This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Bread Mixes

zoogirl

zoogirl Rookie

Seems like every gluten-free bread, cake, cookie mix I find says it takes a heavy duty mixer to make. Are there any out there that don't? I wish I had the money to invest in one, but just don't right now. All I have is a hand mixer, but it's a good one.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

A hand mixer is fine. Mixing by hand probably not as good. gluten-free bread mixes are watery vs. firm so you font need a jet engine to mix it.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Agreed, not a good idea to mix by hand at all.

sa1937 Community Regular

For me a hand mixer is fine for quick breads, muffins, cake and cookies. But I honestly don't think I'd be able to make yeast breads without a stand mixer. I tried one loaf of sandwich bread with my hand mixer and it was a brick and the batter/dough climbed the beaters.

fantasticalice Explorer

I just ruined my wisk attachment on my Kitchen Aide with peanut butter, sugar and some King Arthur flour. This flour is thick, my most excellent hand mixer can't really handle it. I bought mine refurbished, $150, at Thanksgiving. It's a gem and I'm looking at a grain mill attachment so I can grind my own grain.

sa1937 Community Regular

I just ruined my wisk attachment on my Kitchen Aide with peanut butter, sugar and some King Arthur flour. This flour is thick, my most excellent hand mixer can't really handle it. I bought mine refurbished, $150, at Thanksgiving. It's a gem and I'm looking at a grain mill attachment so I can grind my own grain.

Oh, what a bummer!!! Maybe when you work with dough that heavy, you'll have to use the flat paddle attachment. I rarely use the whisk but then I don't bake that much except bread for which I always use the flat paddle.

So is your whisk totally ruined? I know replacement attachments are available.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Oh, what a bummer!!! Maybe when you work with dough that heavy, you'll have to use the flat paddle attachment. I rarely use the whisk but then I don't bake that much except bread for which I always use the flat paddle.

So is your whisk totally ruined? I know replacement attachments are available.

Ok, I've never tried a recipe with pb. That would do it.

I never use my whisk unless I'm whipping egg whites or it specifically says "whisk".

I always use the paddle thingy.

I use the dough hook for things like King Cake or the dough for ricotta pie - egg breads. Or any time a recipe says dough hook.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Funny, I mix just about everything by hand and it comes out fine. You just need to keep at it for a while and it takes a bit of work and elbow grease to mix stiffer doughs. About the only time I get out the electric mixer is for cake batter where you have to whip in a little air. (Whipped cream or egg whites too, of course.)

I just made a Glutino bread mix and realized I do a couple more things to make hand mixing work. Mix all liquid and dry ingredients well beforehand. If you're using yeast, proof it by adding it to the warm liquids. It should foam in a few minutes, which shows the yeast is dissolved and active. Grab a wooden spoon with a comfortable, round handle for stirring and get ready to do a bit of work. ;) Stir until everything is mixed really well and there are no lumps or pockets of flour. It works best to start in the center and gradually work towards the outside of the bowl, making sure all the flour gets moistened as you go. Mush clumps against the side of the bowl with your spoon if any form.

Remember that what you're trying to do with most gluten-free recipes is get a smooth batter with no clumps of flour and everything mixed well. There is no gluten to stir up and the gums pretty much absorb water on their own.

My grandma did just fine without a Kitchen-Aid and I'm just not inclined to buy yet another gadget.

love2travel Mentor

Whisk attachments are definitely not made for beating those ingredients and are best for beating egg whites or other very light things. :)

ETA Just realized that this has already been addressed above.

I make everything by scratch and, like Sylvia, find many things are easy to mix by hand or with a hand mixer but if you are serious about making breads and such stand mixers are so helpful. Plus you can get pasta maker and sausage maker attachments for the KA stand mixers that are brilliant to use.

Reba32 Rookie

I wish I could afford a stand mixer. I used to have one. My ex-husband somehow got custody after the divorce :P

I have arthritis in my hands, so mixing and kneading bread by hand is pretty much impossible, and why I haven't attempted it yet. I sometimes can't even manage to scramble my eggs in the morning!

love2travel Mentor

I wish I could afford a stand mixer. I used to have one. My ex-husband somehow got custody after the divorce :P

I have arthritis in my hands, so mixing and kneading bread by hand is pretty much impossible, and why I haven't attempted it yet. I sometimes can't even manage to scramble my eggs in the morning!

So sorry to hear about your mixer and arthritis. I got my KA stand mixer from eBay, saving about $200.

Pain is so difficult. I do not have RA but have a host of other things that are debilitating so I empathize with you. :(

Poppi Enthusiast

The whisk attachment on my Hamilton Beech heavy duty mixer snapped in a batch of gluten free cookie dough.

Reba32 Rookie

Was the stand mixer you bought used? I'd be afraid of contamination.

I wonder if my Mum's KA food processor could mix and knead bread? hmmm....

Archived