33 replies to this topic

#31 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

I get one every year. I have asthma and if I get a cold or flu it turns into pneumonia on me.
This will be my first flu season gluten-free. So far my seasonal allergies and asthma haven't settled down, although I've heard that can be the case for many Celiacs once DXed and on a sctrict diet.
I'm not taking any chances!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:08 AM

I probably will because I have pretty bad asthma and once I get sick I end up sick for a very long time and eventually end up with bronchitis or pnemonia, plus my grandfather is currently going through chemo and I don't want to chance getting him sick.

#33 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

I appreciate this thread because I've been wondering about whether or not to get one. My shot would be free, but like other posters mentioned, I used to get bad colds or bronchitis, even pneumonia every 6-12 months. Once I went gluten-free, that went away. I don't wan't to stimulate my autoimmune system now, since it's just now simmering down. Maybe next year. :(
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#34 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:49 AM

After have a really bad case of the flu almost 20 years ago I always get the flu shot. Always. It makes a difference for me.

I have a history of severe bronchitis and other respiratory issues so once I was diagnosed with Celiac (that was only 2 months ago) the doctor strongly urged me get the pneumonia vaccine. I had it this week and wow was it painful for a couple of days. Here's hoping it works and combined with the gluten-free diet means I don't get nearly so sick this winter as I usually do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: