20 replies to this topic

#16 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

Thousands and thousands. There is an osteoporosis risk with over-suppression of TSH, but that has made doctors too conservative. Apparently people who were using thyroid for weight loss had spectacular osteoporosis and it really scared doctors. Even worse, the American Endocrinology Society promotes treatment with only T4 for almost everyone because of the steadier blood levels of hormone and some side effects of T3 treatment on heart. You have to fight tooth and nail to get onto T3 or natural thyroid, and to get enough to feel well. Maybe we are risking osteoporosis and heart disease, but I can't live my life hypothyroid to "save" my body for the future. That's insane!

I got good news yesterday too. My cholesterol has dropped 35 points since I started the 25 mcg of T3. Apparently my high-ish cholesterol was yet another symptom of hypothyroidsm and I needed some T3 to get down to normal cholesterol.

You should read what my doc gave me yesterday (written by Dr. John C. Lowe) about why docs ASSUME TSH-suppressant thyroid supplement doses cause osteoporosis and heart problems. The study on TSH-suppression and heart problems was done on elderly, bed-ridden patients (who were already heart challenged). There was no control study done on healthy heart patients to support the heart disease conclusion.

I would like to read that study about people using thyroid for weight loss and getting osteoporosis. So many irrational conclusions have been made from studies about thyroid treatment. Doctors tend to only read the 'headlines' of studies and not read all the information and make their own conclusions.

Fortunately I didn't have to fight my doc to get on T3. I merely asked her to do a free T3 test after I'd taken T4 supplement for months and still had hypo symptoms. My low free T3 results convinced her that I don't easily convert T3 to T4. I started at 5 mcg 2x daily. I now take between 25-30mcg daily to prevent hypo symptoms. However my 'doc' is a naturopath, not an endocrinologist. I've noticed that naturopaths tend to respect their patients' reported symptoms more than test results.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

You should read what my doc gave me yesterday (written by Dr. John C. Lowe) about why docs ASSUME TSH-suppressant thyroid supplement doses cause osteoporosis and heart problems. The study on TSH-suppression and heart problems was done on elderly, bed-ridden patients (who were already heart challenged). There was no control study done on healthy heart patients to support the heart disease conclusion.

I would like to read that study about people using thyroid for weight loss and getting osteoporosis. So many irrational conclusions have been made from studies about thyroid treatment. Doctors tend to only read the 'headlines' of studies and not read all the information and make their own conclusions.

Fortunately I didn't have to fight my doc to get on T3. I merely asked her to do a free T3 test after I'd taken T4 supplement for months and still had hypo symptoms. My low free T3 results convinced her that I don't easily convert T3 to T4. I started at 5 mcg 2x daily. I now take between 25-30mcg daily to prevent hypo symptoms. However my 'doc' is a naturopath, not an endocrinologist. I've noticed that naturopaths tend to respect their patients' reported symptoms more than test results.

Thank you for this information! I go to a functional medicine doctor for thyroid
treatment for the same reason. I go by my T3 and T4 levels, plus symptoms because if I go by my TSH alone, I end up anemic and pop with shingles. Endocrinologists who know what they are doing are few and far between.

Both my sisters have thyroid issues also BUT they see mainstream physicians who have refused to treat them for it because they "are not bad enough yet"! WTF?

I also have osteoporosis but assume it's because of my 25 years of undiagnosed Celiac and resultant malabsorption. I started weight training over a year ago and just went for my repeat bone density to see if things have improved. I cannot wait to get the results. I don't have any heart problems that I know of either and I have been supplementing like this for years.

This is all interesting stuff....

#18 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Osteoporosis articles are all over PubMed. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a bunch to read. The most interesting recent discovery is that TSH may have a direct affect on osteoblasts. It's clear and reasonably reproducible that extreme suppression of TSH to below 0.3 or 0.1 (depends on the study) causes osteoporosis. I haven't read as much on T3 and heart disease.

What doctors forget is that hypothyroidism also causes osteoporosis.

#19 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

My endo will go by how I feel also. I never knew about T3 meds until she put me on them! I was there last month and told her of my worsening symptoms. She upped my T3 to 25 mcg from 10 mcg without seeing my labs. However about 1 1/2 weeks into the increase I started having tachy issues and palpatations. I called to have it lowered. I'm now going to take 1/2 so it will be 12.5 mcg. I also take 112 mcg of T4. I go back in Dec. and I will see if she will play around with my doses of my meds some more. Other than the tachy symptoms I really felt great so it really sucked having to decrease. However, other things can overstimulate my heart also like sudafed and caffeine. I do feel that I need more T3 but need an appropriate decrease in the T4 at the same time. I also think because my iron and ferritin have dropped since June that is contributing to the fatigue. It technically is not deficient "yet" and I don't want it to be. I've went back and eliminated some more things and will start on iron again for awhile. I hear the same thing about keeping my TSH suppressed will cause osteoporosis by my gyn doc. I told him that I felt the endo was the right person to trust with that issue and that was that!

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#20 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

I had to divide my dose of T3 for a while or I noticed palpitations and a little tremor a couple hours after taking the pill. Like you, I dropped it to 12.5 but it wasn't enough. I found I could take the second half of the pill in the evening to get up to 25 mcg/day and avoid the side effects. The other thing you can do is look into having a compounding pharmacy make you a timed release T3.

I got a little more hypo lately and kept forgetting the evening dose but I've found I can tolerate the 25 mcg in the morning now. It's actually better to divide T3 because your blood levels are more stable, but only if you can remember to consistently take it at the same time twice a day.

#21 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:39 AM

I had to divide my dose of T3 for a while or I noticed palpitations and a little tremor a couple hours after taking the pill. Like you, I dropped it to 12.5 but it wasn't enough. I found I could take the second half of the pill in the evening to get up to 25 mcg/day and avoid the side effects. The other thing you can do is look into having a compounding pharmacy make you a timed release T3.

I got a little more hypo lately and kept forgetting the evening dose but I've found I can tolerate the 25 mcg in the morning now. It's actually better to divide T3 because your blood levels are more stable, but only if you can remember to consistently take it at the same time twice a day.

I originally was to take 5 mcg of T3 twice a day for that very reason. However, I was having a hard time remembering to take the second dose, so it wasn't being any benefit to me. That is why I started just taking both pills in the morning before breakfast with the T4. I work night shift on average 3 days one week and 4 the next. I have found that on the mornings I need to sleep I take my meds after I wake up around 3pm. I don't want to take them and try to fall asleep in the morning. On my mornings I don't have to sleep/nights off I take the meds in the morning so I'm not taking them too close to bed time at night. This could be an issues, but I don't know how else to manage taking it right now with my shedule. I really believe I need more T3 than T4. Other than the tach, I felt great! I am going to start the 12.5 mcg tommorow and see how it goes. I may try to add the other 12.5 mcg at a later date and see how that goes if I can come up with times to take it with my wierd schedule.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: