21 replies to this topic

#16 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:49 AM

oh dear... I'm not good with oz of stuffs :< Any idea what that would be in cups?

It does look heavenly though.

Next to anything that says 'oz' it lists the equivilant in cups, tsp or TBS :)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:56 AM

Search for an online measurement converter. They are free and they work.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#18 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:12 PM

oh god, i must be blind not to see that :blink: tells you how tired i am

#19 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:40 PM

Actually . . . I really like the looks of the one that Rachelle linked to . . . but here is another option that is a hit at our house.

I use the Pamela's wheatfree/glutefree bread mix and mix it up as the sweet bread version (directions are on the package). Then I mix about 1/2 cup sugar with a Tbls or so of cinnamon (or whatever looks good to you) and fold it into the dough/batter so that it's swirly and not thoroughly mixed. Spoon it into muffin tins and let rise and cook like you were making the dinner rolls (directions on the package). Top with the glaze that one of the previous posters mentioned. They freeze well (unglazed) . . . just defrost/heat in the microwave.

I use to do a whole procedure of rolling them out like a true cinnimon roll but it's quite messy and time consuming and my kids don't care because these taste the same.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#20 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:22 AM

Ok. Tried the Udi's cinnamon rolls.

If you like gooey rolls with lots of filling they aren't for you. I was pleasantly surprised by the texture and flavor - but they are dry. They don't "fill" them at all.

Microwave them to heat them, don't use an oven. I'd even suggest a damp paper towel over the top.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#21 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

I make these every Christmas (and Easter and Mother's Day and, and, and). I make them Christmas Eve (late afternoon) and then just leave dough in fridge until Christmas morning. Bake while opening presents. They are fabulous and really easy once you get past the detailed instructions!

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons butter (or shortening)
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup of warm milk
1 tablespoon yeast
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup potato starch
1 cup corn starch or tapioca starch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons xantham gum
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 - 2 tablespoons sugar (to sprinkle on wrap when rolling out dough)

FILLING
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons chopped pecans (optional)
1 tablespoon melted butter (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix warm milk and yeast. Stir well to fully dissolve. Allow to proof for approximately 5 minutes.
In medium bowl, combine butter and sugar. Mix well.
Add milk/yeast to sugar mixture. Add remaining ingredients. Mix very well, being sure to remove all lumps. Dough will be very soft and sticky.

Dough before being mixed properly.

Final dough consistency.

Use plastic wrap or Ziploc bag (see note below on how to prepare bag). Lay wrap/bag out so it covers a 13 1/2" x 13 1/2" square. Sprinkle sugar on the bag. Lay ball of dough on top of sugared bag. Place a second sheet of wrap or fold bag over to cover the dough. Pat the dough down into a roughly squarish pancake. Lift the top wrap up and then reposition it as needed. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough in between the two layers of wrap. Occasionally you'll have to lift and reposition the wrap because it gets "stuck" under the edges. You might have to occasionally flip the whole thing over. Make sure that when you're done you have ABOUT a 13 1/2" x 13 1/2" square of dough.
Remove top piece of wrap/bag.

Rolled out dough.

Combine filling ingredients. Spread evenly across dough's surface. Leave about a 1 1/2" sugar free edge because when you roll the dough all the sugar shifts and fills this in; otherwise all the sugar spills out.

Dough with filling.

Use the bottom piece of wrap/bag to lift the edge of the dough and start to roll it up forming a long cylinder. Start with the sugary edge, which will be the center of your roll and roll toward the sugarless edge. Cut off or trim up the irregular ends of your "log". Then cut into 8 or 9 slices of similar size, about 1 1/2" wide.

Rolling dough into log.

Place rolls into a greased round glass pie pan.
At this point you may cover and put in the fridge, if making them the night before.

Bake approximately 20 minutes, until tops are lightly browned.

Notes:
** The mixture is very, very soft – You may think you’ve made a mistake, but that’s just the way it is.

GLAZE
¾ cup powdered or confectioner’s sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
milk
Combine powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk to make glaze. Add as much or as little milk as needed to get desired consistency. Stir until all lumps are dissolved. Drizzle over warm rolls. For variation, add 1-2 tablespoons softened cream cheese.

Ziploc Bag Preparation: Use 2 gallon size Ziploc. Cut the side seams (leave the bottom intact) so you get a large rectangle. These are really useful for all sorts of rolled dough recipes since gluten-free can be very sticky.

#22 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

Although I have not tried this yet, I was thinking of making a batch of homemade bread dough, dropping spoonfuls of it into a bowl of cinnamon/sugar and rolling them around to completely coat, then piling all of the balls into the loaf pan and baking as usual. Kind of like monkey bread, could be pulled apart or sliced. Could be that it would be better to dunk each ball of dough in melted butter before rolling in the sugar/cinnamon to make it more gooey.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: