This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depressed And Hungry....

jenbunni87

jenbunni87 Newbie

I was just recently diagnosed with celiacs disease and I lived 24 years of eating whatever I wanted and now I have to be gluten free I honestly just want to eat everything with wheat (I havent) but this is so difficult and it sucks please can anyone recommend stuff to eat I live in a hotel and only have access to microwave

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moose07 Apprentice

I'd say go for some fruit. That may not be what you want to hear but it works for me, especially when I'm craving sweets and since you don't really need to cook fruit. Vegetables too, I eat baby carrots like there is no tomorrow, I'm waiting until I turn orange to stop. If you want bread I personally think Udi's is the best but invest in a toaster because gluten free bread is a lot better when toasted. If I'm craving bread I eat their cinnamon raisin bagels with a little bit of berry cream cheese.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Do you have a small fridge? If so, get a small electric fry pan...and buy meat...hamburgers, steak, chicken breast...all can be quickly and easily done in an electric skillet. Salad greens if you tolerate raw veggies. You need protein...and canned meats are not good enough...they are full of preservatives. If that is all you have access to it can do in a pinch. But you need to re-learn to eat. And if you are not vegetarian, it is a lovely way to eat...steak, eggs, gluten free toast, bacon, salads, vegetables and fruit. Nuts to snack on. You need to keep food handy and ready to eat so you are less tempted to eat junk. Junk is craved for when the blood sugar drops too low...also your moods will follow that drop...so keep plenty of meat, fruit and vegetables on hand. If you don't have a fridge you can still eat right...you just have to go to the store every day instead of every few days.

Wheat is not worth it.

You have found out while you are young. I know it is hard to be thankful for all the diseases you have avoided, but you must find a way to be grateful that there is healthy food you CAN eat...and lot's of it. I was sick until I was 47, never knowing it was wheat. You can take any food away from me now...because I know the precious secret to life is not to eat wheat.

You could still be having withdrawal from gluten which is quite powerful and makes you feel as if wheat is the only thing that is real food. But nothing could be further from the truth. You have to eat good food to heal both your body and your mind.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew is gluten free if there is no way for you to cook fresh meat. I hope you will be patient with yourself through this time, but also try to look at the good that can come of it. You will heal and hopefully not have all the secondary problems those of us diagnosed in our 40's and 50's had. If I could go back to my 20's and know not to eat wheat I would have had an entirely different life. I do wish you the best and hope you get lots of ideas from people here.

Katrala Contributor

Taste of Thai rice noodle things.

Udi's bread. Peanut butter.

Nutella.

Fruits and Veggies (you probably know that already)

Tortillas or Lettuce with whatever inside (seriously, whatever, get creative!)

Cheese if you have a fridge.

Cereal (Chex, Fruity Pebbles, gluten-free Rice Krispies, etc.)

Marilyn R Community Regular

Rice cakes with cheese melted on top, or with peanut butter. A salad of canned beets and fresh or canned mandarin orange segments.

Microwaved sweet potato. Or Microwave a white potato, cut it in half & scoop a bit of the the potato out. Add 1/3 cup or 1/4 cup of safe canned chili to top it with. And cheese. Do you have a refrigerator or can you use a cooler? If you're in a hotel, the ice is free..

You can scramble eggs in a microwave, and add cheese (and that potatoe you dug out of the skin).

Spam is gluten-free and so is Dintry Moore Beef Stew, as is Hormel Corned Beef Hash. And on a happier note, Snicker bars.

And you can make nachos with the chili, corn chips and cheese. There are thousands of things you can eat. Try to focus (I know it's hard) on what you can have vs. what you cannot.

Good luck, wish you well.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Get a rice cooker and/or a crockpot. Easy meals that way.

AVR1962 Collaborator

I was just recently diagnosed with celiacs disease and I lived 24 years of eating whatever I wanted and now I have to be gluten free I honestly just want to eat everything with wheat (I havent) but this is so difficult and it sucks please can anyone recommend stuff to eat I live in a hotel and only have access to microwave

In some ways I wish I would have known when I was your age. I think the adjustment would ahve been a bit easier than being 48, like myself, and having your world change. It is an adjustment either way and it will go get easier with time and you figure out what you can and cannot eat. Hang in there!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Twinklestars Contributor

Yes, definitely get a rice cooker and a slow cooker/crockpot!! You can make soup, stews, casseroles, curries, roast dinners (meat, veg and all!), bolognaise sauce, desserts and more!! Potato/sweet potato in the microwave, pudding in the microwave, rice porridge in the microwave. There's lots you can do :) Chin up, being gluten free isn't all bad.

Takala Enthusiast

You can bake gluten free fresh breads and cakes in the microwave, using a cereal bowl or very small casserole ramekin or a mug. Easy and fast.

Bun in the Bowl, microwaved

You can use any sort of gluten free flours with this, because the egg is binding enough that it won't crumble. If you cannot use egg, you can try a mixture of 1/3 each buckwheat flour, potato starch, and garbanzo bean flour, which also makes a pancake that needs no egg. Buckwheat kernels or kasha can be ground in a coffee grinder if you cannot find the flour. Also, almond meal can be made that way, or in a blender. Almond and amaranth are other gluten free flours which work well as part of the mixtures used without xanthan gum. This sort of recipe also works with a pre made gluten free flour mixture such as Pamela's. To make a "muffin" or a cake, just add more sweetener of your preference, and some vanilla extract or chocolate such as cocoa powder or chips, or some lemon juice and grated lemon peel.

jenbunni87 Newbie

Thank you for all your help :D I just am frustrated Im still sick like nausea and vomiting and that is stressful because I just want to stop being nauseated It was a few years I have been getting sick and was finally in the right place for proper care I and I am cold all the time as well have lost alot of weight and if I dont have the IC ONDANESETRON HCL I throw up more but the medicine is so expensive and the ones they gave me this time I went through so quick because they were a lesser dosage and didnt work as well Im also frustrated because all the internal medicine physicians the most closest appointment isn't till december at earliest and one of them even told me march

Marilyn R Community Regular

Hi Jen,

I'm not really sure about what that medication is, and you really shouldn't require medication if you have celiac disease (except some supplements). If you're still having symptoms, there are a few other common food intolerances that start for some people that go gluten-free. (Soy, dairy, corn)

As far as finally finding good care, it's great that you were diagnosed with celiac disease. However, most doctors don't offer much in the way of advice or support once you've been diagnosed. It's so good that you found this forum, because you will find help and some good answers.

Meantime, I know it must be frustrating trying to do a gluten-free diet in a hotel with only a microwave. Wish you well.

imracin68j Rookie

Who cares about wheat. You won't even think about it after a while.

El Pollo loco - ALmost all gluten free

Mexican food - Almost all gluten free - flour tortillas

Candy bars - most gluten free - Reesees rule.

Udi's bread - Their products taste as good as or not better than regular bread.

Wendy's - most don't mix their frys in other oils

In and out - protien style and fries

Drinks - all good

Cereals - fruity pebbles, all chex are clean

Breakfast - Gluten free pancake mix, eggs, bacon etc.

I was more surprised on what we could eat rather than what we couldn't

Stop freaking out and being depressed or your going to kick on IBS for a long time. Then you'll have stomach problems and think its your Celiac when it's probably not.

jenbunni87 Newbie

The medicine is so I dont throw up all day It helps it so I have a appetite and able to eat I am slowly adjusting I am glad I can eat hormel chili what about crackers I love saltines what do u reccomend for that

imracin68j Rookie

Corn tortilla chip. Put one in your hand and crunch it over. Better than a cracker anyway. It's really no big deal seriously. Even Pizza places are starting to carry glutten free pizza. You can get any product now gluten free at the local supermarket. 5 years from now it will be even more mainstream than it's becoming now.

KiwiBrit Rookie

I am also new to celiac. Its tough and depressing. I miss everything I can no longer have.

Im a huge bread lover. Now im a huge gluten-free bread lover. ;)

Keep your chin up.

kitgordon Explorer

Nut thins crackers are good, and the Glutino ones aren't bad, either.

jenbunni87 Newbie

So far the bread I have tried is just soooo bleh like no flavor it taste weird I do like whatever they use for quesadillas and burritoes at this glutenfree restaurant

Poppi Enthusiast

So far the bread I have tried is just soooo bleh like no flavor it taste weird I do like whatever they use for quesadillas and burritoes at this glutenfree restaurant

My advice would be to skip the bread for a few weeks or longer. Your taste buds still remember gluten bread and gluten free bread is very different. After a few weeks grab a loaf of white Udi's or Glutino Genius. It's best toasted but a quick zap in the microwave might soften it up.

If I was in a hotel my days would probably look like this (I am going to assume you have a fridge and can buy a toaster and a kettle:

Breafast:

Cereal and milk (gluten-free Rice Chex, gluten-free Rice Krispies, gluten-free Instant Oatmeal)

Scrambled egg in a corn tortilla with salsa, cheese and avocado

Udi's toast with peanut butter and a cup of chai

Van's Toaster waffles with syrup and fruit

Chobani yogurt and fruit

Lunch or Dinner:

Baked potato with canned chili

Salad with goat cheese, pecans, strawberries and a balsamic dressing

Hot dog on an Udi's bun

Thai Noodle Cart instant noodles

Stirfry (you can microwave rice in a little microwave rice cooker, steam veggies in a bowl and cook sliced up chicken on a plate) with gluten-free sauce

Take out sushi. Talk to the chef, if he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about go to the next place. I found a place in town that gets it and has fed me well.

Snacks:

Kinnikinnick gluten-free graham crackers with peanut butter

Corn thins with cheese melted on top... would be good with avocado and tomato too

Cut veggies with gluten-free dip

Tortilla chips and salsa

Smart Food white cheddar popcorn

Good luck. I've been sick enough for ondansetron before, it sucks. I was pregnant though so at least I knew there was an end date. I have to ask but isn't the ondansetron making you constipated? That is a pretty severe side effect, make sure you are taking steps to counteract that as being backed up will make you feel awful too and can make the nausea worse.

ArtistinChina Newbie

Dear Jennbunny87,

I feel a lot of compassion for you because I just realized that I also have coeliac. I made all the tests and food restriction since 3 months after being soooo sic (have always had coeliac symptoms but had no clue it was related to that desease). These days, when I tried to reincorporate wheat, or soy, or corn to my diet, I got sick, and still I am (have a constant cramp in my tummy, diarrhea, bloating, rashes and nausea).

Therefore, I am depressed and hungry. Sometimes, I rather skip a meal than being sick again. I was so depressed through the week end and up until today, I tell you, there was no sign of hope I thought. Then, I posted on FB that I am making my 'coming out' by saying to everyone 'I am gluten intolerant' than I got some support from my friends. I mean, I leave in China and my friends are in Canada...Have some here of course, but it's is not the same you know. Anyway! Then hope came from a lady who told me she healed herself from irritable bowel with medecine plants. I know this is not coeliac, but I thought, why not me too? Perhaps some chinese medecine can work? As a matter of fact, this summer while I was so sick and did not know what was going wrong, I went to see a chinese doctor who told me, just by looking at my tongue, eyes and taking my pulse that my digestive system was higlhy damaged. She gave me some medecine and recommanded that I would stop eating chinese food. She was almost right. In fact, now I know soy and wheat (no more dumplings and chinese soups:( ) are the main irritants for my system...

Well, tonight I gave myself a kick in the but and I went to the supermarket and bought all I could find that is gluten-soy-corn-sugar free (quite a challenge in a country where it is hard to find a bag of Frito-Lay chips). When I came back home, I cooked myself a soup, a steak with some brocoli and for desert, tapioca with coconut milk *(that type of milk I am not sure yet if it is okay for me...another test to run). Now it feels much better (beside the cramps that are still there), because I am not hungry anymore and I am a bit less sad too.

The hardest part for me these last days was: how will I find the time to take care of that disease--alas take care of me! Since I leave in China, I got so leasy on cooking because it is hard to find ingredients that I use to cook with, also because my oven works on propane that heats on and off...and street food is everywhere, so convenient! It seems like these days are gone...for now. I think it is okay. What my body tries to tell me is that it is enough of OGM in my system and enough of wheat anyway in everything.

I'm not yet at that point where I feel comfortable saying to people: I have coeliac disease. First because my diagnose has been done by my own deductions and by talking to other people who have that disease (plus a friend that is nutritionnist who helps me tracking those intolerances); looking back at all the symptoms I have had since I am a kid that are described into all coeliac websites and wikipedia makes me say this is what I have. Second, because I don't know yet how to deal with it. So I don't wanna have to face that 'OMG, what will you do then if you can't eat this and that?'.

Well, I am challenging myself even then. This week end I have a dragon boat race, need to be gone 3 days. I told our team captain that I would have to bring my own food --so skip team meals at the restaurant-- and cook for myself because of some gluten intolerance. This is a start.

I don't know if this post is useful for you. I am kindly trying to tell you that you can make your way out of resistance...I think it will come one step at a time.

Keep in touch and courage. ;-)

jenbunni87 Newbie

I cant wait till I stop getting sick to my stomach fortunantly the last 2 days I haven't had any nausea medicine and haven't been nauseated my stomach hurts a little but I think it's because I eat before like 10-11 and dont eat again till I wake up maybe noon or 1-2

jenbunni87 Newbie

My advice would be to skip the bread for a few weeks or longer. Your taste buds still remember gluten bread and gluten free bread is very different. After a few weeks grab a loaf of white Udi's or Glutino Genius. It's best toasted but a quick zap in the microwave might soften it up.

If I was in a hotel my days would probably look like this (I am going to assume you have a fridge and can buy a toaster and a kettle:

Breafast:

Cereal and milk (gluten-free Rice Chex, gluten-free Rice Krispies, gluten-free Instant Oatmeal)

Scrambled egg in a corn tortilla with salsa, cheese and avocado

Udi's toast with peanut butter and a cup of chai

Van's Toaster waffles with syrup and fruit

Chobani yogurt and fruit

Lunch or Dinner:

Baked potato with canned chili

Salad with goat cheese, pecans, strawberries and a balsamic dressing

Hot dog on an Udi's bun

Thai Noodle Cart instant noodles

Stirfry (you can microwave rice in a little microwave rice cooker, steam veggies in a bowl and cook sliced up chicken on a plate) with gluten-free sauce

Take out sushi. Talk to the chef, if he doesn't seem to know what he's talking about go to the next place. I found a place in town that gets it and has fed me well.

Snacks:

Kinnikinnick gluten-free graham crackers with peanut butter

Corn thins with cheese melted on top... would be good with avocado and tomato too

Cut veggies with gluten-free dip

Tortilla chips and salsa

Smart Food white cheddar popcorn

Good luck. I've been sick enough for ondansetron before, it sucks. I was pregnant though so at least I knew there was an end date. I have to ask but isn't the ondansetron making you constipated? That is a pretty severe side effect, make sure you are taking steps to counteract that as being backed up will make you feel awful too and can make the nausea worse.

So that is why I was constapated and now that I think about it I have been using the restroom i noticed i wasnt nauseated my stomach hurts a little but not nauseated

Archived