Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Tomato Sauces Gluten Free?

3 posts in this topic

I'm new to all this and am in the beginning stages of finding out whether I have this or not. Doc appt is scheduled soon.

Is Hunts' Tomato Sauce Gluten Free?? I want pasta really badly but can't find anything to make sure it is!

Ads by Google:

First, don't go gluten-free until you have had all your celiac testing done! This is really important! You must be eating a normal amount of gluten for the tests to work. Once you have had bloodwork and possibly had an endoscopy and biopsy, you can go off gluten.

To answer your original question, it's rather rare to find gluten in tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce. Hunt's brand is made by ConAgra. ConAgra has committed to declaring wheat, oats, barley, or rye on the ingredient labels, even if they appear in "natural flavors". If you don't see the words wheat, oat, barley, or rye on the can of tomato sauce it is safe. (Oats don't have gluten naturally but they often have wheat commingled in the field, plus some celiacs are sensitive to them.)

ConAgra, General Mills, Kraft, Unilever, Sara Lee and other major brands have committed to declaring gluten. Here is a page with some well-researched info.

http://glutenfreeinsd.com/manufacturers_statements.html

Read the whole label on the sauces. Some that have 'meat' flavoring will list wheat in them or have it in the allergen statement but most are gluten free. As previous poster stated do not go gluten free until all your testing is done. Then no matter what the results give the diet a strict try as false negatives are not uncommon.