20 replies to this topic

#1 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

For those of you who were diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis AFTER you had been gluten free for awhile: Did your Hashimoto's antibodies (TPOab test) increase over time even though you were gluten free and took thyroid supplements??

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2004 and immediately began abstaining from gluten. However, I had hypothyroid symptoms for many years (maybe 40) before I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2010. So I had abstained from gluten for 6 years before my Hashi's dx. Nevertheless, I've needed more and more thyroid supplement to prevent hypothyroid symptoms (esp. constipation, fatigue and low body temperature). I don't easily convert T4 to T3 (verified by blood tests). So I take both T4 and T3 supplements. I initially need 5 mcg of T3 to prevent symptoms. Now I'm taking 30mcg of T3 (plus 50 mcg of T4) to stay 'normal' (regularity, temperature, energy).

Has anyone else had similar experience with needing higher T3 (and/or T4) dosage while abstaining from gluten? Did your Hashimoto's antibodies (verified by TPOab test) also rise during that time?

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

We'll find out, though it will be muddled. Last TPO I had was when I was dx'ed with Hashis. They ran another one last week-2.5 months gluten-free and after being on thyroid meds for years.

In 6 months I will have it run again and we'll see if they've fallen and if I can reduce meds.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

We'll find out, though it will be muddled. Last TPO I had was when I was dx'ed with Hashis. They ran another one last week-2.5 months gluten-free and after being on thyroid meds for years.

In 6 months I will have it run again and we'll see if they've fallen and if I can reduce meds.

Being gluten free didn't decrease my need for thyroid supplements. I knew years of undiagnosed celiac could damage my thyroid enough that I'd need a 'maintenance' dose the rest of my life. However, after 2 months of thyroid supplements, I began taking low dose naltrexone to increase my white blood cell level (neutropenia). LDN also positively affects Hashimoto's thyroiditis. So I needed only a small amount of thyroid (10 mcg of T3, 25 mcg T4 daily) while taking LDN. 3 months after ending LDN treatment, I needed 25 mcg of T3 and 50mcg T4). Now I need even more. So I wonder whether my Hashi's antibody level increased when I stopped the LDN.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

Being gluten free didn't decrease my need for thyroid supplements. I knew years of undiagnosed celiac could damage my thyroid enough that I'd need a 'maintenance' dose the rest of my life. However, after 2 months of thyroid supplements, I began taking low dose naltrexone to increase my white blood cell level (neutropenia). LDN also positively affects Hashimoto's thyroiditis. So I needed only a small amount of thyroid (10 mcg of T3, 25 mcg T4 daily) while taking LDN. 3 months after ending LDN treatment, I needed 25 mcg of T3 and 50mcg T4). Now I need even more. So I wonder whether my Hashi's antibody level
increased when I stopped the LDN.

That's interesting. My ND told me I will probably always be on meds since I have ALREADY been on them so long...even if my antibodies drop. It may reduce, who knows. I'm at a high-normal dose now.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

Yes, yes, yes.

I had no Hashi's antibodies when I went gluten free in 2005, although I was hypothyroid with a history of elevated TSH and nodules. 2008 I had TPOab around 200. This year my TPOab was over 400 plus I had thyroglobulin Ab appear. I just had TSI done as well because my Dr. suspects Graves' on top of the Hashi's.

I have been on gradually increasing doses of thyroid hormone pretty much all my adult life but it's really jumped the past year. I also went from 125 mcg T4 to 137 T4 because TSH was >5, then we added 12.5 T3, then that went to 25 of T3. I'm back to feeling hypo yet again and have a Dr. appt Monday.

I'm going on MSM and glutathione cream to see if it helps the inflammation and autoimmunity. :unsure:

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

That's interesting. My ND told me I will probably always be on meds since I have ALREADY been on them so long...even if my antibodies drop. It may reduce, who knows. I'm at a high-normal dose now.

Yup...that is pretty much how it is for many people. My antibodies went from 1200 in 2004 to "no antibodies detected" in 2011, yet I still take only
20 mcg less than I did before the Celiac diagnosis. I was diagnosed with Hashi's about 20 years ago and Celiac 6 years ago.

I think after so many years of assault, even if your antibodies come into the normal range, supplementation will remain. Your thyroid tends to slow down as we age anyway so that may account for some of it. I don't really mind because supplementation is not medicine...it's just hormone replacement. It's no different than taking birth control pills, except that with those, you are manipulating your hormone levels to prevent pregnancy. The trick is finding the right hormone which works well for you and keeping on top of it because dosage may have to be tweaked now and again.

#7 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

Yup...that is pretty much how it is for many people. My antibodies went from 1200 in 2004 to "no antibodies detected" in 2011, yet I still take only
20 mcg less than I did before the Celiac diagnosis. I was diagnosed with Hashi's about 20 years ago and Celiac 6 years ago.

I think after so many years of assault, even if your antibodies come into the normal range, supplementation will remain. Your thyroid tends to slow down as we age anyway so that may account for some of it. I don't really mind because supplementation is not medicine...it's just hormone replacement. It's no different than taking birth control pills, except that with those, you are manipulating your hormone levels to prevent pregnancy. The trick is finding the right hormone which works well for you and keeping on top of it because dosage may have to be tweaked now and again.

Thyroid problems run in my family (yeah, could be celiac/gluten intolerance runs in my family). A lot of females are on thyroid meds in our tree. I'm the only one dx'd so far with gluten issues. I'm also the youngest to go on thyroid meds - my aunt was dx'd with goiter and had half of hers removed about 30 years ago, now she's on low meds.

We're a thyroid mess.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#8 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

Thanks for all your comments. However, I just received my latest blood tests, which make me more confused than ever. My TSH was very low, but my free T4 was low normal and my free T3 was mid normal range. Furthermore my TPOab (Hashi's antibodies) were lower than my last test after completing 3 months of LDN. So I really don't know why I've had hypo symptoms and needed slightly higher doses of thyroid lately.

The only significant test result was my WBC (white blood count) which was lower than it was last April. It's still in the normal range, but near the low end of that range. That explains my recent chronic cold symptoms. (A year ago I had neutropenia or abnormally low neutrophils, before I took low dose naltrexone, which raised my WBC back to mid normal range.)

I intend to see my doc next week. I hope she can explain the 'big picture' for my thyroid test results. (She's very good at finding and treating 'causes' of symptoms, rather than just treating symptoms.)

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:55 AM

Are you hyper??? Hmm.

Have you tried different types of thyroid meds? Some people respond better to natural (Armour, etc), and some respond better to synthetics.

The other thing to wonder - are you getting glutened somehow? My gluten symptoms were Tge same as hypo symptoms - brain fog, tired, major c.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#10 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:04 AM

Are you hyper??? Hmm.

Have you tried different types of thyroid meds? Some people respond better to natural (Armour, etc), and some respond better to synthetics.

The other thing to wonder - are you getting glutened somehow? My gluten symptoms were Tge same as hypo symptoms - brain fog, tired, major c.

My T3 supplement could be a little higher than necessary. However, my blood test showed my T3 level was mid normal. I'm rather limited by my food allergies to thyroid meds. Some contain lactose. Others contain cane sugar. I can't use Armour, because I need a different proportion of T3 to T4 than Armour provides. I don't easily convert T4 to T3. So I need 2 separate supplements.

No, I'm not getting any gluten. My usual reaction is intense gut pain, bloating and gas, which lasts at least 2 weeks. I have none of those. So I suspect my low TSH is caused by my higher T3 dose. We'll see what my doc advises. With lower T3, I get more fatigue, constipation and low body temperature. (I never got fatigue and low body temp with gluten consumption.)

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

If changing ratios doesn't help, you may consider trying a different med combo. I know you are limited due to intolerances but some people respond better to one over the other.

http://thyroid.about...Replacement.htm

I used to respond to Armour, but didn't after the reformulation. I did better on Naturethroid. Then I went to thyroid usp (remember the supply issue a few years ago????). Now I'm back on synthetic t3/t4 because my t4 was low. It may all have to be reworked again after 6 months gluten-free.

Anyhow, you may want to try another combo if you can find one without lactose or cane sugar.

Perhaps you are needing supplementation - vitamins, minerals. It makes a huge difference for me. Almost as much as gluten-free or thyroid meds.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#12 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:06 AM

If changing ratios doesn't help, you may consider trying a different med combo. I know you are limited due to intolerances but some people respond better to one over the other.

http://thyroid.about...Replacement.htm

I used to respond to Armour, but didn't after the reformulation. I did better on Naturethroid. Then I went to thyroid usp (remember the supply issue a few years ago????). Now I'm back on synthetic t3/t4 because my t4 was low. It may all have to be reworked again after 6 months gluten-free.

Anyhow, you may want to try another combo if you can find one without lactose or cane sugar.

Perhaps you are needing supplementation - vitamins, minerals. It makes a huge difference for me. Almost as much as gluten-free or thyroid meds.

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I already take loads of supplements, vitamins, minerals, probiotics, etc. I can easily reduce my T3, which should raise my TSH. I have the only T4 and T3 brands which don't contain my allergens. No other choices. Now that I have my blood test results, I'll see what my doc says.

#13 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

I saw my doc yesterday and wanted to share her reaction to my recent tests. She was not at all alarmed by my low TSH result, because my T4 and T3 results were normal. She also gave me some info supporting TSH-suppressive dosages of thyroid supplements. Rather than prescribe thyroid dosages that keep the TSH within a 'standard' range, my doc (and the studies she gave me) prefer to give the patient enough thyroid supplement to eliminate their hypothyroid symptoms. So she encouraged me to stay on the T3/T4 doses that keep me free of hypothyroid symptoms. She also noticed that my core body temperature was the highest I've ever had (although I was in a cold exam room when that was measured). My improved body temp, regularity and energy level suggest that my current thyroid supplement doses are exactly what I need, despite my TSH result.

I've read so many posts on this board and on a thyroid support group from patients who are taking thyroid and still have hypothyroid symptoms. So I wonder how many docs insist that patients can only use T4 therapy or that they must maintain their TSH level within a certain range no matter no they feel.

#14 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:17 AM

I've read so many posts on this board and on a thyroid support group from patients who are taking thyroid and still have hypothyroid symptoms. So I wonder how many docs insist that patients can only use T4 therapy or that they must maintain their TSH level within a certain range no matter no they feel.

Thousands and thousands. There is an osteoporosis risk with over-suppression of TSH, but that has made doctors too conservative. Apparently people who were using thyroid for weight loss had spectacular osteoporosis and it really scared doctors. Even worse, the American Endocrinology Society promotes treatment with only T4 for almost everyone because of the steadier blood levels of hormone and some side effects of T3 treatment on heart. You have to fight tooth and nail to get onto T3 or natural thyroid, and to get enough to feel well. Maybe we are risking osteoporosis and heart disease, but I can't live my life hypothyroid to "save" my body for the future. That's insane!

I got good news yesterday too. My cholesterol has dropped 35 points since I started the 25 mcg of T3. Apparently my high-ish cholesterol was yet another symptom of hypothyroidsm and I needed some T3 to get down to normal cholesterol.

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

My doctors have always gone by the "how you feel" approach - which was why they were my doctors.

I didn't waste time on the others.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: