Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Question For Australians

34 posts in this topic

:lol: mushroom!! That's how I may have ended up being glutened by the ham. It's really not something you think about when you don't have to. Many people are just so oblivious to what celiac is and that you can get sick from CC. I really think that all staff working in the hospitality industry where food is involved should undergo a course that explains allergies and intolerances. And there should be a manual that they can reference in the kitchen.

Ads by Google:

Yes!! I had someone trying to peddle me some shaved ham, assuring me it was gluten free, and when I asked if she cleaned the slicer before "shaving" it she had this really puzzled expression for a minute and then the lighbulb turned on and she admitted "no". :lol:

I have been working in a kitchen (yeah.. I know.. seems stupid but it is speeding up my alergy testing like nothing 'home' testing can) where we serve school camps coming to Canberra. Recently an 'elimination' diet child came for about 2 x 4 days of meals. I was amazed that the regular staff and the cook/chef thought some on a 'gluten free' diet could have the tinned spaghetti (on gluten free toast!). When I enquired I was told the mother said that the spaghetti was okay. The parent had reviewed the regular menu and so we feed this sick looking anemic child tinned spaghetti - very hard for me personally - and probably set the families 'elimination diet' back weeks.

I have been working in a kitchen (yeah.. I know.. seems stupid but it is speeding up my alergy testing like nothing 'home' testing can) where we serve school camps coming to Canberra. Recently an 'elimination' diet child came for about 2 x 4 days of meals. I was amazed that the regular staff and the cook/chef thought some on a 'gluten free' diet could have the tinned spaghetti (on gluten free toast!). When I enquired I was told the mother said that the spaghetti was okay. The parent had reviewed the regular menu and so we feed this sick looking anemic child tinned spaghetti - very hard for me personally - and probably set the families 'elimination diet' back weeks.

Poor kid. We can choose our friends but we can't help it if we're born to dumb parents :unsure:

:lol: mushroom!! That's how I may have ended up being glutened by the ham. It's really not something you think about when you don't have to. Many people are just so oblivious to what celiac is and that you can get sick from CC. I really think that all staff working in the hospitality industry where food is involved should undergo a course that explains allergies and intolerances. And there should be a manual that they can reference in the kitchen.

Totaly...my little guy is alergic to shrimp and peanuts and seems to have outgrown a milk allergy.

A few years back,there was a Panda Express inside the grocery store we used to shop at,

Now and then we would buy a little Orange chicken to snack on while we shopped,,,It was his favorite! Well we noticed a few times he was having trouble swallowing and his lips were a little puffy...we were'nt sure why!

The confusing thing was this only happened once in a while, not every time...so we couldn't pin point the exact cause!

Then one day we had our little snack and his throat closed up on him ...he couldn't swallow and had the chicken stuck in his throat!! wouldn't come up,wouldn't go down! he could breath ok...but was very uncofortable..very mucusy,,,face spotty ,a little puffy!

It wasn't quite bad enough to go to the ER but we were ready if he got any worse.

We took him home and tried to get the chicken to go down by having him drink Pepsi ( its a great trick for this type of problem because the acid softens the outer part of the food and the carbonation loosens it as well!!!) finally the whole thing came flying out...litterly!!!

It wasn't till later we found out what really had happened....they were cooking the orange chicken in the same oil as the shrimp!!! we confrounted them on it and they said they didn't use the same oil but I've seen them use it all the time...they even use the same basket!!! talk about cross contamination!!! ;):blink::angry::angry:

Now we buy our Orange chicken at trader joes (in bag)its the same recipe as Panda Express but I make it at HOME!!!

Oh, your poor boy :( That must have been scary.

Well I got a response from Don ham today :rolleyes: They're actually Don KR Castlemaine (I didn't realise they're all the same company!).

They said they are unable to provide a list of gluten free products and I should consult the ingredients on the package :huh:

That does not help me when I specifically told them which product I was asking about and that it was sliced a a deli!

Think I'll just stick to the prepackaged stuff.

Omigod - I used to work in a place like that in Canberra - the Carotel!

No kidding. Heard Subway is testing gluten-free menus. I don't see how they could do it unless it's prepacked. They dip their hands in every container while they handle bread. Cut, pack, hand in container. NO THANKS!!!!

Subway is the one thing I really miss. But as you say the environment would have to be really controlled for me to trust them. Even then I couldnt take the risk.

Oh, your poor boy :( That must have been scary.

Well I got a response from Don ham today :rolleyes: They're actually Don KR Castlemaine (I didn't realise they're all the same company!).

They said they are unable to provide a list of gluten free products and I should consult the ingredients on the package :huh:

That does not help me when I specifically told them which product I was asking about and that it was sliced a a deli!

Think I'll just stick to the prepackaged stuff.

I had no idea they were the same company, Twinklestars. Weird - Don stuff doesn't make any gluten free claims but the KR Castlemaine stuff definately does. I wonder if they were two separate companies (with separate manufacturing plants) that ended up all owned by the same people.

I had no idea they were the same company, Twinklestars. Weird - Don stuff doesn't make any gluten free claims but the KR Castlemaine stuff definately does. I wonder if they were two separate companies (with separate manufacturing plants) that ended up all owned by the same people.

That's what I was thinking. I was surprised to see it in the email. The Don website doesn't mention KR Castlemaine (that I saw). The wording in the email was dodgy. I'm definitely avoiding Don.