95 replies to this topic

#61 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

I wondered how others store this bread. I ate some while it was still warm, but saved the rest until the next day. Then I sliced it up and put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. Once I thawed a couple of slices it wasn't as yummy. Will still be good for grilled cheese or french toast though. I just wondered if there's a better way of keeping it?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:28 AM

I have really enjoyed reading this thread as well as the one about Challah by Simona. Out of respect for all those who have gone before in the bread baking saga of gluten free baking I wanted to post this link.

http://www.celiac.co...ing-udis-bread/

I think your recipe must belong at the end of this thread in light of the reviews it is getting. The Challah by Simona rates up there too from the reviews I've read.

I've never baked a loaf of gluten free bread. It wasn't worth it to me after reading the reverse engineering thread when I first got on here a year ago. I was exhausted and frustrated by the prospect of bread. :blink: But the pictures of your loaf and Simona's are very enticing. I think there might be some bread baking in this house this winter! :o ;)
Thank you both.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#63 Sam'sMom

Sam'sMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:13 AM

I wondered how others store this bread. I ate some while it was still warm, but saved the rest until the next day. Then I sliced it up and put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer. Once I thawed a couple of slices it wasn't as yummy. Will still be good for grilled cheese or french toast though. I just wondered if there's a better way of keeping it?

I put it in a plastic bag and left it out overnight the first night and made sandwiches with it the next day. Then put it in the fridge. It is still good right now on day 2 in fridge. Better than most things.

#64 msFrancie

msFrancie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

Has anyone adapted this recipe to a bread machine? I'm new to gluten free and to bread machines, and can use all the advice you have.
"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants."
- A. Whitney Brown

#65 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

Mine didn't last for more than two days (we ate it all the second day, lol) but I put it in a ziploc bag and just left in on the counter.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#66 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:01 AM

King Aurther flour? Just for reference sake...so we all don't get our hopes up here...what country are you in? is this a UK thing or can we find this in the US...East coaost...West coast...AUS. ???Where did you get this? The bread looks GREAT!!!! :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#67 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

King Aurther flour? Just for reference sake...so we all don't get our hopes up here...what country are you in? is this a UK thing or can we find this in the US...East coaost...West coast...AUS. ???Where did you get this? The bread looks GREAT!!!! :D

Hi Cougie! King Arthur gluten-free flour is sold in the US. They also will ship to Canada on their website. I find it in Kroger in my stores in Virginia. If you read through the entire thread I think some others gave the names of their stores where they find it. My Kroger stores stock it in the middle of the gluten flours in the baking section (it's a little box) which is really strange because my Kroger actually has a gluten-free section but they don't put the KA gluten-free flour there. :huh: I hope you can fidn it to try to make this bread. :)
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#68 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

here in Mass. I get it at Stop and shop, Market Basket/Demoulas, and Daves in RI

#69 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:37 AM

Check this:

http://www.celiac.co...ad/#entry735949

I tried to make this bread with KA flour twice- delicious!! But I don't want to pay $10,69 per 1 little box of flour mix. Anyway I bought the last box in stores around me.
Yesterday I made this. I copy the recipe little and mixed some flours and the result is wow. Almost perfect, or maybe the same.

I do apologize to MerrillC1977.
She is the one who made the first good sandwich bread. Sorry.

#70 Sam'sMom

Sam'sMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hi Cougie! King Arthur gluten-free flour is sold in the US. They also will ship to Canada on their website. I find it in Kroger in my stores in Virginia. If you read through the entire thread I think some others gave the names of their stores where they find it. My Kroger stores stock it in the middle of the gluten flours in the baking section (it's a little box) which is really strange because my Kroger actually has a gluten-free section but they don't put the KA gluten-free flour there. :huh: I hope you can fidn it to try to make this bread. :)

where in Virginia are you? I'm in Charlottesville and they don't carry it in our Kroger,unfortunately.

#71 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

Thankyou... we don't have these stores in southern calif. that I know of...at least not near me! Ralphs has KROGER brand, but I don't nkow about any gluten free flour? we have whole foods...its more eclectic and has a more Natural option of items...I'll look there...but otherwise the alternitive recipt looks great...I've allready printed it out! :P :lol: :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#72 Sam'sMom

Sam'sMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

Thankyou... we don't have these stores in southern calif. that I know of...at least not near me! Ralphs has KROGER brand, but I don't nkow about any gluten free flour? we have whole foods...its more eclectic and has a more Natural option of items...I'll look there...but otherwise the alternitive recipt looks great...I've allready printed it out! :P :lol: :D

I get mine at Whole Foods so if they don't carry it, just ask and they should be willing to get it.

#73 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

Cougie: From post #8 on this thread:

"
*Make your own blend
Many of our gluten-free recipes use our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour, which includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in gluten-free baked goods. Our flour also increases the shelf life of your treats, keeping them fresh longer.

The following make-at-home blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works pretty well when substituted; and it tastes better than a blend using regular brown rice flour. (Ed. - you can still use regular brown rice flour)

Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it'll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version)."

Going to try this today after I go next door to get some potato starch :P
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#74 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

where in Virginia are you? I'm in Charlottesville and they don't carry it in our Kroger,unfortunately.

I'm in Norfolk, VA. I have found it at more than one Kroger store in this area as well as in Virginia Beach. If your Kroger carries other gluten-free products you may be able to get them to start carrying this flour too. Also you can order fromt he KA website (although that's more expensive with shipping costs)--they do ship to anywhere in the US and Canada.

#75 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

Cougie: From post #8 on this thread:

"
*Make your own blend
Many of our gluten-free recipes use our King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour, which includes ingredients that reduce the grittiness sometimes found in gluten-free baked goods. Our flour also increases the shelf life of your treats, keeping them fresh longer.

The following make-at-home blend, featuring stabilized brown rice flour, works pretty well when substituted; and it tastes better than a blend using regular brown rice flour. (Ed. - you can still use regular brown rice flour)

Whisk together 6 cups (32 ounces) King Arthur stabilized brown rice flour; 2 cups (10 3/4 ounces) potato starch; and 1 cup (4 ounces) tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Store airtight at room temperature. Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like; it'll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version)."

Going to try this today after I go next door to get some potato starch :P

I'll be looking forward to your update when you try it Mushroom! I think it would be cheaper for me to buy all the individual flours than to buy KA gluten-free flour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: