25 replies to this topic

#1 dws

dws

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

I do ok with the clear Bacardi Rum. However, I am missing some of the more rich flavors of the dark rums like Pusser's and Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum. Anyone know if contamination from barrels or additives for color are a problem with those? Any other suggestions would be welcome. Another one I like is Cock's Spur (I think that's the name. I know it had something to do with a chicken's foot).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

I think Sailor Jerry's is okay. If you're still healing, alcohol can be hard on your gut, or the mixer can be. Many standard mixes have corn fructose syuup or high fructose period. My dr. warned me that I'm really likely to have diabetes, which pretty much eliminates alcoholic beverages, darn it! :unsure:
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

I don't know of a rum that isn't gluten-free. Caramel color is a celiac myth that just keeps going like the Energizer bunny. The barrel myth also circulates, but no credible organization lists wine or spirits as being a concern on that basis. As I type this, I am sipping Bacardi Gold on the rocks. If that were a problem, I would know for sure. :ph34r:
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

I've heard that Cruzan coconut rum may be okay for folks who can tolerate <10 ppm or less products all right. Don't know if that's a dark one or not, however.

The barrel issue really depends on how sensitive you are. The issue hasn't been studied with sensitive celiacs in mind, so anecdotal evidence that some celiacs have trouble with this is the best we've got. I don't think that's unusual, sadly. It's only recently that celiacs with neurological problems had anything other than anecdotal evidence of their issues, either. I takes testing and research a while to catch up with all celiacs' experience.

However, if you're concerned...if you can eat most gluten free regular processed food, then barrels are likely not an issue. Most people I know of who can have these foods, like Peter, don't have trouble with it.

If you get sick from most gluten free products, however, then you might have a problem with the barrels. If that's a concern, I would call up an individual company and ask them about their barrels and potential gluten contact.

Re: coloring additives, they could be potential issues if the alcohol is imported from a country where wheat is more commonly used for coloring than corn. So alcohol from Australia and many countries in the UK and Europe could be an issue. Here in the States, it's typically a corn based coloring. Another issue for the imports is that alcohol does not have to adhere to the allergen law of the FDA, when it comes to allergens added. So a wheat-based coloring does not have to be declared.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

Foods sold in the US must conform to US labeling rules, no matter where they are made. If you know of a case where this is not true, please post it here and notify the FDA to initiate the recall process.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#6 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:56 AM

Foods sold in the US must conform to US labeling rules, no matter where they are made. If you know of a case where this is not true, please post it here and notify the FDA to initiate the recall process.

Except beverages containing more than 7% alcohol are regulated by the ATTB, not the FDA. Gluten free beer is currently regulated by the FDA. However, rum is not, so rum labels don't have to explicitly state that they contain wheat derived ingredients.

From the food allergy and Anaphylaxis network:

15. Will FALCPA apply to meat or alcoholic beverages?

No. FALCPA does not apply to the labeling of products regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), such as meat and poultry products, or to the labeling of products regulated by the Alcohol Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (ATTB), such as distilled spirits, wine, and beer. Both the USDA and the ATTB have indicated an interest in amending their regulations to harmonize their labeling requirements with FALCPA. For now, meat and poultry products and alcoholic beverages will not be subject to allergen labeling requirements on January 1, 2006. (http://www.foodaller...faq#Question 14)

T.H.

#7 dws

dws

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

I don't know of a rum that isn't gluten-free. Caramel color is a celiac myth that just keeps going like the Energizer bunny. The barrel myth also circulates, but no credible organization lists wine or spirits as being a concern on that basis. As I type this, I am sipping Bacardi Gold on the rocks. If that were a problem, I would know for sure. :ph34r:

Peter, are you a super sensitive celiac? When I was 1st diagnosed as gluten intolerant, I drank bourbon and all kinds of liquer and did fine. I also ate plenty of processed gluten free food. The fun did not last, though. I now have to avoid all processed foods and am gradually trying to figure out what vices I can go back to. Some of your posts seem to follow some of the mainstream knowledge about cc. The mainstream pool of knowledge just does not work for me anymore. 20ppm causes problems for me. I, like medical professionals used to scoff at some of the posts on this site, but karma has caught up with me and the advice I've gotten from super celiacs has helped me alot. I may just go ahead and experiment with some darker rums. It's hard to get more than generic answers from produt info sites. Maybe I'll give Bacardi Gold a try again.

#8 weluvgators

weluvgators

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:09 AM

I have drunk Mount Gay rum, and I like it. I have been too timid to try any other ones, and just haven't been drinking rum lately. But it is the one my husband keeps in the house, and all the times that I have drunk it have been fine.

I appreciate hearing which ones you can drink, as I have had trouble finding the Mount Gay sometimes when we travel.
My super silly red siren is my guiding light. She has been a tremendous lesson for me in how gluten affects different people in very different ways. She is a super duper silly girl that was simply born that way. I have no idea why I am so blessed to have her guidance.

#9 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

Sailor Jerry's is a dark rum made in the USA btw. ;)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#10 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

Captain Morgan's is gluten-free. I've yet to find a liquor where the coloring contained gluten no matter what country it came from.

#11 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

I think that some of the answers you are getting are from conventional celiacs and not super sensitive celiacs. Often one clicks on new content and then doesn't pay attention to the subsection of the forum.

It is a good idea to mention again in the post that you are super sensitive. I don't know of a good rum for a super sensitive. I'd like to though.

#12 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Peter, are you a super sensitive celiac?

No, I would call my sensitivity typical. I am symptomatic, and do react to small levels of gluten. Just what "small" is presents a topic for eternal debate. Bacardi rum is made in North America (including Puerto Rico, a US territory). No grains are used in the production of the liquor. The color in those versions that have color is derived from corn.
Peter

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

I think that some of the answers you are getting are from conventional celiacs and not super sensitive celiacs. Often one clicks on new content and then doesn't pay attention to the subsection of the forum.

It is a good idea to mention again in the post that you are super sensitive. I don't know of a good rum for a super sensitive. I'd like to though.

And what rums have you found that DO contain gluten....? Curious to know and any substantiation would be helpful.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#14 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

And what rums have you found that DO contain gluten....? Curious to know and any substantiation would be helpful.

http://www.10cane.com/

This one tested positive with a home gluten test kit, but it was below 20 ppm, so anyone who eats regular gluten free products should be fine with it.

T.H.

#15 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

http://www.10cane.com/

This one tested positive with a home gluten test kit, but it was below 20 ppm, so anyone who eats regular gluten free products should be fine with it.

I'm talking about substantiated facts.

Was the company contacted? What was their response?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: