Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 MerrillC1977

MerrillC1977

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:25 AM

Sure!!!! $10 for flour, $48 for shipping :blink: Think I'll wait till next year for King Arthur himself. :lol:

Well, I didn't check what the shipping prices would be. It was just a suggestion. Sorry.

#18 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:42 AM

I am definitely going to try this recipe. I gave up trying to make my own when Udi's came out with their white loaf but If I can get almost 2 loaves from 1 box of KA flour it's worth a shot. I get my KA flour at Market Basket for $4.99 a box. It's $6.99 at stop and shop and other stores so it's worth trying.

Last time I measured it was 4.25 cups in a KA box, any suggestions for subbing a 1/2 cup of KA flour with something else to stretch the box to make 2 loaves?
Would 1/2 flax meal make it too gummy as there are 3 eggs already? or coconut flour ? looking to boost fiber content a little

any suggestions from you more experienced bakers

Maureen

#19 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

I am definitely going to try this recipe. I gave up trying to make my own when Udi's came out with their white loaf but If I can get almost 2 loaves from 1 box of KA flour it's worth a shot. I get my KA flour at Market Basket for $4.99 a box. It's $6.99 at stop and shop and other stores so it's worth trying.

Last time I measured it was 4.25 cups in a KA box, any suggestions for subbing a 1/2 cup of KA flour with something else to stretch the box to make 2 loaves?
Would 1/2 flax meal make it too gummy as there are 3 eggs already? or coconut flour ? looking to boost fiber content a little

any suggestions from you more experienced bakers

Maureen

See the flour sub suggestion from KA's blog (I posted it earlier in this thread). I would think you could just use 1/2 cup finely ground brown rice flour since that's what the majority of the flour is made from. Let us know if you try that and how it works. I need to price my individual flours out and figure out which way is a less expensive. King Arthur gluten-free flour cost 7.99 a box where I live--I have only ever seen it at Kroger.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#20 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

What sized loaf pan was used, and was it metal or glass ?

#21 MerrillC1977

MerrillC1977

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

What sized loaf pan was used, and was it metal or glass ?

It was a metal loaf pan, but gosh, I am not sure of the exact size....maybe about 8" x 4" or 9" x 5". It's the regular loaf pan that you get when you buy a set of Wilton oven pans. Like this:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 Schatz

Schatz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

Wow, your bread looks good. I can't wait until I get a stand mixer.
Aug 15, 2011 Newly diagnosed and scared!

#23 MerrillC1977

MerrillC1977

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:44 AM

Wow, your bread looks good. I can't wait until I get a stand mixer.

You could probably do it without a stand mixer (just need a bit of elbow grease), or using a regular hand mixer, although I haven't tried either of those ways myself.

#24 Sam'sMom

Sam'sMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:08 AM

Can't wait to try it. I just got on here to ask this very question about a good bread recipe and there it is. I am heading to the store today to find King Arthur and his court. Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes. Just one question for now... I don't have a good stand up mixer (but I can borrow one), but in the meantime do you have any other suggestions for mixing if I don't have one of these?

Thanks

#25 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:37 AM

I made this last night and it's the best bread I have made so far and really it's because of the KA flour it's the most finely ground without special ordering it. I added a tbl flax meal and subbed a 1/4 cup coconut flour for 1/2 c KA flour (coconut flour swells to almost dbl it's size). It tastes great , I needed to go the full 60 minutes and didn't, I couldn't wait :) but otherwise really nice loaf.

I would suggest not borrowing a stand mixer if it's not from a gluten free home. Otherwise you can mix by hand, it just takes a lot of elbow grease. The batter is thick like cookie dough.

Sift the dry ingredients together really well first, make a well to add the wet into to incorporate them.

good luck

#26 MerrillC1977

MerrillC1977

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

...and subbed a 1/4 cup coconut flour for 1/2 c KA flour (coconut flour swells to almost dbl it's size...

Ooh, I am excited to try it with some coconut flour now. :) Thanks for the tip!!!

The Bob's Red Mill page re: coconut flour says: "You can replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with Coconut Flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe."

Did you add any extra liquid to the recipe?

#27 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

I'm making this right now! It's rising in my warm oven. :D

Just some notes for those that asked about not having a stand mixer: I started out mixing it by hand and then when I realized it was not a very hard dough but more of a thick batter I used my little hand mixer (a cheapy one bought on a black friday deal, LOL) to mix it up more thouroughly. This dough/battr is almost identical in thickness/texture to the King Arthur's gluten-free pizza recipe on their blog. So if you have made that pizza crust with your hand mixer (I have) you can do the same with this bread dough and not worry about it burning up the mixer. It really needs a mixer however to get it smooth. Mixing by hand for several minutes I still had lumps of flour in the batter. The KA blog for the pizza crust recipe says that you need a mixer and it won't work by hand mixing. I tend to think this would be the same for this bread recipe. So if you don't have a mixer you may want to at least get a cheap one for this recipe.

OP you did not say how long to let it rise but I'm assuming about an hour? I set a time for a hour for the rise. I'll get back to y'all after I bake it :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#28 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

Just checked on my bread and in only 40 minutes it rose OVER the edge of the pan and was oozing onto my oven floor. Fortunately I caught it before there was too big of a mess. I transfered the loaf pan toa cookie sheet and moved my oven racks around so it won't hit the upper racks or the top of the oven if it rises too high during baking. I have high hopes for this loaf now. :lol:

I'm just waiting for my oven to preheat and then into the fun begins! :)

#29 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

Well it's in the oven! I should note that I used a 2.5 by 8.5 inch glass pyrex loaf pan. I had greased th epan with palm shortening. The batter was about an inch below the lip when I poured it into the pan so I thought it was big enough but next time I will either make two shorter loaves or use a bigger pan.

#30 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:39 AM

Ooh, I am excited to try it with some coconut flour now. :) Thanks for the tip!!!

The Bob's Red Mill page re: coconut flour says: "You can replace up to 20% of the flour called for in a recipe with Coconut Flour, adding an equivalent amount of additional liquid to the recipe."

Did you add any extra liquid to the recipe?

I didn't add extra liquid only because it was 1/4 cup , actually it was a little less than that because I addded a tbs of flax meal to make it 1/4 c. It seemed fine without more liquid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: