38 replies to this topic

#16 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Yes, please let us know if you try it! I have seen garfava but have not tried it.

My husband and I are booked to go to Croatia and Italy in 12 days so I may not try it until we get back. But we may not be able to go now because I have just hurt my pelvis and hips and literally cannot sit more than 5 minutes (am lying down typing). :( If I cannot sit more than a few minutes how on earth can I sit 25 HOURS? (I am including airports and such.)

Regardless, I will do the Big Pizza Experiment and report back. :)

Garfava is really worth buying in my opinion. I use it quite regularly.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

My husband and I are booked to go to Croatia and Italy in 12 days so I may not try it until we get back. But we may not be able to go now because I have just hurt my pelvis and hips and literally cannot sit more than 5 minutes (am lying down typing). :( If I cannot sit more than a few minutes how on earth can I sit 25 HOURS? (I am including airports and such.)

Regardless, I will do the Big Pizza Experiment and report back. :)

Garfava is really worth buying in my opinion. I use it quite regularly.

Oh I hope you feel better soon! Whenever you get around to making it is fine!
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#18 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

Ahhhhhh, in search of the perfect pizza crust. I've done so much research on this. I haven't tried Elana's yet, but I read that coconut flour makes better thin crust pie than Elana's. But you can't use Bob's Red Mill. I posted on the "What's for Dinner" thread that the bisquick pizza recipe is pretty abysmal, but made the house smell good. We both actually liked the warmed up version ok.

I'm still going to pursue pizza crusts, but DP mentioned he liked the "crustless" pizza we had last night (stuffed peppers).
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#19 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

lovs2travel, have you tried sleeping in alternative positions other than lying down? When I need to be able to move readily the next day without a 4 hour warmup, I will sleep sitting propped up with my head blocked carefully by pillows so my neck doesn't get torqued if it tilts off to one side. I will have another pillow under my knees so the net effect is like being in a recliner that fits. Huge difference in what my hip joints do when I wake up. This is why some cultures sleep in hammocks....

______

Pizza crust - meh. Just end up putting it on a crisped tortilla for thin crust. I do have a pie crust recipe that was a disaster, (chewy) that I should retry as a pizza crust sometime if I can remember what I did with it.... wrote it down somewhere....

#20 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

lovs2travel, have you tried sleeping in alternative positions other than lying down? When I need to be able to move readily the next day without a 4 hour warmup, I will sleep sitting propped up with my head blocked carefully by pillows so my neck doesn't get torqued if it tilts off to one side. I will have another pillow under my knees so the net effect is like being in a recliner that fits. Huge difference in what my hip joints do when I wake up. This is why some cultures sleep in hammocks....

______

Pizza crust - meh. Just end up putting it on a crisped tortilla for thin crust. I do have a pie crust recipe that was a disaster, (chewy) that I should retry as a pizza crust sometime if I can remember what I did with it.... wrote it down somewhere....

I can never sit more than a few minutes - have not been able to for nearly four years. When I need to go somewhere further than half an hour away my husband must drive as I need to lie down. In restaurants I must go to the bathroom to stretch every 15 minutes. I cannot sit to watch TV but lie down. When I weed my flowerbeds I spread out blankets on the grass and lie on my stomach. One of my biggest issues is muscle weakness - my back literally cannot support my body. It is incredibly painful to sit in any position, even with pillows and lumbar support and gel cushion. Of course after lying down so much for so long everything else tries to compensate. It is an utter mess. (I have herniated discs and such that cause extreme pain.)

Thanks for mentioning it, though...

Now, back to pizza. Have you ever liked pizza? It is something I used to like but could almost take it or leave it except authentic Italian pizza. Now that I must be gluten free I am on a mission to make fabulous crust! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#21 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

I tried Elana Amsterdam's almond flour crust today. It was ok, far better than Bisquick crust.

Pros: few ingredients, quick to prepare. Healthier than other flours (low glycemic, high protein).

Cons: mealy/sandy texture. (I drizzled EVO over before baking, even the the recipe didn't call for it, but that didn't help.)

My DP said it was like having a pizza cookie. Loved the toppings (precooked applewood smoked bacon, sliced portabella mushrooms, slivered shallots, sliced olives, red pepper, feta cheese, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and fresh parmesan. I'm thinking it may be better to dedicate good ingredients like this to other recipes. (They'd be the bomb in a twice baked potato or stuffed pepper or zucchini.) I think I'm done with gluten-free pizza...for awhile.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#22 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

Thus far my go-to crust is Jules Shepard's http://blog.julesglu.../2011/02/pizza/ I've made it so many times and it's the one I keep coming back to. It's quick and easy and only needs a 10-min. rise before prebaking. I have pizza crisper pans with holes in them and use aluminum foil for prebaking and then bake it right on the pan after topping. I do have her flour, which makes it even easier. I like a thinner crust and use a 14" pizza pan. If anyone wants to try it, here's the recipe for her Nearly Normal Flour.

Other than that I've tried:

Bob's Red Mill pizza crust mix: blech

Glutino frozen pizza crusts: edible but I haven't bought them since very early after my diagnosis. I can do better.

King Arthur: I made it once and can't remember much about it except it took a long time with the double rise.

That's it...haven't tried any other recipes after I made Jules' even though I've printed out several of them.

ETA: I did buy one Amy's cheese pizza...yuck! Over-priced and not good. I don't buy any Amy's now. Too much CC. That was my first experience with gluten-free pizza.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#23 msFrancie

msFrancie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:42 AM

During Passover, I get gluten free oat matzos. I brush on some garlic and rosemary-infused olive oil, a little pizza sauce, and shredded mozzarella, then heat in toaster oven. Yummy!
"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants."
- A. Whitney Brown

#24 zus888

zus888

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

This is my Go-To pizza crust. We have it about once a week and the whole family likes it. I'd say it's as good as an average frozen pizza (not the self-rising kind they have now) from the freezer section. Very similar to Patty's posted recipe on the first page.

http://www.food.com/...zza-crust-44487

I double the recipe and add parmesan cheese to the dough. After baking, I'll transfer it to a pizza pan with holes to crisp up the bottom of the crust a bit. Then it's not so floppy. I basically spread it out on a large cookie sheet.

It may not be the best crust out there, but it is GOOD! Plus, I have 3 small kids, so I really need something that's quick and easy and this doesn't require rising. Trust me, I've tried. It doesn't make a bit of difference! Oh, the other thing I do is proof the yeast. It's just something I'm programmed to do.
Suzanna

#25 AMom2010

AMom2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

I just had to weigh-in, tonight I tried making a pizza crust for the first time since going gluten free in July. I used the bisquick recipe and it was inedible it was SO disgusting! This was my first attempt to try to replace a gluten item, and I am discouraged :( I would honestly rather do without (truth be told I don't even miss those foods)!!

#26 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:28 AM

I just had to weigh-in, tonight I tried making a pizza crust for the first time since going gluten free in July. I used the bisquick recipe and it was inedible it was SO disgusting! This was my first attempt to try to replace a gluten item, and I am discouraged :( I would honestly rather do without (truth be told I don't even miss those foods)!!

I tried that gluten-free Bisquick crust, too...one time only. And I agree, it was disgusting but since I really missed pizza, I was determined that I would find a crust I was happy with. And I did. For me it's the one from Jules Shepard's blog. It took a few tries to be really pleased with it.

In fact my son-in-law now makes it for my daughter as he had tried a different one (a mix, I think) and found it inedible. So don't give up! There are a number of recipes posted on this thread so keep experimenting until you find one that's your "go-to" recipe. It may never be quite the same as your previous favorite gluteny crust, but you can come pretty darn close!
Sylvia

#27 AMom2010

AMom2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:34 AM

I tried that gluten-free Bisquick crust, too...one time only. And I agree, it was disgusting but since I really missed pizza, I was determined that I would find a crust I was happy with. And I did. For me it's the one from Jules Shepard's blog. It took a few tries to be really pleased with it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll have to try the one you recommend another time :)

In fact my son-in-law now makes it for my daughter as he had tried a different one (a mix, I think) and found it inedible. So don't give up! There are a number of recipes posted on this thread so keep experimenting until you find one that's your "go-to" recipe. It may never be quite the same as your previous favorite gluteny crust, but you can come pretty darn close!

#28 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

Since you are "A Mom", no doubt your kids will want pizza. I think there are probably a number of good recipes out there, different flour mixes, etc...some you may like; others you won't. Baking gluten-free is one big experimentation but I have no doubt you'll come up with something your family will like.

If I could only say the same for gluten-free bread...I am still searching for that *perfect* recipe.
Sylvia

#29 AMom2010

AMom2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

Interestingly, my 18 month old gobbled it up :). She doesn't really know what it supposed to taste like anyway, lol! Hubby and I threw the rest away after a bite or two... Will keep trying.

#30 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

Interestingly, my 18 month old gobbled it up :). She doesn't really know what it supposed to taste like anyway, lol! Hubby and I threw the rest away after a bite or two... Will keep trying.

Heck, I'd have frozen it and given it to her for an "emergency" lunch! :D
Sylvia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: