This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Confused About Sc Diet

Apache

Apache Apprentice

I haven't been on here in a long time, but I've decided to try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet again. I didn't really do it right the first time as I was only eating meat and the allowable beans, but this time I want to do it the right way and hopefully actually get somewhere this time. What I'm unclear about, however, is the use of dairy and eggs. I did a finger prick blood test for food sensitivities about three years ago and it showed that I am intolerant to eggs, casein and whey from dairy, and wheat gluten. I began avoiding gluten about three weeks ago and it has become clear that I need to do more to heal my intestines. This is where the SCD comes in.

Nearly every recipe in the SCD contains either dairy, eggs, or both. Infact the homemade yogurt is basically the staple of this diet. Since the food sensitivity test three years ago I have only eaten eggs and dairy as ingredients in other things, never as a stand alone meal or addition to a meal, although I have had cheese on several occasions. I can't notice a problem from eating eggs or dairy in this manner.

Does anybody think it would be illadvised to consume these two things in adherence to the diet? I can't handle fruit and vegetables right now, so there really isn't much I can eat. I don't do well with nuts or most oils, either. If I can use eggs and the allowable dairy items it would give me a lot more choices. I can't do the meat and beans thing again. I felt ten times worse only eating those things.

I should also add that I think my gastrologist made me much worse when he prescribed a digestive enzyme called Creon. I took one dose of it and things haven't been even close to right since then. I was able to eat vegetables, fruit, nuts, oils, and even drink caffeine before then. Since then I haven't been able to tolerate any of those. I'm guessing the Creon was like throwing a match in a can of gasoline.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I haven't been on here in a long time, but I've decided to try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet again. I didn't really do it right the first time as I was only eating meat and the allowable beans, but this time I want to do it the right way and hopefully actually get somewhere this time. What I'm unclear about, however, is the use of dairy and eggs. I did a finger prick blood test for food sensitivities about three years ago and it showed that I am intolerant to eggs, casein and whey from dairy, and wheat gluten. I began avoiding gluten about three weeks ago and it has become clear that I need to do more to heal my intestines. This is where the SCD comes in.

Nearly every recipe in the SCD contains either dairy, eggs, or both. Infact the homemade yogurt is basically the staple of this diet. Since the food sensitivity test three years ago I have only eaten eggs and dairy as ingredients in other things, never as a stand alone meal or addition to a meal, although I have had cheese on several occasions. I can't notice a problem from eating eggs or dairy in this manner.

Does anybody think it would be illadvised to consume these two things in adherence to the diet? I can't handle fruit and vegetables right now, so there really isn't much I can eat. I don't do well with nuts or most oils, either. If I can use eggs and the allowable dairy items it would give me a lot more choices. I can't do the meat and beans thing again. I felt ten times worse only eating those things.

I should also add that I think my gastrologist made me much worse when he prescribed a digestive enzyme called Creon. I took one dose of it and things haven't been even close to right since then. I was able to eat vegetables, fruit, nuts, oils, and even drink caffeine before then. Since then I haven't been able to tolerate any of those. I'm guessing the Creon was like throwing a match in a can of gasoline.

Thanks.

Here is a previous thread:

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Is there some reason why you want to do that diet in particular? Are you sure that ALL fruits and veggies bother you? Often we can tolerate cooked veggies better than raw. Or you may only have trouble with nightshades. And if you think the trouble with fruit is fructous you may be able to get away with sticking to lower fructose fruits such as berries.

Also, just so you know, food intolerance testing is not very accurate. If you eat eggs and dairy and have no symptoms then no need to cut them out, just monitor how much you eat and cut out again if you think they are giving you trouble (you prob already know that but just making sure...)

Apache Apprentice

Is there some reason why you want to do that diet in particular? Are you sure that ALL fruits and veggies bother you? Often we can tolerate cooked veggies better than raw. Or you may only have trouble with nightshades. And if you think the trouble with fruit is fructous you may be able to get away with sticking to lower fructose fruits such as berries.

Also, just so you know, food intolerance testing is not very accurate. If you eat eggs and dairy and have no symptoms then no need to cut them out, just monitor how much you eat and cut out again if you think they are giving you trouble (you prob already know that but just making sure...)

Actually, the reaction I get to fruit and vegetables is dizziness, confusion, and disorientation. All fruit and vegetables do it. The worst are broccoli, carrots, bananas, and brussel sprouts. I actually do better with canned vegetables than cooked frozen or fresh ones. I have the same reaction to oils, nuts(excluding processed peanut butter), nut milk, and supplements.

Eggs never gave me stomach problems. They just seemed to make me feel saced out and extremely hungry minutes after eating them. Does this mean they are doing damage to my intestines?

I am following this diet in order to heal my intstines. I went for years with undiagnosed gluten sensitivity, and after simply going gluten free it became apparent that my intestines are in very bad shape.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Could you be sensitive to Salicylates?

They are in most fruits and vegetables.

The one that confuses me is Brussels Sprouts as they are supposed to be very low in Salicylates. Just wanted to mention that in case.

domesticactivist Collaborator

We do GAPS which is very similar to (based on) SCD. It starts out much simpler to allow for maximum healing and then builds from there.

At first all you eat are bone broths with the meat from the bone and certain vegetables cooked thoroughly in the broth. If you do not have IgE reactions to these foods, you will probably find you can tolerate them if added one at a time and slowly. Then foods are slowly added one by one, fresh veggie juice is added, then homemade probiotic foods one by one....

