arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

So, I'm Just Sitting Here Staring At The Dog...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

So, here I am without a headache for the first time in days, lots to do....

And the dog woke me up at 3 am pacing and panting and wanting constant touching. He never does this.

So, this hasn't stopped, he goes in and out, is acting a bit disoriented and just not right...no diarrhea, has an appetite, and only sleeps if I sit down on the floor with him AND DON'T MOVE.

Have a vet appt. at 3:15. I'm very concerned because he's almost 11 and I know it's a matter if time before he starts decline...but I was counting on it not happening THIS WEEK.

Anyway, since this is the "discuss anything but gluten" area this is what I'm thinking about and talking about today.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Sorry to hear about your doggie - that is rather strange behavior. Hope things turn out well for him this afternoon. At least you have a clear head :rolleyes: to deal with the problem :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

Sorry to hear about your doggie - that is rather strange behavior. Hope things turn out well for him this afternoon. At least you have a clear head :rolleyes: to deal with the problem :)

Thanks. And fortunately and unfortunately I do have a clear head. It would be nice to have a drink...it would be nice to give him a drink....I found holistic pet store and I will be going there to get something mild to help him relax. My poor old guy, I swear he was a puppy yesterday.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,696 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:26 PM

Glad you are in tune with him and are able to get him right into the vet. Wait until after you see the vet before you give him any OTC stuff to help him relax. You want the vet to see what you are seeing. Let us know how things went. Hope all is well.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:49 PM

Yes, let us know.. . .....nothing is worse than a sick, much-loved family dog. :(

Methinks it's worse than sick kids. <_< :rolleyes:
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#6 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

:( So hard when the furries are sick.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#7 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,811 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Have a vet appt. at 3:15. I'm very concerned because he's almost 11 and I know it's a matter if time before he starts decline...but I was counting on it not happening THIS WEEK.

You haven't come back to report. I'm getting worried! I hope your doggie friend is OK. :(

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:22 PM

Well, we don't know.

Nothing obvious jumped out except full anal glands so they expressed those. No infection there. Now his neck/shoulder is sore and I gave him the usual doggie dope for that. Also gave him some homeopathic calming drops.

He wouldn't get out of my SUV. And he wouldn't stand up. He didn't want to jump, don't blame him with a sore shoulder. Finally made a soft landing pad with his beds - hard to catch or pull 72 lbs. of unwilling fur, and he came out.

I'm having a cider.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#9 kareng

kareng

Yum!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,811 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good medication for both human and dog. Hope he's better in the morning.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#10 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good medication for both human and dog. Hope he's better in the morning.

Yes, but I'm out of my "meds"....I'm thinking of sipping on tequila. He's asleep mow. Finally. And not on top of me.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#11 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:44 PM

I don't know if this will help your best friend or not, but my 12 year old doberman was on her last leg 16 months ago and the vet put her on prednisone. That is wicked stuff and we followed the vet's directions but then started buying treats and foods that prommoted good hip and joint. She's still an old girl but so much better. We have had her off prednisone for two years and she's better off it than on it. Glucosomine is what helped my beloved pup, maybe it's worth a try? I didn't expect her to make it St Patrick's Day, and we're still going for (short) walks. Wish you welll, it's hard when a beloved pet is failing.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#12 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

I don't know if this will help your best friend or not, but my 12 year old doberman was on her last leg 16 months ago and the vet put her on prednisone. That is wicked stuff and we followed the vet's directions but then started buying treats and foods that prommoted good hip and joint. She's still an old girl but so much better. We have had her off prednisone for two years and she's better off it than on it. Glucosomine is what helped my beloved pup, maybe it's worth a try? I didn't expect her to make it St Patrick's Day, and we're still going for (short) walks. Wish you welll, it's hard when a beloved pet is failing.

Thanks. We've tried glucosimine and didn't see progress with him. He's a rough and tough guy - he has run head first into glass doors, rolled down hills, pulled gates out of cement. We're pretty sure he has some pinched nerve or something like that which flares periodically.

That said, maybe it's worth a try again. I'm thinking he has sensory failure and perhaps beginning doggie Alzheimers.... I love him to death and it will break my heart when he goes...but I refuse to put him through pain just to make myself feel better. He deserves better.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,696 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:05 AM

That said, maybe it's worth a try again. I'm thinking he has sensory failure and perhaps beginning doggie Alzheimers.... I love him to death and it will break my heart when he goes...but I refuse to put him through pain just to make myself feel better. He deserves better.

Talk to your vet about that possibility. Doggie Alzheimers is awful but there are things they can do to help if that is what it is. We had a dog go through that and he was with us for a few months after diagnosis. We finally had to call it the end when he would get 'lost' in my bedroom. It was sad to have to let him go but in the end that was what we had to do. If he continues to refuse to walk do get him back to the vet for more tests. You don't just want to prolong his life you want him to have a good quality of life. I do hope he improves as it is so hard to let go when the time comes.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

Hopefully, it was just that the anal glands were full that caused this episode? We had a dog that had problems with them and apparently it's quite painful?
Good luck to you AND your buddy!

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:23 PM

Well, my furry baby is much better today. His shoulder/neck is very tender from jumping up/down out of the SUV but doggie dope is helping with that.

We still catch him staring or trying to listen once in a while... are thinking it's his eyes and not his hearing. I hope he didn't have some brain seizure, etc. that suddenly decreased his vision. We're just going to wait and see.

Did notice more poops in the yard so he's definitely more normal, maybe it was his anal glands. He's eating and begging and his tail is up and wagging. Today was good, I hope it continues.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: