This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question For Australians

Twinklestars

Twinklestars Contributor

Hi all :) I was wondering whether anyone knows if Don boneless leg ham from the deli in Coles is gluten free?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

beebs Enthusiast

Not sure - but I do know that all primo products are 100% gluten free! I rang them and asked!

Twinklestars Contributor

Thanks :) Good to know about the Primo products! I'm doubtful about the Don ham at the moment. I had it for lunch, not even thinking whether ham was gluten free (you'd think it was okay!) and now my tummy is very bloated and painful and I feel a bit shaky. I've emailed the company and asked, so I'll post back here when I get a response!

desert rose Newbie

Yes, it is perfectly safe to eat the ham off the bone from Coles and Woolworths Service Delis.

Twinklestars Contributor

Thanks desert rose :) This wasn't Ham off the bone. It was boneless leg ham. Not sure if there's a difference? It wasn't shaved off the bone.

desert rose Newbie

Thanks desert rose :) This wasn't Ham off the bone. It was boneless leg ham. Not sure if there's a difference? It wasn't shaved off the bone.

Mmmmm tricky one Twinklestars. Im not sure if they are the same or not. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Twinklestars Contributor

It's a weird question to ask, isn't it? I'm hoping to get an email back from them tomorrow answering my question. Thanks so much for taking the time to try and answer for me though!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wombat Newbie

I have always kept away from all of the Don products. "Is Don Is Not Good"..

My preference is Hans (www.hans.com.au) as everythng from them is gluten-free.

Twinklestars Contributor

Cheers Wombat :) I think I'll avoid Don as well. Something didn't agree with me!

kareng Grand Master

Don't know about your particular brands but - if its being cut for you in a deli, are they cutting other things on the same cutter that have gluten. This is a problem I have with our store. We have Boars Head which is all gluten-free but they have a few other things they slice, too, that might not be gluten-free.

Twinklestars Contributor

I didn't even think about that, thanks kareng! Yes, they would be slicing it with meats that contain gluten. That teaches me, doesn't it! No more sliced deli meat for me! I'll buy it pre packaged instead.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Don't know about your particular brands but - if its being cut for you in a deli, are they cutting other things on the same cutter that have gluten. This is a problem I have with our store. We have Boars Head which is all gluten-free but they have a few other things they slice, too, that might not be gluten-free.

Funny you said this. I was at the store Thursday, and they carry a huge Boar's Head selection. I asked if they cut other meats that aren't gluten-free and she simply asked if I wanted the slicer cleaned. I said yes and all appears ok.

desert rose Newbie

Funny you said this. I was at the store Thursday, and they carry a huge Boar's Head selection. I asked if they cut other meats that aren't gluten-free and she simply asked if I wanted the slicer cleaned. I said yes and all appears ok.

Isnt it weird how the concept of cross contamination does not occur to stores and resturants?

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Isnt it weird how the concept of cross contamination does not occur to stores and resturants?

No kidding. Heard Subway is testing gluten-free menus. I don't see how they could do it unless it's prepacked. They dip their hands in every container while they handle bread. Cut, pack, hand in container. NO THANKS!!!!

anabananakins Explorer

If you're going for the packaged stuff, the KR Castlemaine stuff is gluten free too, and labeled (with the symbol of wheat with the arrow through it). I like it when they have the label on the front, because reading the ingredients lists on packaged meats always icks me out and I don't end up buying. I guess that's probably for the best...

Only problem (for me) with the KR Castlemaine is that they reduced the sodium content significantly and now I don't like the taste. Apparently, I'm more fond of the taste of salt than of actual ham :-)

anabananakins Explorer

No kidding. Heard Subway is testing gluten-free menus. I don't see how they could do it unless it's prepacked. They dip their hands in every container while they handle bread. Cut, pack, hand in container. NO THANKS!!!!

That's nuts. Subway is the last place I'd trust eating at. I mean, it's a food outlet dedicated to things on gigantic bread rolls!

Though that said, my whole life I've loathed the smell of their stores, that herby-baking bread smell ugh (and this was when I loved bread). Yet now that I can't eat it, I adore the smell of subway. Go figure.

Twinklestars Contributor

If you're going for the packaged stuff, the KR Castlemaine stuff is gluten free too, and labeled (with the symbol of wheat with the arrow through it). I like it when they have the label on the front, because reading the ingredients lists on packaged meats always icks me out and I don't end up buying. I guess that's probably for the best...

Only problem (for me) with the KR Castlemaine is that they reduced the sodium content significantly and now I don't like the taste. Apparently, I'm more fond of the taste of salt than of actual ham :-)

I bought some KR Castlemaine bacon today, and I was very excited to see the crossed out wheat symbol, lol!

I haven't heard back from Don yet (if I ever do), but I was definitely glutened from something to do with the ham, whether it was the ham itself or cross contamination. I am badly constipated tonight now.

Seriously, where else could I say that? I love that I can be honest here :)

cougie23 Explorer

I bought some KR Castlemaine bacon today, and I was very excited to see the crossed out wheat symbol, lol!

I haven't heard back from Don yet (if I ever do), but I was definitely glutened from something to do with the ham, whether it was the ham itself or cross contamination. I am badly constipated tonight now.

Seriously, where else could I say that? I love that I can be honest here :)

Sorry to hear that Twinkle...but yeah...I love this place...can you tell...LOL! :lol::lol::lol:

cougie23 Explorer

Thats what I was going to ask/thinking! sounds like serious cross contamination..gloves/knife/cutting board?! :unsure::blink:;)

cougie23 Explorer

Thats why when I hear about popular resteraunts with "GLUTEN FREE" menus I cringe and wonder....yeah...but what about all the "OTHER" stuff they cook I'm SURE The Cheesecake Factory doesn't have special pans /knives/cutting boards set aside for US ALONE...which is what it would take to be truly uncontaminated...then theres the FLOUR hanging in the air from cooking OTHER dishes!!! Its alot to ask..really!Now I could be WRONG...but I'm sure EVERY employee isn't trained to our needs..and I don't REALLY expect them to be...It would be NICE If it were mandotory that reseraunts taught gluten awareness to thier employeees...but thats kinda asking alot on our part .Especialy in todays society...there still just trying to get every one to wash there hands...EEEEEWWWWW!!!!

:blink::blink::blink::unsure::rolleyes::D

Twinklestars Contributor

Yep Cougie, I think the risk of CC at a restaurant is not one I'm willing to take.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Hi. would it be handy to have our own site/forum/thread so we could check it regularly and compare notes? Does anyone know of any Australian specific sites etc?????

"The Gluten Free Bar" has been my most recent godsend (first in 30+ years cereal/breakfast type thing I've ever been able to like and handle) foodforhealth.com.au

Di2011 Enthusiast

Is there no Australian website or web-community to replace this site?

Twinklestars Contributor

diandliam, I've never seen anything. I've found the forum very helpful and supportive though, and this section for people outside the US has a few Aussies in it :)

mushroom Proficient

Yes!! I had someone trying to peddle me some shaved ham, assuring me it was gluten free, and when I asked if she cleaned the slicer before "shaving" it she had this really puzzled expression for a minute and then the lighbulb turned on and she admitted "no". :lol:

Archived