We've been doing this diet since early February and I have found that while the rest of the family was able to introduce cheese I wasn't. However, I have been fine with our (organic, whole raw milk, homemade) yogurt!!! I also was ok with eggs at first, but have discovered that I'm currently intolerant to them. I have no problem following the diet even with these restrictions.

We do notice that adding each new probiotic food has resulted in a flare of candida die-off. It's hard at first, but we did start to be able to realize the difference between a reaction that we'll get through and a reaction that is due to an intolerance.

Everyone is different, some need to take it slower than others, some can't introduce the same foods as other. The SCD and GAPS are both doable without eggs or yogurt, imo.

Apache Apprentice

We do GAPS which is very similar to (based on) SCD. It starts out much simpler to allow for maximum healing and then builds from there.

At first all you eat are bone broths with the meat from the bone and certain vegetables cooked thoroughly in the broth. If you do not have IgE reactions to these foods, you will probably find you can tolerate them if added one at a time and slowly. Then foods are slowly added one by one, fresh veggie juice is added, then homemade probiotic foods one by one....

We've been doing this diet since early February and I have found that while the rest of the family was able to introduce cheese I wasn't. However, I have been fine with our (organic, whole raw milk, homemade) yogurt!!! I also was ok with eggs at first, but have discovered that I'm currently intolerant to them. I have no problem following the diet even with these restrictions.

We do notice that adding each new probiotic food has resulted in a flare of candida die-off. It's hard at first, but we did start to be able to realize the difference between a reaction that we'll get through and a reaction that is due to an intolerance.

Everyone is different, some need to take it slower than others, some can't introduce the same foods as other. The SCD and GAPS are both doable without eggs or yogurt, imo.

I attempted the GAPS diet, but I get the same weird reaction to the bone broth. It's like anything will a high level of nutrients sends my brain into a tailspin.

It's true that you can do these diets without eggs or dairy, but that leaves you with very few recipes.

I should also mention that I've been dealing with protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. I was prescribed a medication called clonazopam several years ago and developed a tolerance to it. This sent me into withdrawal and I have been dealing with it for almost three years.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Actually, the reaction I get to fruit and vegetables is dizziness, confusion, and disorientation. All fruit and vegetables do it. The worst are broccoli, carrots, bananas, and brussel sprouts. I actually do better with canned vegetables than cooked frozen or fresh ones. I have the same reaction to oils, nuts(excluding processed peanut butter), nut milk, and supplements.

That reaction sounds a lot like a blood sugar issue such as hypoglycemia. How often are you eating and are you eating protein (meat or beans) along with the fruit or veggies? Are you keeping track of your daily calorie intake and making sure you get enough healhty fats?

Eggs never gave me stomach problems. They just seemed to make me feel saced out and extremely hungry minutes after eating them. Does this mean they are doing damage to my intestines?

I can't imagine how that they could be damaging your intestines based on those reactions...I may be wrong of course since we know very little for sure about food intolerances. Do you have this reaction if the eggs are cooked in something (like a baked good) or only when eating them on their own?

I am following this diet in order to heal my intstines. I went for years with undiagnosed gluten sensitivity, and after simply going gluten free it became apparent that my intestines are in very bad shape.

Have you had an endoscopy/biopsies to see how damaged your intestines are?

Have you been tested for vitamin deficiencies?

Do you take probiotics?

Do you take any vitamins or medications that may be interacting with each other or with certain foods you eat? I know that some medications can interact with food and make you feel dizzy when you eat.

Have you seen a dr about all this dizziness, loss of orientation, etc? There are other things besides food intolerances that may cause these symptoms. Best to rule out anything serious.

You don't have to answer these questiosn here just think about them for yourself. I know these are not things you asked about but IMO it would be better to start with what you know you can eat and slowly add to that. If there is no consistent time when you feel "normal" eating only your "safe" foods then you should seriously consider whether this is something that is not directly related to a food intolerance.

I attempted the GAPS diet, but I get the same weird reaction to the bone broth. It's like anything will a high level of nutrients sends my brain into a tailspin.

It's true that you can do these diets without eggs or dairy, but that leaves you with very few recipes.

I should also mention that I've been dealing with protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. I was prescribed a medication called clonazopam several years ago and developed a tolerance to it. This sent me into withdrawal and I have been dealing with it for almost three years.

Okay I just looked up protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. All of the symptoms you mention are associated with it. I think you need to go back to your dr and tell them you are still experiencing these withdrawal symptoms and it is messing with your ability to eat. I'm not a big advocate of goign on drugs but you may need soemthign to counteract the withdrawal effects (if you are not already taking something). If you are already on something then you need to look up the side effects and talk to your dr about changing medications. You can look up drug interactions and side effects on drugs.com Some drugs do interact with foods so you may find your answer there if you are taking anything.

Apache Apprentice

Okay I just looked up protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. All of the symptoms you mention are associated with it. I think you need to go back to your dr and tell them you are still experiencing these withdrawal symptoms and it is messing with your ability to eat. I'm not a big advocate of goign on drugs but you may need soemthign to counteract the withdrawal effects (if you are not already taking something). If you are already on something then you need to look up the side effects and talk to your dr about changing medications. You can look up drug interactions and side effects on drugs.com Some drugs do interact with foods so you may find your answer there if you are taking anything.

There isn't really anything the doctor can do about it. I just have to ride it out. The withdrawal has made already existing digestive problems worse, and I would like to clear them up. My digestive problems are really effecting me mentally and physically.

Archived