Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Symptoms Did You Not Even Realize Were Symptoms?

• Please log in to reply

28 replies to this topic

#1 smeej

smeej

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

I think I'm at the very beginning of this process, so I'm kind of trying to get a feel for where everyone else started out. I've felt subpar for quite awhile, but I don't know that I'd go all the way to calling most of the little annoyances "symptoms". I'm sitting on a bunch of "mild" diagnoses (narcolepsy without cataplexy, vertigo/Meniere's, IBS) and I'm wondering if I should really be so bold as to hope this could fix them all.

From what I understand, it's usually something like digestive problems (loose stools, bloating, stomach pains, reflux) that convinces a doctor to check for celiac/gluten intolerance (not sure I know the difference yet), but once someone stops eating gluten, a whole bunch of other things get better as well.

What other ways has your health improved that have surprised you or that you weren't expecting when you first eliminated gluten?
Not diagnosed yet. Running a four-week test started 09/20/11 to see if removing gluten helps me digest things. Lots of family members are sensitive to gluten, though, so it seems pretty likely.

Hardest thing for me is the Eucharist at Mass.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

The most surprising for me was my daughter's gag reflex going away. She is finally able to eat yogurt and mashed potatoes without throwing up:)

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

At the time I did not realize it but I strongly suspect that all my miscarriages were due to celiac disease. My tooth enamel is much stronger than six months ago (had dental appointment last week). My teeth are no longer sensitive at all. I also used to have ridges in my fingernails and they are now smooth so I am absorbing nutrients properly! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

My brain fog and low stamina went away. I knew nothing about celiac - except it was a "stomach thing". I attributed those symptoms to Hashis. My hands got steadier - had no idea gluten did that.

Ironically, I struggled with C a long time (again, assumed thyroid) and now I'm having a hard time determining normal potty routines because I have no frame of reference. life was C or D - no in between. I'm having a lot of in between, and quite frankly don't know what to do with it.

Also, my eyesight changed. Dint know if it's better or worse because I haven't been to the dr. yet - but it is different.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

You might find this list interesting: http://glutenfreewor.../symptom-guide/
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 smeej

smeej

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

Are there any medical conditions that aren't on that list? Whoa...
Not diagnosed yet. Running a four-week test started 09/20/11 to see if removing gluten helps me digest things. Lots of family members are sensitive to gluten, though, so it seems pretty likely.

Hardest thing for me is the Eucharist at Mass.

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

Bipolar illness and canker sores in my mouth were my surprises.

The list is so long because vitamin, mineral, and trace element deficiency can really mess people up!

#8 wubbie1212

wubbie1212

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

At the time I did not realize it but I strongly suspect that all my miscarriages were due to celiac disease. My tooth enamel is much stronger than six months ago (had dental appointment last week). My teeth are no longer sensitive at all. I also used to have ridges in my fingernails and they are now smooth so I am absorbing nutrients properly! :)

Never thought about the tooth enamel. I am soo new to this. I have very sensitive teeth. And the nails thing. Wow!!! Things just keep adding up.

#9 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:23 PM

The extreme mood changes before my period. My husband would comment that I was a whole different person and down right not fit to be around. In the past I wasn't like that. Since gluten free it is no longer an issue.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#10 UKGail

UKGail

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:55 AM

I had suffered from chronic pain in my neck and around the base of my skull since a car accident some 9 years ago. This pain vanished 24 hours after going gluten free and has not returned. A recent blood test had also shown post-menopausal levels of estrogen (the level was extremely low). My cycle restarted shortly after going gluten free. I also haven't had any migraines in the last month of being gluten free, which I had also not expected.

#11 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:56 AM

I was just happy to get rid of a constant D that even would wake me out of a sound sleep but was surprised when I stopped getting migraines, my off and on depression ended, I was eventually able to walk unaided, my kidney problems resolved and my arthritis that was so bad I couldn't hold a cup, pen or at times walk resolved, I became able to speak normally and remember things like the names of objects and strings of numbers, my skin rashes went away, my asthma and chronic broncitis went away along with most of my allergies and even after almost 9 years I never catch a cold or virus (knock wood). It amazes me even now how many systems can be impacted.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#12 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:16 AM

I learned how to spell diarrhea.

#13 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:10 AM

LOL true story !!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

....and dermatitis herpetiformis!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#15 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

Looking back now I think several things were clues: mono twice as a child, continual infections with acne as a teen, being able to peel off layers of my nails, repeated strep throat thru 20's and 30's, lifelong anemia, then came the migraine headaches, blurred and sometimes double vision, constantly tired thinking it was a light deprivation problem, stomach stuff that I couldn't pinpoint. All the while docs telling me it was age, and told there was nothing wrong, no tests ran. It wasn't til I landed in ER sicker than a dog that docs started realizing something was going on.

What was first thought of as parathyroidism has proved itself to be celiac. My blood calcium levels were above high without taking supplements before I went off glutens which is a good indicator that my parathyroids are messed up. Then low and behold, I went off glutens and my calcium levels dropped to borderline low levels which is absolutely amazing and pretty much summed up and more questions for the docs. That pretty much sealed my diagnosis, as if I were not Celiac and had gone on a gluten-free diet and had parathyroid disease my calcium would have continued to rise.

It's taken a long time as my system was a mess but I finally feel like I am getting my life back!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: