This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Melatonin Rules For Sleep Issues

imracin68j

imracin68j Rookie

I was having a hard time sleeping. Probably anxiety and who knows what else. I looked online at this stuff your body makes called melatonin which is actually a hormone your body creates when it's pitch dark during your sleep. It actually turns on all the other hormones in your body that fight diseases and cancers. It works by turning on your biological sleep clock. Your body creates melatonin during REM sleep which happens under complete darkness sleeping which is why people who work nights are more prone to cancers, because their body doesn't create melatonin under lighted sleep to fight the cancers. This is true for people who stay up till 4-5 in the morning. After a month I was sold. It's not habit forming and has very few if any negative side effects. And its really cheap. You can get it at and drug store for under 10 bucks. Go look it up, it's amazing stuff. Reports show it actually stops, prevents tumor growth and even retracts some forms of cancer. I believe this stuff is one of the worlds hidden secrets on cancer prevention and treatment. Do your own investigation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

Yeah, I can take one and sleep without feeling groggy the next morning.

love2travel Mentor

Melatonin does absolutely nothing for my insomnia. I've taken the 3, 5 and 10 mg and nil. It is as though I have taken a placebo! But I have serious insomnia which is exacerbated by my severe pain making it very difficult to fall and stay asleep. Thank goodness I have a prescription that works well!

Glad it is working for you. Sleep is so incredibly important.

Does it actually make you feel groggy? I cannot imagine!

• 2 weeks later...
imracin68j Rookie

Melatonin does absolutely nothing for my insomnia. I've taken the 3, 5 and 10 mg and nil. It is as though I have taken a placebo! But I have serious insomnia which is exacerbated by my severe pain making it very difficult to fall and stay asleep. Thank goodness I have a prescription that works well!

Glad it is working for you. Sleep is so incredibly important.

Does it actually make you feel groggy? I cannot imagine!

It doesn't work instantly like other sleep aids. It works by taking it at the same time every night. People that don't sleep good need to take melatonin for the simple reason their body isn't creating it if they aren't sleeping. This leads to cancers and other serious diseases which are fought off with the hormones that melatonin kicks on. Even if it doesn't make them fall asleep it's vital to have this in your body.

love2travel Mentor

It doesn't work instantly like other sleep aids. It works by taking it at the same time every night. People that don't sleep good need to take melatonin for the simple reason their body isn't creating it if they aren't sleeping. This leads to cancers and other serious diseases which are fought off with the hormones that melatonin kicks on. Even if it doesn't make them fall asleep it's vital to have this in your body.

Yes, I do take it nightly at the same time and have done so for months. Have taken it before for ages - I just wish I would see some results in my sleep! It is so rare that I sleep well that it is a shock when it finally does happen. The pain just makes it impossible to sleep - my chronic pain management doctor and I are working on something to enable me to sleep to get me out of this awful cycle.

Austin Guy Contributor

I have found melatonin to cause a bad hangover. I started taking it 10 days ago and progressively felt more and more fatigued throughout the day. Getting up in the morning was difficult and I just couldn't get going. Started drinking lots more coffee and it just didn't do anything. I got to the point of feeling physically ill I was so tired.

I finally tied this to melatonin and stopped taking it. I woke the following morning with energy and just felt loads better. I realize that melatonin works wonders for some, but I will never take the stuff again.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I wouldn't be able to sleep without it! I take it about an hour before bedtime every night. I don't always sleep through the whole night, but before taking it I wasn't sleeping except for maybe an hour or two every couple of days. Huge improvement! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

I wouldn't be able to sleep without it, either!

I started taking it in April, and it has been a godsend!

I usually only need to take 1/4 or 1/2 of a 1 mg pill each night. My cue that I'm taking too little is waking up during the night... the next night i will up my dose. My cue that I'm taking too much is, like others described, feeling extremely groggy or 'hung' over the next day... so, of course, the next night I just reduce the dose. That is what works for me!

love2travel Mentor

Glad it works for some! No matter the dose (up to 10 mg) I get no help from it whatsoever. Sigh...

• 2 weeks later...
Gfresh404 Enthusiast

I've actually been thinking about taking it since my sleep problems still exist and have only gotten worse this semester since I have an 8 am class.

The only thing that scares me about taking it is the fact that it's a hormone. And there have also been no long term studies determining its safety. At least when I am taking Glutamine I know that it's just an amino acid - but there's no guarantee about that either.

Has anyone tried Valerian Root? That actually helped me quite a bit for a while.

adab8ca Enthusiast

I've actually been thinking about taking it since my sleep problems still exist and have only gotten worse this semester since I have an 8 am class.

The only thing that scares me about taking it is the fact that it's a hormone. And there have also been no long term studies determining its safety. At least when I am taking Glutamine I know that it's just an amino acid - but there's no guarantee about that either.

Has anyone tried Valerian Root? That actually helped me quite a bit for a while.

OOOOOOOOOOOOH valerian gave me AWFUL AWFUL dreams...

rpete136 Newbie

By the time I caught my gluten problems I already had damage. The villi that are damaged produce lactase and sucralase to break down milk and sugar. I figured out a long time ago that I can't have gluten or milk, but only realized recently how difficult sugar can be. When I remove sugar, and even reduce the amount of natural sugar I get (fruit, carrots etc.), I sleep way better, and a feel rested in the morning. Otherwise I always feel like I haven't slept in a week when I wake up.

Skylark Collaborator

I tried it and woke up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 4am unable to go back to sleep. Yuck!

love2travel Mentor

Valerian root did nothing for me but my insomnia is so incredibly severe. Definitely not resolving yet after being gluten-free for seven months.

BabsV Enthusiast

I tried Melatonin again this week...had tried it in the past with little success but my sleep has been so fractured the doctor wanted to put me on Ambien! Surprisingly, half of a 3mg tablet of Melatonin has done wonders for me at this time. Go figure. I'll stick with it for a bit since I really do need to try to catch up on sleep. I'm still amazed however because when I took Melatonin in the past it did absolutely nothing for me.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

You may be absorbing it better now? A good sign you're healing!

Isn't sleep wonderful? :D

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Here's an article on Melatonin.

If you scroll down you can read all of the things it can treat. Even restless leg syndrome.

Open Original Shared Link

Jsmacks13 Newbie

I take Mid-Nite which is a melatonin med that's gluten-free. I love it because it will put me to sleep, but I hate that I never actually stay asleep for more than two hours at a time. I am the worst sleeper! Always have been and I just want to be one of those people who can sleep the day away. lol

• 5 weeks later...
RogerHoff Newbie

I found a product that has melatonin in it and it is GLUTEN FREE! It is made by a company called Liquid Health. It is called Open Original Shared Link. And it works as it says. It helped me to sleep well.

I've also tried a couple of other products that have Valerian root and 5HTP in it. These products are great for helping me not be so restless.

love2travel Mentor

Am trying the Melatonin 10 mg and nothing. Nil. Zip. Zilch. However, my insomnia is the worst all my doctors have ever seen. I can go several days without even falling asleep, sadly... :(

jerseyangel Proficient

Am trying the Melatonin 10 mg and nothing. Nil. Zip. Zilch. However, my insomnia is the worst all my doctors have ever seen. I can go several days without even falling asleep, sadly... :(

l2t, Have you ever tried old-school antihistamines like Rx Vistaril?

love2travel Mentor

l2t, Have you ever tried old-school antihistamines like Rx Vistaril?

I have tried some antihistamines but not Vistaril specifically. Get this - I slept wonderfully well most nights in Istria. True, people tend to sleep better on vacation, but there is something about the sea air and humidity. Well, I'm guessing all that walking helped, too. My skin felt so much better there as well.

I do have a prescription for insomnia that I take once a week for a guaranteed rest. Am still hoping that the longer I am gluten free this will improve. I have been strictly gluten-free now for eight months.

jerseyangel Proficient

Get this - I slept wonderfully well most nights in Istria.

Amazing! Do you plan to move there permanently at some point, or is that not feasible?

love2travel Mentor

Amazing! Do you plan to move there permanently at some point, or is that not feasible?

Yes, we do; at least live there about nine months of the year and three here as we have family here. In the meantime I am trying to learn the VERY difficult language - it will take many years and I know I will never speak it - there are too many difficult letters to pronounce. But I would love to be able to understand and read it.

My energy level (even when in pain) is far higher there, too. And our vacations are not regular vacations - we "live" there (well, and we travel around) so deal with accountants, lawyers, etc. (the regular daily stuff we deal with here as well but without the language differences!). Here my pain increases like crazy about 1 or 2 PM and I often must lie down; there I often go hard until about 5 PM (sometimes without lying down even once during the day). It is remarkable.

Linus Newbie

Meletonin is not so great during the winter. The short days are enough to tell your brain that it is time to sleep. Meletonin works on the same areas in the brain. Personally I have found that winter use resulted in aa zombie like feeling during the mornings if you get up when it is dark in the morning. It works fine for me in the summer. I stopped using it after starting a daily work out regimine.

Archived