This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Super Sensitive Please Help.

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I am super sensitive to gluten and recently to casein. I have just recently given up all processed foods with the exception of a select few. I thought that I was reacting to Lays Stax so I quit those. I KNOW I reacted to rice Chex. I am ok with Betty Crocker yellow cake mix. I make my banana bread with that. So other than the cake mix and bisquick which are produced in a dedicated facility and Smart Balance spread which is gluten-free and cf, I am not consuming anything processed. I has a bad reaction to Stax and Chex earlier this week and I just finished off the chex tonight with my homemaderice milk and I was in the bathroom with a reaction minutes later.

Are any of you THIS sensitive? I guess I am going to have to go with foods that I make myself. Sigh...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I've been scared to try chex.

I'm afraid I am that sensitive too.

But I can't say for sure...because I just don't test things very often.

Kettle Brand Kettle chips don't bother me. Do they bother you?

I eat those and Rudy's bread and that is about it...except for some chocolate.

GFreeMO Proficient

I am afraid to try kettle chips. Once I feel better, I will give them a try. It's hard going from a person who could eat anything to someone who is super sensitive to gluten and casein. I suppose going back to basics and eating meat, fruit and veg would be the best thing for me. It seems like I keep getting more and more sensitive as time goes on.

Thanks for your help.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I'm right there with you.

I used to think Oh I can do this!

I would eat in restaurants...but after a few attempts failed...I decided it's just not worth it..ugh!

Maybe there are certain products that are always safe for super-sensitives...and we will find them! Wouldn't that be nice?

Should start a list of things that never make anybody ill...ever.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Yes, there are others who are that sensitive. I react to rice chex too. I haven't even tried those other things. Last winter I found that I even had problems with store bought produce. I'm trying to grow more of my own. I've been freezing stuff like crazy to last over the winter.

At least I have control over what I eat. It's harder to control exposure to environmental gluten.

My daughter got glutened yesterday when she washed her hands, but then touched a doorknob before eating her lunch. She knew it might be a problem, but didn't think that it would. Wrong! She looked 6 months pregnant last night.

aprildawn700 Newbie

I am super sensitive to gluten and recently to casein. I have just recently given up all processed foods with the exception of a select few. I thought that I was reacting to Lays Stax so I quit those. I KNOW I reacted to rice Chex. I am ok with Betty Crocker yellow cake mix. I make my banana bread with that. So other than the cake mix and bisquick which are produced in a dedicated facility and Smart Balance spread which is gluten-free and cf, I am not consuming anything processed. I has a bad reaction to Stax and Chex earlier this week and I just finished off the chex tonight with my homemaderice milk and I was in the bathroom with a reaction minutes later.

Are any of you THIS sensitive? I guess I am going to have to go with foods that I make myself. Sigh...

Hi!

I saw your post today and I just had to reply because I sooooo know what you are going through. To answer your question, yes some people are really sensitive! I am definitely one of those people. It took me a long time to figure out what I can and cannot tolerate. Mostly I've figured things out by trial and error (unfortunately). It is really hard because there are so many "gluten free" products on the market now that look really delicious, but I cannot tolerate 99% of them :( I have not found a brand of potato chip that I can tolerate, and I'm pretty sure I've tried them all. I make my own in the oven now. I also have not found a brand of cereal that I can eat. I make hot cereal from brown rice that I grind in a coffee grinder though. I had really made peace with it for the most part, but now that I am pregnant :) I can't even walk down the cereal aisle at the market without wanting to cry. Anyhow, I know everyone is different in what they can and can't tolerate, and I know that some people are even more sensitive than I am. But below is a list of processed foods that I have found I can tolerate so maybe this will help you.

Tinkyada rice pasta

Silk Almond Milk

Heinz ketchup

Kraft BBQ Sauce

Smuckers natural peanut butter

Kinnikinnick white sandwich bread

Hunt's canned tomatoes

I am usually ok with the regular store brand of granulated sugar or brown sugar although I have used Domino with no problem too. Also, never had a problem with any brand of olive oil I've tried. You can make amazing peanut butter cookies from just peanut butter, eggs and sugar (if you can tolerate these foods).

Hang in there, it will get easier!

lizard00 Enthusiast

I am super sensitive, too. I avoid most processed foods and cook/bake the majority of what I eat from scratch.

There are things I have never had a problem with, and then there's things that usually leave me feeling icky, even though they're supposed to be safe. And potato chips are one of them. I used to love chips, but most of the time they don't sit too well so I just avoid them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

T.H. Community Regular

Yeah, lot of us are right there with you. I agree: sigh. I'm off dairy as well, too. And eggs and soy, but seriously, without dairy and gluten, most processed food is gone anyway, yeah?

I have a brand of oil and a salt that I can eat safely. I had a whole grain sorghum, but it looks like I'm reacting to it so it's outta here for a while. I just found out it shares a harvester and processing equipment with gluten grain places, so that's likely the problem.

Otherwise, I'm trying very hard to become a better cook with lots of home grown herbs, veggies and a few fruit, and a little meat. Because at this point, it looks like I'll never eat good food again otherwise and I so, so, SO miss good tasting food.

I'd better become super-whole-foods-chef soon. ;)

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I just found out it shares a harvester and processing equipment with gluten grain places, so that's likely the problem.

Last I checked it was just harvester and not processing equipment. They clean the harvester for 2 days and then use the first large amount (I forgot how much) for the animals. Nonetheless, I have found both corn and wheat in it.

T.H. Community Regular

Oh thanks, Steph! I got that information second hand and didn't double check it. Ha, teach me to stop doing that! :-)

Msbhaven1800 Newbie

I am newly diagnosed with gluten sensitivity. I have read that non food items such as hand lotion, chap stick, and lipsticks could be a problem. Are there any that are safe? If I call the manufacturers, what questions do I ask?

Archived