33 replies to this topic

#31 beebs

beebs

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:36 PM

I have been working in a kitchen (yeah.. I know.. seems stupid but it is speeding up my alergy testing like nothing 'home' testing can) where we serve school camps coming to Canberra. Recently an 'elimination' diet child came for about 2 x 4 days of meals. I was amazed that the regular staff and the cook/chef thought some on a 'gluten free' diet could have the tinned spaghetti (on gluten free toast!). When I enquired I was told the mother said that the spaghetti was okay. The parent had reviewed the regular menu and so we feed this sick looking anemic child tinned spaghetti - very hard for me personally - and probably set the families 'elimination diet' back weeks.

Omigod - I used to work in a place like that in Canberra - the Carotel!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 desert rose

desert rose

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

No kidding. Heard Subway is testing gluten-free menus. I don't see how they could do it unless it's prepacked. They dip their hands in every container while they handle bread. Cut, pack, hand in container. NO THANKS!!!!

Subway is the one thing I really miss. But as you say the environment would have to be really controlled for me to trust them. Even then I couldnt take the risk.

#33 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:38 AM

Oh, your poor boy :( That must have been scary.

Well I got a response from Don ham today :rolleyes: They're actually Don KR Castlemaine (I didn't realise they're all the same company!).
They said they are unable to provide a list of gluten free products and I should consult the ingredients on the package :huh:
That does not help me when I specifically told them which product I was asking about and that it was sliced a a deli!

Think I'll just stick to the prepackaged stuff.

I had no idea they were the same company, Twinklestars. Weird - Don stuff doesn't make any gluten free claims but the KR Castlemaine stuff definately does. I wonder if they were two separate companies (with separate manufacturing plants) that ended up all owned by the same people.

#34 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:44 AM

I had no idea they were the same company, Twinklestars. Weird - Don stuff doesn't make any gluten free claims but the KR Castlemaine stuff definately does. I wonder if they were two separate companies (with separate manufacturing plants) that ended up all owned by the same people.

That's what I was thinking. I was surprised to see it in the email. The Don website doesn't mention KR Castlemaine (that I saw). The wording in the email was dodgy. I'm definitely avoiding Don.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: