33 replies to this topic

#16 anabananakins

anabananakins

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

No kidding. Heard Subway is testing gluten-free menus. I don't see how they could do it unless it's prepacked. They dip their hands in every container while they handle bread. Cut, pack, hand in container. NO THANKS!!!!

That's nuts. Subway is the last place I'd trust eating at. I mean, it's a food outlet dedicated to things on gigantic bread rolls!

Though that said, my whole life I've loathed the smell of their stores, that herby-baking bread smell ugh (and this was when I loved bread). Yet now that I can't eat it, I adore the smell of subway. Go figure.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

If you're going for the packaged stuff, the KR Castlemaine stuff is gluten free too, and labeled (with the symbol of wheat with the arrow through it). I like it when they have the label on the front, because reading the ingredients lists on packaged meats always icks me out and I don't end up buying. I guess that's probably for the best...

Only problem (for me) with the KR Castlemaine is that they reduced the sodium content significantly and now I don't like the taste. Apparently, I'm more fond of the taste of salt than of actual ham :-)

I bought some KR Castlemaine bacon today, and I was very excited to see the crossed out wheat symbol, lol!
I haven't heard back from Don yet (if I ever do), but I was definitely glutened from something to do with the ham, whether it was the ham itself or cross contamination. I am badly constipated tonight now.

Seriously, where else could I say that? I love that I can be honest here :)

#18 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

I bought some KR Castlemaine bacon today, and I was very excited to see the crossed out wheat symbol, lol!
I haven't heard back from Don yet (if I ever do), but I was definitely glutened from something to do with the ham, whether it was the ham itself or cross contamination. I am badly constipated tonight now.

Seriously, where else could I say that? I love that I can be honest here :)

Sorry to hear that Twinkle...but yeah...I love this place...can you tell...LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#19 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

Don't know about your particular brands but - if its being cut for you in a deli, are they cutting other things on the same cutter that have gluten. This is a problem I have with our store. We have Boars Head which is all gluten-free but they have a few other things they slice, too, that might not be gluten-free.

Thats what I was going to ask/thinking! sounds like serious cross contamination..gloves/knife/cutting board?! :unsure: :blink: ;)
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

#20 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Isnt it weird how the concept of cross contamination does not occur to stores and resturants?

Thats why when I hear about popular resteraunts with "GLUTEN FREE" menus I cringe and wonder....yeah...but what about all the "OTHER" stuff they cook I'm SURE The Cheesecake Factory doesn't have special pans /knives/cutting boards set aside for US ALONE...which is what it would take to be truly uncontaminated...then theres the FLOUR hanging in the air from cooking OTHER dishes!!! Its alot to ask..really!Now I could be WRONG...but I'm sure EVERY employee isn't trained to our needs..and I don't REALLY expect them to be...It would be NICE If it were mandotory that reseraunts taught gluten awareness to thier employeees...but thats kinda asking alot on our part .Especialy in todays society...there still just trying to get every one to wash there hands...EEEEEWWWWW!!!!
:blink: :blink: :blink: :unsure: :rolleyes: :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#21 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:02 AM

Yep Cougie, I think the risk of CC at a restaurant is not one I'm willing to take.

#22 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:27 AM

Hi. would it be handy to have our own site/forum/thread so we could check it regularly and compare notes? Does anyone know of any Australian specific sites etc?????

"The Gluten Free Bar" has been my most recent godsend (first in 30+ years cereal/breakfast type thing I've ever been able to like and handle) foodforhealth.com.au

#23 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:54 AM

Is there no Australian website or web-community to replace this site?

#24 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:01 PM

diandliam, I've never seen anything. I've found the forum very helpful and supportive though, and this section for people outside the US has a few Aussies in it :)

#25 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

Isnt it weird how the concept of cross contamination does not occur to stores and resturants?

Yes!! I had someone trying to peddle me some shaved ham, assuring me it was gluten free, and when I asked if she cleaned the slicer before "shaving" it she had this really puzzled expression for a minute and then the lighbulb turned on and she admitted "no". :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#26 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

:lol: mushroom!! That's how I may have ended up being glutened by the ham. It's really not something you think about when you don't have to. Many people are just so oblivious to what celiac is and that you can get sick from CC. I really think that all staff working in the hospitality industry where food is involved should undergo a course that explains allergies and intolerances. And there should be a manual that they can reference in the kitchen.

#27 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:49 AM

Yes!! I had someone trying to peddle me some shaved ham, assuring me it was gluten free, and when I asked if she cleaned the slicer before "shaving" it she had this really puzzled expression for a minute and then the lighbulb turned on and she admitted "no". :lol:

I have been working in a kitchen (yeah.. I know.. seems stupid but it is speeding up my alergy testing like nothing 'home' testing can) where we serve school camps coming to Canberra. Recently an 'elimination' diet child came for about 2 x 4 days of meals. I was amazed that the regular staff and the cook/chef thought some on a 'gluten free' diet could have the tinned spaghetti (on gluten free toast!). When I enquired I was told the mother said that the spaghetti was okay. The parent had reviewed the regular menu and so we feed this sick looking anemic child tinned spaghetti - very hard for me personally - and probably set the families 'elimination diet' back weeks.

#28 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

I have been working in a kitchen (yeah.. I know.. seems stupid but it is speeding up my alergy testing like nothing 'home' testing can) where we serve school camps coming to Canberra. Recently an 'elimination' diet child came for about 2 x 4 days of meals. I was amazed that the regular staff and the cook/chef thought some on a 'gluten free' diet could have the tinned spaghetti (on gluten free toast!). When I enquired I was told the mother said that the spaghetti was okay. The parent had reviewed the regular menu and so we feed this sick looking anemic child tinned spaghetti - very hard for me personally - and probably set the families 'elimination diet' back weeks.

Poor kid. We can choose our friends but we can't help it if we're born to dumb parents :unsure:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#29 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:42 PM

:lol: mushroom!! That's how I may have ended up being glutened by the ham. It's really not something you think about when you don't have to. Many people are just so oblivious to what celiac is and that you can get sick from CC. I really think that all staff working in the hospitality industry where food is involved should undergo a course that explains allergies and intolerances. And there should be a manual that they can reference in the kitchen.

Totaly...my little guy is alergic to shrimp and peanuts and seems to have outgrown a milk allergy.
A few years back,there was a Panda Express inside the grocery store we used to shop at,
Now and then we would buy a little Orange chicken to snack on while we shopped,,,It was his favorite! Well we noticed a few times he was having trouble swallowing and his lips were a little puffy...we were'nt sure why!
The confusing thing was this only happened once in a while, not every time...so we couldn't pin point the exact cause!
Then one day we had our little snack and his throat closed up on him ...he couldn't swallow and had the chicken stuck in his throat!! wouldn't come up,wouldn't go down! he could breath ok...but was very uncofortable..very mucusy,,,face spotty ,a little puffy!
It wasn't quite bad enough to go to the ER but we were ready if he got any worse.
We took him home and tried to get the chicken to go down by having him drink Pepsi ( its a great trick for this type of problem because the acid softens the outer part of the food and the carbonation loosens it as well!!!) finally the whole thing came flying out...litterly!!!
It wasn't till later we found out what really had happened....they were cooking the orange chicken in the same oil as the shrimp!!! we confrounted them on it and they said they didn't use the same oil but I've seen them use it all the time...they even use the same basket!!! talk about cross contamination!!! ;) :blink: :angry: :angry:
Now we buy our Orange chicken at trader joes (in bag)its the same recipe as Panda Express but I make it at HOME!!!
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#30 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:44 AM

Oh, your poor boy :( That must have been scary.

Well I got a response from Don ham today :rolleyes: They're actually Don KR Castlemaine (I didn't realise they're all the same company!).
They said they are unable to provide a list of gluten free products and I should consult the ingredients on the package :huh:
That does not help me when I specifically told them which product I was asking about and that it was sliced a a deli!

Think I'll just stick to the prepackaged stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: