13 replies to this topic

#1 josh052980

josh052980

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

I saw a thread about Estrella Damm Daura, but still had a question... Has anyone on here actually reacted to it? I'm trying the different gluten free beers to see what I like best, which is difficult because they're hard to find. So far I like Bard's the best, closely followed by Redbridge. I wanna try Estrella if I can find it, but I wanna make sure no one is reacting to it, because I know there's still a bit of gluten in there, but WAY under the threshold where we should react to it. Also read on their site, http://www.estrellad...uten_free_beer/, that they use dedicated lines to produce the beer. If anyone here has tried it, can you let me know your impressions, and most of all, did you react at all?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

It is hard to find but well worth the search! I'm not a big beer drinker mainly I fry gluten-free foods in beer batter but I always taste some first... This in my opinion is very good. I also think Greeen's also is one of the better brands...I have or know some real beer drinkers & it passed thier test!So did Green's but others they did not like!

hth

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

I'm trying Bard's tonight with sausage, sauerkraut, apples, potatoes, and onions! Yum!

I'll look for Estrella. Have you tried a BevMo or Total Wine?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

I'm trying Bard's tonight with sausage, sauerkraut, apples, potatoes, and onions! Yum!

I'll look for Estrella. Have you tried a BevMo or Total Wine?

Nope, I haven't tried either... There's no Total Wine locations near me, and their website sucks ass. There is one local store that has a ton of foreign beer and wine though, so I'm gonna go look this weekend. Everyone is saying Estrella is expensive, but according to BevMo it's $7.99 for a 6 pack... That's not too bad.

#5 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

that is what I paid for it!

#6 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

I've tried it once or twice and didn't have any issues. I think they test it to less than 20ppm. If I had to rank what I've had:

Bards
Estrella
Redbridge
New Grist

Bards I quite like, and I used to always drink darker beers. Redbridge is drinkable, but it's about on par with a generic light beer. I would get wine or cider over New Grist.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#7 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

I've tried it once or twice and didn't have any issues. I think they test it to less than 20ppm. If I had to rank what I've had:

Bards
Estrella
Redbridge
New Grist

Bards I quite like, and I used to always drink darker beers. Redbridge is drinkable, but it's about on par with a generic light beer. I would get wine or cider over New Grist.

I hated New Grist... The after taste was terrible.

#8 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

No offense but I absolutely detest beer. So, why am I posting, you ask? Wondering if there is such a thing as good gluten-free Guiness in Canada for British Steak and Ale Pie. I can handle it in that but definitely not to drink.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#9 josh052980

josh052980

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:44 AM

Bards
Estrella
Redbridge
New Grist

Well, I found the beer, and tried it. Sadly, I felt it was only ok. Bard's is still the king of gluten free's in my mind. PLUS Estrella gave me very minor gluten symptoms 2 days or so after I drank it.

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

No offense but I absolutely detest beer. So, why am I posting, you ask? Wondering if there is such a thing as good gluten-free Guiness in Canada for British Steak and Ale Pie. I can handle it in that but definitely not to drink.

Can you get Greens Dubble Dark? I think that's the name. I think it would be good to cook with.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

Can you get Greens Dubble Dark? I think that's the name. I think it would be good to cook with.

Thanks, Karen. I will check to see whether it is available here. My husband has a fierce hankering for some Steak and Ale Pie! Well, um, so do I... :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#12 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

Have you looked at New Planet Beer?

I'm another non-beer drinker posting, LOL, but my father and brother claim this is the best gluten-free beer they've had. I know they've had Bard's and Redbridge, so that's probably what they were comparing to.

It looks like the company is small but expanding, and so not available in every state. They do have a website, however.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#13 jefnik

jefnik

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:31 AM

My wife, who has celiac, really loves the taste of Daura, but it has been giving her symptoms, so last week we tested it using the EZ Gluten test kit from ELISA Technologies. We came up with a reading that did not match any of the results described in the test kit booklet, so we called ELISA Tech directly. According to their representative, the reading we got was a positive for a high level of glutenin (as opposed to gliadin). The rep explained that the most commonly used tests for gluten measure only gliadin, while EZ Gluten measures both glutenin and gliadin levels (both of which are components of gluten). So if the brewery, Estrella Damm, is only measuring the gliadin levels, it's possible that they could come up with a reading of less than 6 ppm. But a low reading for gliadin is not the same as a low reading for gluten. Daura may still have very high glutenin levels, thereby causing celiac reactions.

I've written to Estrella Damm for more information about their testing process, but they have not responded. It's interesting that Daura has not been certified gluten-free. (Unless perhaps there's some kind of rule that entering a beer into a gluten-free beer contest is a substitute for gluten-free certification.)

#14 singlutinoya

singlutinoya

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

My wife, who has celiac, really loves the taste of Daura, but it has been giving her symptoms, so last week we tested it using the EZ Gluten test kit from ELISA Technologies. We came up with a reading that did not match any of the results described in the test kit booklet, so we called ELISA Tech directly. According to their representative, the reading we got was a positive for a high level of glutenin (as opposed to gliadin). The rep explained that the most commonly used tests for gluten measure only gliadin, while EZ Gluten measures both glutenin and gliadin levels (both of which are components of gluten). So if the brewery, Estrella Damm, is only measuring the gliadin levels, it's possible that they could come up with a reading of less than 6 ppm. But a low reading for gliadin is not the same as a low reading for gluten. Daura may still have very high glutenin levels, thereby causing celiac reactions.

I've written to Estrella Damm for more information about their testing process, but they have not responded. It's interesting that Daura has not been certified gluten-free. (Unless perhaps there's some kind of rule that entering a beer into a gluten-free beer contest is a substitute for gluten-free certification.)

I'm so glad you shared this! DAURA BEER MADE ME SO SICK. Definitely, definitely glutened. Maybe this is why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: