20 replies to this topic

#16 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

This post hits me right in the heart. I recently hooked up with a first cousin on a social networking site. It's been 30 years since I've seen her. I told her about my gluten sensitivity and she responded that it's great that I can deal with a disease by what I eat.

She asked if I'd heard that she has pancreatic cancer and is on chemotherapy. She's a single mom and has a 20 year old son that is severely mentally retarded. Wow. I am so not into feeling sorry for myself.

I never look at the threads that ask what you miss most.

On the good side, I have learned to challenge doctors. I know more about celiac disease than a majority of them do, via this forum and a subscription to "Living Without". We're saving money from not eating out. And we're eating better by eating whole foods vs. processed. Meals are more about what we're eating vs. cooking up something quick to eat while we're watching tv, so we're having more meaningful conversations. And both of us are learning to cook things we never cooked before. Figuring it out saved my life and quality of life.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

This post hits me right in the heart. I recently hooked up with a first cousin on a social networking site. It's been 30 years since I've seen her. I told her about my gluten sensitivity and she responded that it's great that I can deal with a disease by what I eat.

She asked if I'd heard that she has pancreatic cancer and is on chemotherapy. She's a single mom and has a 20 year old son that is severely mentally retarded. Wow. I am so not into feeling sorry for myself.

I never look at the threads that ask what you miss most.

my husband has several life- long disabilities... I sooo hear what you're saying!!!!

on a lighter note, one thing I like about being gluten- free is that I get the whole box of KinniToos or KinniKritters!! And any larabars or Kind bars we buy are mine, too!! :)
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#18 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:03 PM

I guess I know now to 'trust my instincts' for years I had Drs basically treating me like a hypochondriac- now all those bizarre symptoms make sense and I know I'm not crazy!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#19 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

It has helped me appreciate every day we are given and to accept what I cannot change.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#20 melikamaui

melikamaui

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

Love this post!

Being celiac has given me a great many things. Good health first of all. After being sick for so many years, realizing that a diet change can make me feel good again is amazing. I also am very thankful for the early diagnosis for both of my children. They will never have to suffer like I did. And on a vain note, I've lost 30 pounds! I went from a size 12 to a size 2. I finally feel like ME again. My entire family eats SO much healthier now. I consider celiac disease a blessing in disguise. :D

#21 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Oh my. Where to start?

I am learning to cook, which is saving me money as well as my health. No more junk food for this girl!

I feel better, I sleep better, I have more energy.

And I understand what my Mom went through! For years and years, my poor mother was plagued with health problems. Not only did her doctor think it was all in her head, but, I am ashamed to say, so did I. It seemed that every day my Mom had a DIFFERENT complaint. One day she had a sick stomach, the next day it would be a headache, the day after that it was a backache. I was convinced she was making it all up for attention. I even told my Dad once, that I thought Mom was a hypochondriac. To my Dad's credit, he told me I was wrong, and that I should have more respect for her.

Even after she was diagnosed back in the mid-eighties, I didn't believe her "other" symptoms were real. I knew she would have digestive symptoms, but I thought the headaches, joint pain, and all the rest were fake.

Now of course, it's too late to apologize to her. :(

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: