12 replies to this topic

#1 Staceyshoe

Staceyshoe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

My oldest ds just went gluten-free for 10 weeks and started back on gluten yesterday. He was fine yesterday, but having diarrhea today (about 24 hours after gluten exposure). Does this sound like a gluten reaction? I was expecting a quicker reaction if gluten was the problem, but I don't really know how quickly someone with celiac might react to gluten either.
Son (age 4)- severe IgE allergy to peanuts, tree nuts, dairy and mild soy allergy, neg for celiac gene
Son (age 7)- positive for celiac gene, history of digestive problems, IGA deficient, scope on 4/15/11 was negative, failed gluten challenge
My celiac panel was negative
Husband still needs to be tested

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

It's taken me as long as three days to have my anxiety reaction to gluten, and it usually takes at least six hours for my GI effects to appear. 24 hours is well within the realm of normal.

#3 JoshB

JoshB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

Used to take me about a day. Now it seems to be ~3 hours.

#4 Twinklestars

Twinklestars

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

A reaction to gluten depends on the individual. I notice a reaction as soon as a couple of minutes of being exposed but can still feel the effects of the glutening a couple of days later. I'm newly gluten free though, so I've got no idea if I'm continually glutening myself without realizing, I'm still learning about it all.
Your son's reaction seems fairly typical from what I've read. My doctors are still finding out whether I have an allergy to wheat as well as an intolerance, so my instant reaction could be more allergy related.

#5 Staceyshoe

Staceyshoe

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thank you for your responses. My biggest worry was not having a clear gluten-related reaction and still feeling like we don't know for sure. We have a pretty clear reaction. Ds has had diarrhea all afternoon, barely making it to the bathroom at times. He's never had anything remotely like this before, so I'm pretty sure it's the gluten.
Son (age 4)- severe IgE allergy to peanuts, tree nuts, dairy and mild soy allergy, neg for celiac gene
Son (age 7)- positive for celiac gene, history of digestive problems, IGA deficient, scope on 4/15/11 was negative, failed gluten challenge
My celiac panel was negative
Husband still needs to be tested

#6 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

One member lost her brother when he was 15 to celiacs...and a perant I beleive...people just don't realize!

Thank you for your responses. My biggest worry was not having a clear gluten-related reaction and still feeling like we don't know for sure. We have a pretty clear reaction. Ds has had diarrhea all afternoon, barely making it to the bathroom at times. He's never had anything remotely like this before, so I'm pretty sure it's the gluten.

Not to be harsh...but WHY would anyone with Celiacs PURPOSELY POISON THEMSELVES or why would you allow it!(if hes a minor...you weren't clear on that)
ITS POISON!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :angry: :huh:
Take it from me and all those of us who were unkowingly poisoned from an early age and now have Really BAD nerological side affects...we'd have given ANYTHING to have been diagnosed EARLY..BEFORE the LONG TERM DAMAGE THAT DOES"NT SHOW UP TILL YOUR OLDER...BELEIVE ME!!!!
WTF...YOUR HIS MOM!!! sorry to be harsh...but THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT....MAYBE EVEN LIFE CHANGING!!!
If Someone had even THOUGHT to test me for food alergies...let alone GLUTEN...MY life definatly would be different!!! It may olnly be diarrea now...but later if not checked...who knows..are you willing to take that chance...hes your BABY!!! :blink: :D
One of the members lost her brother at the age of 15 to celiacs...and a parent too I think...but you get my point! :huh:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#7 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

One member lost her brother when he was 15 to celiacs...and a perant I beleive...people just don't realize!
Not to be harsh...but WHY would anyone with Celiacs PURPOSELY POISON THEMSELVES or why would you allow it!(if hes a minor...you weren't clear on that)
ITS POISON!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :angry: :huh:
Take it from me and all those of us who were unkowingly poisoned from an early age and now have Really BAD nerological side affects...we'd have given ANYTHING to have been diagnosed EARLY..BEFORE the LONG TERM DAMAGE THAT DOES"NT SHOW UP TILL YOUR OLDER...BELEIVE ME!!!!
WTF...YOUR HIS MOM!!! sorry to be harsh...but THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT....MAYBE EVEN LIFE CHANGING!!!
If Someone had even THOUGHT to test me for food alergies...let alone GLUTEN...MY life definatly would be different!!! It may olnly be diarrea now...but later if not checked...who knows..are you willing to take that chance...hes your BABY!!! :blink: :D
One of the members lost her brother at the age of 15 to celiacs...and a parent too I think...but you get my point! :huh:

Calm down! Sounds like they didn't have the positve tests to prove he has celiac so they were testing it via dietary response. Lots of people here have to do that when they are trying to figure things out. I'm sure they plan to keep him gluten-free for good now that he has a clear reaction. No need to accuse people of poisioning their kids. ETA: This is the PRE-diagnosis forum. And based on her siggy her son is 5 with negative tests. Dietary response and positive genes is all some people have to get a diagnosis.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#8 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

Staceyshoe: It does sound like a very clear reaction. My reactions take anywhere from 24 to 48 hours to manifest themselves so his delayed reaction is normal as others said.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#9 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

Calm down! Sounds like they didn't have the positve tests to prove he has celiac so they were testing it via dietary response. Lots of people here have to do that when they are trying to figure things out. I'm sure they plan to keep him gluten-free for good now that he has a clear reaction. No need to accuse people of poisioning their kids. ETA: This is the PRE-diagnosis forum. And based on her siggy her son is 5 with negative tests. Dietary response and positive genes is all some people have to get a diagnosis.

SOOOOOORRRRRY......... :( :( :( !!!
Bad cougar!!!! :unsure:
Now I'm SAD!!!...I'm going to go pout now!!! :(
Find a good ROCK to crawl under!!! :(
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

#10 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

SOOOOOORRRRRY......... :( :( :( !!!
Bad cougar!!!! :unsure:
Now I'm SAD!!!...I'm going to go pout now!!! :(
Find a good ROCK to crawl under!!! :(

It's okay girl! I'm with you on gluten being poison, but sometimes you need to learn all the details before you pounce on someone. This a friendly board--we try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Some people do come here and admit they can't stop eating gluten (or can't stop their kids from sneakign it) even though it makes them sick. Those people need help. Scolding them isn't going to help them. Giving them the facts about what it's doing to them might help. Giving them ways to deal (like suggesting gluten-free alternatives) can help too.

#11 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

It's okay girl! I'm with you on gluten being poison, but sometimes you need to learn all the details before you pounce on someone. This a friendly board--we try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Some people do come here and admit they can't stop eating gluten (or can't stop their kids from sneakign it) even though it makes them sick. Those people need help. Scolding them isn't going to help them. Giving them the facts about what it's doing to them might help. Giving them ways to deal (like suggesting gluten-free alternatives) can help too.

Sniff...sniff....OK !! :(
After every thing I've read, Learned, been through and discovered latley.....It kinda FREAKED me out that after ALL the HORROR stories...someone would KNOWINGLY give a kid that they KNEW was celiac...gluten...especially after the poor kid just went 10 weeks without! I mean...REALLY! :blink:
I'm sorry I've only been on this site for 2 weeks or so.... and am still detoxing myself!!! Its making me a little HYPER..and overly sensitive...I'll have to watch that..I didn't realize what a spaz I've been lately..!!!
I was diagnosed 8/3/11 . :(
I'll be more careful...
I'm still sad and very depressed though!!! :( :( :(
I promise..No Pouncing... :unsure:
I'm still going to pout though! :( <_<
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#12 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'm sorry Staceyshoe...I was out of line! sorry to be so harsh! :blink: :( :(
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11

Favorite quotes-

#13 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:39 AM

I took mine to a bakery for a few minutes yesterday which was enough obviously to make her sick :(

We went in and I bought one of the loaves that they have out already in the bag then paid then left.

This afternoon my poor baby has been really sick :'( all because I told my mum I'd pick up bread for her on the way home!

But yeah it took about 20 hours before the complaint started but I know she'll be really vague for the next few days and irritable too.

No it wasn't on purpose! I won't have it in the house normally but it was for my mum who threw it at me after a 10 hour shift to pick it up on the way home otherwise we haven't been into a bakery all year.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: