This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Perfect Gluten-Free White/sandwich Bread

MerrillC1977

Mizzo Enthusiast

I just went on A... and the King's Arthur multi purpose flour is there for $9.99 per box.

keep watching A... If that is your only option as they have sales every month or so on gluten-free foods for about 25% off.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

When my husband and I went shopping for the KA flour he picked out an artisan bread(gluten one) from the bakery.

I was going to make a pot of vegetable soup and we could both have bread and butter with it.

When my bread came out of the oven it looked beautiful and I was hopeful. I waited for it to cool for a while and placed it in a plastic bag while slightly warm to keep the moisture in.

Once the soup was ready I cut a couple of slices and buttered it. One taste had me hooked! I told my hubby "here..taste this". He said it was better than the artisan bread he had chosen.

To be honest with you..I didn't even want to eat soup with it. I just wanted the bread! :D

I'm thinking I'll slice up the rest of it and keep some out for eating now and freeze a couple of slices?

Ginsou Explorer

When my husband and I went shopping for the KA flour he picked out an artisan bread(gluten one) from the bakery.

I was going to make a pot of vegetable soup and we could both have bread and butter with it.

When my bread came out of the oven it looked beautiful and I was hopeful. I waited for it to cool for a while and placed it in a plastic bag while slightly warm to keep the moisture in.

Once the soup was ready I cut a couple of slices and buttered it. One taste had me hooked! I told my hubby "here..taste this". He said it was better than the artisan bread he had chosen.

To be honest with you..I didn't even want to eat soup with it. I just wanted the bread! :D

I'm thinking I'll slice up the rest of it and keep some out for eating now and freeze a couple of slices?

I purchased the King Arthur Gluten free multigrain bread mix directly from the company,and hope to try it within the next few weeks. It's still too hot where I live to bake (yes, I could turn the A/C on) but the main reason is I have little room left in the freezer. All my KA food items have turned out fantastic.

Sam'sMom Apprentice

I have a quick question for anyone who might be on here right now... would it be bad if I left and let this rise for a couple of hours? I'm not a big bread maker, so I don't really know, but do know I have to leave and won't be back for that long. Thanks

Simona19 Collaborator

I have a quick question for anyone who might be on here right now... would it be bad if I left and let this rise for a couple of hours? I'm not a big bread maker, so I don't really know, but do know I have to leave and won't be back for that long. Thanks

I don't know how the results would be, but you can put it into the fridge. It will slows down the process.

MerrillC1977 Apprentice

I think someone who accidentally let it rise too long had it spill over the sides of the pan....because gluten-free bread dough is more like a "batter" than a "dough" it can't hold itself up while it's still raw. So, yes, I think there is an upper limit on how long you can let it rise....and it's probably not more than a hour/hour and a half? But it probably also depends on whether you are using regular or quick rise yeast....that would affect the timing, too.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

You probably already did this but just in case, I wanted to respond. I was the one that let my bread rise for an hour. gluten-free breads are not the same as gluten breads where you can just let them rise a little longer and no harm done. gluten-free breads often will collapse once you pull them out of the oven if they rose too high during the rise time. I had this happen to my loaf and I was just using plain yeast not rapid rise or anything. It would be better ot make this bread when you are going to be home to keep an eye on it. My bread was still really good but the loaf was shorter and more compact than a "normal" loaf due to the over-rise and collapsing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zus888 Contributor

Thank you for posting this!!! I can't wait to try it!! I'm SO EXCITED!! To actually be able to have a SANDWICH?! I'm beside myself at the mere thought. And, I have a coupon for Whole Foods. Looks like I'll be buying some King Arthur!

Simona19 Collaborator

Thank you for posting this!!! I can't wait to try it!! I'm SO EXCITED!! To actually be able to have a SANDWICH?! I'm beside myself at the mere thought. And, I have a coupon for Whole Foods. Looks like I'll be buying some King Arthur!

As I'm writing this, I'm eating the last slice of this sandwich bread with earth balance margarine and 3 slices of Hormel hard salami from the second loaf that I have baked this week. Yummmmmmmy!

It's really good.

Sam'sMom Apprentice

Yep - it turned out really good. Thanks for the recipe.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I wondered how others store this bread. I ate some while it was still warm, but saved the rest until the next day. Then I sliced it up and put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. Once I thawed a couple of slices it wasn't as yummy. Will still be good for grilled cheese or french toast though. I just wondered if there's a better way of keeping it?

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I have really enjoyed reading this thread as well as the one about Challah by Simona. Out of respect for all those who have gone before in the bread baking saga of gluten free baking I wanted to post this link.

I think your recipe must belong at the end of this thread in light of the reviews it is getting. The Challah by Simona rates up there too from the reviews I've read.

I've never baked a loaf of gluten free bread. It wasn't worth it to me after reading the reverse engineering thread when I first got on here a year ago. I was exhausted and frustrated by the prospect of bread. :blink: But the pictures of your loaf and Simona's are very enticing. I think there might be some bread baking in this house this winter! :o;)

Thank you both.

Sam'sMom Apprentice

I wondered how others store this bread. I ate some while it was still warm, but saved the rest until the next day. Then I sliced it up and put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. Once I thawed a couple of slices it wasn't as yummy. Will still be good for grilled cheese or french toast though. I just wondered if there's a better way of keeping it?

I put it in a plastic bag and left it out overnight the first night and made sandwiches with it the next day. Then put it in the fridge. It is still good right now on day 2 in fridge. Better than most things.

msFrancie Newbie

Has anyone adapted this recipe to a bread machine? I'm new to gluten free and to bread machines, and can use all the advice you have.

Mine didn't last for more than two days (we ate it all the second day, lol) but I put it in a ziploc bag and just left in on the counter.

cougie23 Explorer

King Aurther flour? Just for reference sake...so we all don't get our hopes up here...what country are you in? is this a UK thing or can we find this in the US...East coaost...West coast...AUS. ???Where did you get this? The bread looks GREAT!!!! :D

King Aurther flour? Just for reference sake...so we all don't get our hopes up here...what country are you in? is this a UK thing or can we find this in the US...East coaost...West coast...AUS. ???Where did you get this? The bread looks GREAT!!!! :D

Hi Cougie! King Arthur gluten-free flour is sold in the US. They also will ship to Canada on their website. I find it in Kroger in my stores in Virginia. If you read through the entire thread I think some others gave the names of their stores where they find it. My Kroger stores stock it in the middle of the gluten flours in the baking section (it's a little box) which is really strange because my Kroger actually has a gluten-free section but they don't put the KA gluten-free flour there. :huh: I hope you can fidn it to try to make this bread. :)

Mizzo Enthusiast

here in Mass. I get it at Stop and shop, Market Basket/Demoulas, and Daves in RI

Simona19 Collaborator

Check this:

https://www.celiac.com/forums/topic/85650-gluten-free-sandwich-bread/#entry735949

I tried to make this bread with KA flour twice- delicious!! But I don't want to pay $10,69 per 1 little box of flour mix. Anyway I bought the last box in stores around me.

Yesterday I made this. I copy the recipe little and mixed some flours and the result is wow. Almost perfect, or maybe the same.

I do apologize to MerrillC1977.

She is the one who made the first good sandwich bread. Sorry.

Sam'sMom Apprentice

Hi Cougie! King Arthur gluten-free flour is sold in the US. They also will ship to Canada on their website. I find it in Kroger in my stores in Virginia. If you read through the entire thread I think some others gave the names of their stores where they find it. My Kroger stores stock it in the middle of the gluten flours in the baking section (it's a little box) which is really strange because my Kroger actually has a gluten-free section but they don't put the KA gluten-free flour there. :huh: I hope you can fidn it to try to make this bread. :)

where in Virginia are you? I'm in Charlottesville and they don't carry it in our Kroger,unfortunately.

cougie23 Explorer

Thankyou... we don't have these stores in southern calif. that I know of...at least not near me! Ralphs has KROGER brand, but I don't nkow about any gluten free flour? we have whole foods...its more eclectic and has a more Natural option of items...I'll look there...but otherwise the alternitive recipt looks great...I've allready printed it out! :P:lol::D

Sam'sMom Apprentice

Thankyou... we don't have these stores in southern calif. that I know of...at least not near me! Ralphs has KROGER brand, but I don't nkow about any gluten free flour? we have whole foods...its more eclectic and has a more Natural option of items...I'll look there...but otherwise the alternitive recipt looks great...I've allready printed it out! :P:lol::D

I get mine at Whole Foods so if they don't carry it, just ask and they should be willing to get it.

mushroom Proficient

Cougie: From post #8 on this thread:

"

*Make your own blend

Many of our gluten-free recipes use our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour, which includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in gluten-free baked goods. Our flour also increases the shelf life of your treats, keeping them fresh longer.

The following make-at-home blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works pretty well when substituted; and it tastes better than a blend using regular brown rice flour. (Ed. - you can still use regular brown rice flour)

Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it'll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version)."

Going to try this today after I go next door to get some potato starch :P

where in Virginia are you? I'm in Charlottesville and they don't carry it in our Kroger,unfortunately.

I'm in Norfolk, VA. I have found it at more than one Kroger store in this area as well as in Virginia Beach. If your Kroger carries other gluten-free products you may be able to get them to start carrying this flour too. Also you can order fromt he KA website (although that's more expensive with shipping costs)--they do ship to anywhere in the US and Canada.

Cougie: From post #8 on this thread:

"

*Make your own blend

Many of our gluten-free recipes use our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour, which includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in gluten-free baked goods. Our flour also increases the shelf life of your treats, keeping them fresh longer.

The following make-at-home blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works pretty well when substituted; and it tastes better than a blend using regular brown rice flour. (Ed. - you can still use regular brown rice flour)

Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it'll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version)."

Going to try this today after I go next door to get some potato starch :P

I'll be looking forward to your update when you try it Mushroom! I think it would be cheaper for me to buy all the individual flours than to buy KA gluten-free flour.

Archived