This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Pizza Crust Thread

GlutenFreeManna

sa1937 Community Regular

I just had to weigh-in, tonight I tried making a pizza crust for the first time since going gluten free in July. I used the bisquick recipe and it was inedible it was SO disgusting! This was my first attempt to try to replace a gluten item, and I am discouraged :( I would honestly rather do without (truth be told I don't even miss those foods)!!

I tried that gluten-free Bisquick crust, too...one time only. And I agree, it was disgusting but since I really missed pizza, I was determined that I would find a crust I was happy with. And I did. For me it's the one from Jules Shepard's blog. It took a few tries to be really pleased with it.

In fact my son-in-law now makes it for my daughter as he had tried a different one (a mix, I think) and found it inedible. So don't give up! There are a number of recipes posted on this thread so keep experimenting until you find one that's your "go-to" recipe. It may never be quite the same as your previous favorite gluteny crust, but you can come pretty darn close!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AMom2010 Explorer

I tried that gluten-free Bisquick crust, too...one time only. And I agree, it was disgusting but since I really missed pizza, I was determined that I would find a crust I was happy with. And I did. For me it's the one from Jules Shepard's blog. It took a few tries to be really pleased with it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll have to try the one you recommend another time :)

In fact my son-in-law now makes it for my daughter as he had tried a different one (a mix, I think) and found it inedible. So don't give up! There are a number of recipes posted on this thread so keep experimenting until you find one that's your "go-to" recipe. It may never be quite the same as your previous favorite gluteny crust, but you can come pretty darn close!

sa1937 Community Regular

Since you are "A Mom", no doubt your kids will want pizza. I think there are probably a number of good recipes out there, different flour mixes, etc...some you may like; others you won't. Baking gluten-free is one big experimentation but I have no doubt you'll come up with something your family will like.

If I could only say the same for gluten-free bread...I am still searching for that *perfect* recipe.

AMom2010 Explorer

Interestingly, my 18 month old gobbled it up :). She doesn't really know what it supposed to taste like anyway, lol! Hubby and I threw the rest away after a bite or two... Will keep trying.

sa1937 Community Regular

Interestingly, my 18 month old gobbled it up :). She doesn't really know what it supposed to taste like anyway, lol! Hubby and I threw the rest away after a bite or two... Will keep trying.

Heck, I'd have frozen it and given it to her for an "emergency" lunch! :D

Marilyn R Community Regular

Try Chebe. I started a separate thread about kitchen gadgets about the holy pizza pan and Chebe. Cost per package is less than $3.00 and my non gluten-free DP loves it. It is really good, and pretty easy to whip out. Chebe gets an "A" in my book. It's thin, has some flex. I don't know why that flex is important, but it is.

Sharon Newbie

We have tried a couple different mixes and have settled on Namaste mix. It is easy to mix and my husband says it's has good as any crust we had before going G.F. 10 years ago. I'm the one with celiac but my husband eats what I do except for his bread!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Oscar Apprentice

I have learned in my time reading here, that there are wide variances in what people like when it comes to gluten-free baked products.

Boston Pizza uses Kinnikinnick crusts, and I have also tried them at home. They are not the thin, crisp pizzas I once enjoyed (while not knowing they were slowly killing me), but they are pretty good in my opinion. Baking my own from the Gluten Free Pantry French Bread mix is better, but is a lot more work.

pain*in*my*gut Apprentice

I have found that for crispy pizzas, Glutino crusts are edible. But I think I hit the jackpot when my local Dominicks grocery store had all of their French Meadow gluten-free frozen items for 1/2 price last week and I stocked up. The pizza crusts were SO GOOD! I had to double check because I thought maybe they had mixed up and put gluten pizza crusts in the gluten-free freezer! Not too crispy, good texture, and tastes like pizza crust (not cardboard)! Here is their website:

www.frenchmeadow.com/products/gluten-free/gluten-free-pizza-crust-2-pack

• 3 weeks later...
peeptoad Apprentice

I was just thinking of starting a thread like this... lucky for me someone already did it. :)

I'm looking for good frozen crusts mainly because I don't have much time to cook, and have a terrible kitchen for baking. The only one I've tried so far is Udi's and it wasn't bad. I'd rate about a 7/10. Passable/halfway decent with all the other toppings on it.

I've tried a couple of frozen "complete pizzas" and thought they were just terrible (Glutino was one and it tasted, literally, like nothing), so I'm looking for more crust ideas so I can make my own.

MrsVJW Newbie

I'm a huge fan of Agaist the Grain products, and their frozen pizza crust is my favorite crust. I think it is well worth the price tag - it's a bit bigger than an Udi's crust and doesn't have that "why does it still feel a bit uncooked in the middle?" feeling.

I like a thin, crispy crust on my pizza, and Against the Grain gives that. I think their products all all based off a Pate a Choux dough (think cheese puffs and eclairs).

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Try Chebe. I started a separate thread about kitchen gadgets about the holy pizza pan and Chebe. Cost per package is less than $3.00 and my non gluten-free DP loves it. It is really good, and pretty easy to whip out. Chebe gets an "A" in my book. It's thin, has some flex. I don't know why that flex is important, but it is.

I tried it the other night... Used half thecrecipe in a 9 inch cast iron skillet. I think I could have cooked it a bit more...but it was decent. I used olive oil instead of red sauce (topped with basil, mozerella, fresh tomato, garlic). Needed salt :).

It was very fast and easy.

• 1 month later...
Roda Rising Star

Thus far my go-to crust is Jules Shepard's Open Original Shared Link I've made it so many times and it's the one I keep coming back to. It's quick and easy and only needs a 10-min. rise before prebaking. I have pizza crisper pans with holes in them and use aluminum foil for prebaking and then bake it right on the pan after topping. I do have her flour, which makes it even easier. I like a thinner crust and use a 14" pizza pan. If anyone wants to try it, here's the recipe for her Open Original Shared Link.

I've tried this recipe several times now. First two times were alright at best. I made it again today and it was great. Here is what I think I did wrong the first two times: tried using regular yeast 1st time, used yeast specially formulated for pizza the second time and spread out the crust to thin(we like a thicker crust).

Today I made the crust into little bite size pizzas because my 7 year old is going to a party tomorrow where they are serving bagle bites. They turned out great. I used the regular rapid rise yeast and made them a little thicker.

Just in case anyone wants to know I didn't make her flour exactly like her recipe. I used brown rice flour instead of white rice flour(I didn't have any), I was a few tablespoons short on the potato starch so I finished it off with tapioca(don't think this impacted it much), and used Maseca(instant corn masa flour) because I didn't have regular corn flour.

All in all the 7 year old liked them a lot and so did I. They will definately do the trick tomorrow. I've made several up ahead and I am going to freeze them for school lunches.

sa1937 Community Regular

I've tried this recipe several times now. First two times were alright at best. I made it again today and it was great. Here is what I think I did wrong the first two times: tried using regular yeast 1st time, used yeast specially formulated for pizza the second time and spread out the crust to thin(we like a thicker crust).

Today I made the crust into little bite size pizzas because my 7 year old is going to a party tomorrow where they are serving bagle bites. They turned out great. I used the regular rapid rise yeast and made them a little thicker.

Just in case anyone wants to know I didn't make her flour exactly like her recipe. I used brown rice flour instead of white rice flour(I didn't have any), I was a few tablespoons short on the potato starch so I finished it off with tapioca(don't think this impacted it much), and used Maseca(instant corn masa flour) because I didn't have regular corn flour.

All in all the 7 year old liked them a lot and so did I. They will definately do the trick tomorrow. I've made several up ahead and I am going to freeze them for school lunches.

So glad it turned out so well and it's fast! I want to double the recipe and stash some crusts in the freezer. Last time I made it I did make two smaller crusts and froze one, which turned out fine and is quick when I don't have to diddle around making the crust first. It is still my go to recipe.

In her Free for All Cooking book, she has a number of different variations of flours so there's a lot of leeway.

Also, if you like Focaccia, this recipe makes a good one. I made it on Christmas Eve and brushed it with olive oil and sprinkled it with sea salt and chopped fresh rosemary. There wasn't a crumb left and I was the only one gluten-free.

Archived