6 replies to this topic

#1 sariesue

sariesue

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

Last night I tried to make an apple pie using the gluten free pantry pie crust. It didn't come out too well, what I made looks like a pie and kinda tastes like a pie but was really dry with a funny texture/aftertaste. I was kinda disappointed. Does anyone know of either a better mix or have a good recipe?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:00 PM

This recipe is really good - gluten-eaters can't tell the difference.

Vinegar Pastry by Betty Hagman. This makes two crusts.

1 c white rice flour
3/4 c tapioca flour
3/4 c cornstarch
1 t xanthan gum
3/4 t salt
1 T sugar
Combine all of the above. Cut into it: 3/4 c shortening.

Blend together:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1T vinegar
Add this to the flour mixture.

Add ice water, 1 T at a time, and toss with a fork until it holds together when squeezed without being crumbly or sticky. Divide in 2 and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min. At this point you can freeze it.

Roll out between pieces of rice-floured wax paper or plastic wrap, remove the top one and invert into the pie plate. Finish and bake as usual for your pie recipe. Bake all the scraps as well, spread them with jelly, and pretend they're pop tarts. A frozen ball of this stuff keeps pretty well, so you can make a pie now and one a few months from now.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#3 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:28 AM

Thanks you. I miss the ease of pie making with the premade pillsbury pie crust.

#4 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:26 AM

I've used the coconut flour pastry recipe in the Cooking with Coconut Flour cookbook, it's a bit tricky, but it made really good strawberry rhubarb pie! :)

#5 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

This recipe is really good - gluten-eaters can't tell the difference.

Vinegar Pastry by Betty Hagman. This makes two crusts.

1 c white rice flour
3/4 c tapioca flour
3/4 c cornstarch
1 t xanthan gum
3/4 t salt
1 T sugar
Combine all of the above. Cut into it: 3/4 c shortening.

Blend together:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1T vinegar
Add this to the flour mixture.

Add ice water, 1 T at a time, and toss with a fork until it holds together when squeezed without being crumbly or sticky. Divide in 2 and wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 min. At this point you can freeze it.

Roll out between pieces of rice-floured wax paper or plastic wrap, remove the top one and invert into the pie plate. Finish and bake as usual for your pie recipe. Bake all the scraps as well, spread them with jelly, and pretend they're pop tarts. A frozen ball of this stuff keeps pretty well, so you can make a pie now and one a few months from now.

This Pie crust is FANTASTIC! This is the first gluten free pie crust I made and just last month! :lol: I was afraid of making one because I didn't want all that work and it turn out gross. So for the past three years I just didn't make any pies. :( I didn't have any white rice flour so I used brown rice flour with some buckwheat flour added in instead. My kids and husband loved it as well! I only needed one crust for a pumpkin pie. I took the rest of the dough, rolled it out, smeared butter/brown sugar/cinnamon, rolled it up and sliced it up and baked the little pinwheels. Yummy! I hadn't had those in a long time. It took me back to my childhood when my mom would let me make them out of the leftover pie crust. I also sucessfully made homemade "pop tarts" out of the crust. I made them with cinnamon/sugar and blackberry and strawberry preserves. When cool I made a real thick powdered sugar glaze and frosted the tops and it hardened on them. They were a big hit too.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#6 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

Not what you asked for, but maybe helpful anyway...

We eat a lot of crustless pumpkin pies because we like pumpkin pie so much. You just make the regular old Libby's pie recipe and pour it into a pie pan to bake as usual. Once cooled (at least mostly cooled) the pieces come out just like they would with a crust. I'm the only one who likes crust in our family anyway, so this is a no-brainer for our every other week pumpkin pies in the fall. I've also made a toasted almond crust by toasting almonds on stove top, grinding in food processor, adding sugar and melted butter. It's excellent for cheesecake but is also wonderful in place of graham cracker crusts for pies that call for that kind of crust.

#7 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

I make crustless pumpkin pie all the time, I actually prefer it that way now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: