This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So, I'm Just Sitting Here Staring At The Dog...

pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

So, here I am without a headache for the first time in days, lots to do....

And the dog woke me up at 3 am pacing and panting and wanting constant touching. He never does this.

So, this hasn't stopped, he goes in and out, is acting a bit disoriented and just not right...no diarrhea, has an appetite, and only sleeps if I sit down on the floor with him AND DON'T MOVE.

Have a vet appt. at 3:15. I'm very concerned because he's almost 11 and I know it's a matter if time before he starts decline...but I was counting on it not happening THIS WEEK.

Anyway, since this is the "discuss anything but gluten" area this is what I'm thinking about and talking about today.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Sorry to hear about your doggie - that is rather strange behavior. Hope things turn out well for him this afternoon. At least you have a clear head :rolleyes: to deal with the problem :)

Sorry to hear about your doggie - that is rather strange behavior. Hope things turn out well for him this afternoon. At least you have a clear head :rolleyes: to deal with the problem :)

Thanks. And fortunately and unfortunately I do have a clear head. It would be nice to have a drink...it would be nice to give him a drink....I found holistic pet store and I will be going there to get something mild to help him relax. My poor old guy, I swear he was a puppy yesterday.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Glad you are in tune with him and are able to get him right into the vet. Wait until after you see the vet before you give him any OTC stuff to help him relax. You want the vet to see what you are seeing. Let us know how things went. Hope all is well.

elye Community Regular

Yes, let us know.. . .....nothing is worse than a sick, much-loved family dog. :(

Methinks it's worse than sick kids. <_<:rolleyes:

Jestgar Rising Star
:( So hard when the furries are sick.
kareng Grand Master

Have a vet appt. at 3:15. I'm very concerned because he's almost 11 and I know it's a matter if time before he starts decline...but I was counting on it not happening THIS WEEK.

You haven't come back to report. I'm getting worried! I hope your doggie friend is OK. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Well, we don't know.

Nothing obvious jumped out except full anal glands so they expressed those. No infection there. Now his neck/shoulder is sore and I gave him the usual doggie dope for that. Also gave him some homeopathic calming drops.

He wouldn't get out of my SUV. And he wouldn't stand up. He didn't want to jump, don't blame him with a sore shoulder. Finally made a soft landing pad with his beds - hard to catch or pull 72 lbs. of unwilling fur, and he came out.

I'm having a cider.

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good medication for both human and dog. Hope he's better in the morning.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like good medication for both human and dog. Hope he's better in the morning.

Yes, but I'm out of my "meds"....I'm thinking of sipping on tequila. He's asleep mow. Finally. And not on top of me.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I don't know if this will help your best friend or not, but my 12 year old doberman was on her last leg 16 months ago and the vet put her on prednisone. That is wicked stuff and we followed the vet's directions but then started buying treats and foods that prommoted good hip and joint. She's still an old girl but so much better. We have had her off prednisone for two years and she's better off it than on it. Glucosomine is what helped my beloved pup, maybe it's worth a try? I didn't expect her to make it St Patrick's Day, and we're still going for (short) walks. Wish you welll, it's hard when a beloved pet is failing.

I don't know if this will help your best friend or not, but my 12 year old doberman was on her last leg 16 months ago and the vet put her on prednisone. That is wicked stuff and we followed the vet's directions but then started buying treats and foods that prommoted good hip and joint. She's still an old girl but so much better. We have had her off prednisone for two years and she's better off it than on it. Glucosomine is what helped my beloved pup, maybe it's worth a try? I didn't expect her to make it St Patrick's Day, and we're still going for (short) walks. Wish you welll, it's hard when a beloved pet is failing.

Thanks. We've tried glucosimine and didn't see progress with him. He's a rough and tough guy - he has run head first into glass doors, rolled down hills, pulled gates out of cement. We're pretty sure he has some pinched nerve or something like that which flares periodically.

That said, maybe it's worth a try again. I'm thinking he has sensory failure and perhaps beginning doggie Alzheimers.... I love him to death and it will break my heart when he goes...but I refuse to put him through pain just to make myself feel better. He deserves better.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That said, maybe it's worth a try again. I'm thinking he has sensory failure and perhaps beginning doggie Alzheimers.... I love him to death and it will break my heart when he goes...but I refuse to put him through pain just to make myself feel better. He deserves better.

Talk to your vet about that possibility. Doggie Alzheimers is awful but there are things they can do to help if that is what it is. We had a dog go through that and he was with us for a few months after diagnosis. We finally had to call it the end when he would get 'lost' in my bedroom. It was sad to have to let him go but in the end that was what we had to do. If he continues to refuse to walk do get him back to the vet for more tests. You don't just want to prolong his life you want him to have a good quality of life. I do hope he improves as it is so hard to let go when the time comes.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Hopefully, it was just that the anal glands were full that caused this episode? We had a dog that had problems with them and apparently it's quite painful?

Good luck to you AND your buddy!

Well, my furry baby is much better today. His shoulder/neck is very tender from jumping up/down out of the SUV but doggie dope is helping with that.

We still catch him staring or trying to listen once in a while... are thinking it's his eyes and not his hearing. I hope he didn't have some brain seizure, etc. that suddenly decreased his vision. We're just going to wait and see.

Did notice more poops in the yard so he's definitely more normal, maybe it was his anal glands. He's eating and begging and his tail is up and wagging. Today was good, I hope it continues.

mushroom Proficient

He's eating and begging and his tail is up and wagging. Today was good, I hope it continues.

:) :) :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Well, my furry baby is much better today. His shoulder/neck is very tender from jumping up/down out of the SUV but doggie dope is helping with that.

We still catch him staring or trying to listen once in a while... are thinking it's his eyes and not his hearing. I hope he didn't have some brain seizure, etc. that suddenly decreased his vision. We're just going to wait and see.

Did notice more poops in the yard so he's definitely more normal, maybe it was his anal glands. He's eating and begging and his tail is up and wagging. Today was good, I hope it continues.

Sounds like those glands were giving him problems. My little guy never gave a hint that he was having problems with them until one day when one 'blew out' not long before he passed. My vet suggested we bring him in every six months to have them expressed. It is a good thing he gave you the clue that something was wrong in that area although not all dogs do. Hopefully he will continue to improve and be with you for a few more years. Even if his vision is decreased or even if he becomes deaf he can still have a good quality of life with an owner like you who cares for him and is understanding of his issues.

kareng Grand Master

That's great!

Archived