33 replies to this topic

#1 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:25 PM

Hi all :) I was wondering whether anyone knows if Don boneless leg ham from the deli in Coles is gluten free?
Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:33 AM

Not sure - but I do know that all primo products are 100% gluten free! I rang them and asked!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#3 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:58 AM

Thanks :) Good to know about the Primo products! I'm doubtful about the Don ham at the moment. I had it for lunch, not even thinking whether ham was gluten free (you'd think it was okay!) and now my tummy is very bloated and painful and I feel a bit shaky. I've emailed the company and asked, so I'll post back here when I get a response!

#4 desert rose

desert rose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

Yes, it is perfectly safe to eat the ham off the bone from Coles and Woolworths Service Delis.

#5 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

Thanks desert rose :) This wasn't Ham off the bone. It was boneless leg ham. Not sure if there's a difference? It wasn't shaved off the bone.

#6 desert rose

desert rose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Thanks desert rose :) This wasn't Ham off the bone. It was boneless leg ham. Not sure if there's a difference? It wasn't shaved off the bone.

Mmmmm tricky one Twinklestars. Im not sure if they are the same or not. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

#7 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:25 AM

It's a weird question to ask, isn't it? I'm hoping to get an email back from them tomorrow answering my question. Thanks so much for taking the time to try and answer for me though!

#8 Wombat

Wombat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:46 AM

I have always kept away from all of the Don products. "Is Don Is Not Good"..

My preference is Hans (www.hans.com.au) as everythng from them is gluten-free.

#9 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:12 AM

Cheers Wombat :) I think I'll avoid Don as well. Something didn't agree with me!

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:50 AM

Don't know about your particular brands but - if its being cut for you in a deli, are they cutting other things on the same cutter that have gluten. This is a problem I have with our store. We have Boars Head which is all gluten-free but they have a few other things they slice, too, that might not be gluten-free.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:35 PM

I didn't even think about that, thanks kareng! Yes, they would be slicing it with meats that contain gluten. That teaches me, doesn't it! No more sliced deli meat for me! I'll buy it pre packaged instead.

#12 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

Don't know about your particular brands but - if its being cut for you in a deli, are they cutting other things on the same cutter that have gluten. This is a problem I have with our store. We have Boars Head which is all gluten-free but they have a few other things they slice, too, that might not be gluten-free.

Funny you said this. I was at the store Thursday, and they carry a huge Boar's Head selection. I asked if they cut other meats that aren't gluten-free and she simply asked if I wanted the slicer cleaned. I said yes and all appears ok.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#13 desert rose

desert rose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

Funny you said this. I was at the store Thursday, and they carry a huge Boar's Head selection. I asked if they cut other meats that aren't gluten-free and she simply asked if I wanted the slicer cleaned. I said yes and all appears ok.

Isnt it weird how the concept of cross contamination does not occur to stores and resturants?

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:49 PM

Isnt it weird how the concept of cross contamination does not occur to stores and resturants?

No kidding. Heard Subway is testing gluten-free menus. I don't see how they could do it unless it's prepacked. They dip their hands in every container while they handle bread. Cut, pack, hand in container. NO THANKS!!!!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#15 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

If you're going for the packaged stuff, the KR Castlemaine stuff is gluten free too, and labeled (with the symbol of wheat with the arrow through it). I like it when they have the label on the front, because reading the ingredients lists on packaged meats always icks me out and I don't end up buying. I guess that's probably for the best...

Only problem (for me) with the KR Castlemaine is that they reduced the sodium content significantly and now I don't like the taste. Apparently, I'm more fond of the taste of salt than of actual ham :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: