This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Surgery Nightmare

watata

watata Apprentice

Well I am so glad I listened to all of you and brought my own food. I ended up being in the hospital 9 days for a simple laparascopic ovary removal. I ended up having an adrenal crisis and being placed in the PICU for a while. I was sent home friday with a pulse of 47 BPM and in a steroid induced diabetic state. The insurance company pushed me out. The hospitalist was out of ideas and sent me on my way with only enough medication to get me to see my endocrinologist back in my home town . IT was pathetic. And I was getting worse by the day only to find out they were giving me huge amounts of gluten in my meds that they decided to figure out on the 8th day and switch me to gluten free versions. POISON I tell you. I just don't get how they can do this. They sent me gluten free meanls but it was the same thing every day. Egg for breakfast , baked potato and chicken for lunch and dinner with fresh veggies and gluten free bread no one would want to touch. Nor eat when I was so nauseated I had to be on IV nausea meds and was still vomiting. So I lived off chex cereal when I could munch something, or some rice my mom would bring in. This is one of the largest medical centers in the region and you would be surprised at how many of the nurses didn't even know what celiac or gluten was. SAD! Apparently a lot of education is needed in the medical community. I am feeling better tummy wise now that I am home on my own gluten free meds and foods knowing that I am not being accidentally poisoned. I am still so weak an frail and have a long ways to go. Again thanks for all the support!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry that happened to you.

I hope your experience is a learning one for all of us. I know I'll take it to heart.

I hope you improve quickly.

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm so sorry you had such a difficult time and hope you feel better now that you are back home. My greatest fear is ending up in the hospital and getting sicker than I was when I went in. Thankfully I've avoided it so far.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I know somewhat how that feels. When i went in for my gallbladder removal (even though it was only a day thing), my nurse was the only one who knew what it actually was :< I had to indicate to the others otherwise. Once again this was the best hospital in my state. I don't expect them to know everything because they are the best.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I'm so sorry you had to go through such a rough time. The Dr. is the one who orders meds and it's absolutely rediculous for him to order you ones with gluten! :o

A surgery is hard enough to deal with. There's no excuse for putting you through being poisoned too.

Best wishes for a fast recovery.

Twinklestars Contributor

I'm so sorry you went through all that :( It's insane for the doctor to give you meds with gluten! I will definitely be remembering your experience should I need to go to hospital and will be spelling out the obvious to everyone. I'm so glad you're home and aren't being poisoned anymore xxx

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

That's rotten! I hope now that you are out of the hospital you can recover! (my grandmother always used to say that when she was in the hospital. Now I know all about what she meant!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

stewartfan14 Newbie

OMG! Sooo sorry you had to go through this on top of surgery! Being hospitalized with this disease is one of my biggests fears. I've had to visit loved ones too many times during this year and am shocked at the lack of education about celiac at hospitals.

Archived