Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Itching But No Rash

10 posts in this topic

I know DH is one of the horrible and prevalent symptoms of gluten allergy/celiac. But I'm wondering if anyone has experienced itching (pretty much all over) but without a rash as a symptom. I had it mostly on my side, back (occassionally) my foot and down there.....

Ads by Google:

DH would be evident with a rash. All over itchiness could be a symptom of other allergies, or a neurological reaction to gluten.

DH would be evident with a rash. All over itchiness could be a symptom of other allergies, or a neurological reaction to gluten.

Thank you Reba. I wasn't thinking I had DH since I don't have any type of rash. I just have an itchiness and I have yet to pinpoint what it's related to and was hoping others could shed some light on it. I haven't been gluten free for that long so it's hard to tell if its going to go away with that change.

Hi

I find I itch & my skin feels a burning sensation for about 2-5 days before my DH rash comes out! Try riotous tea as a soak I find it soothes the inflammation/burning & itching.

Wish you better

Xx

Sorry that was supposed to read Roobios tea!! X

I know someone else posted about this in the last week or so...try a search and see if you can find it. I don't think it was the title, but in the responses.

I know, not a lot to go on.

For me, once I went gluten free, the no-rash itching was a sign of an additional intolerance -- in my case it was was soy. I discovered lots of other things that caused rashes and itching and it was a while before I sorted them all out :blink:

I know DH is one of the horrible and prevalent symptoms of gluten allergy/celiac. But I'm wondering if anyone has experienced itching (pretty much all over) but without a rash as a symptom. I had it mostly on my side, back (occassionally) my foot and down there.....

I have trouble with my liver function and when my bilirubins are high I have an EXTREME itch all over my body with out a rash.(Especially down there.. Before the doc's realized it was my liver function I kept getting tested for a bladder infection and they were always negative )

Just to note I also have DH , this is different

I had a crazy itch with a mostly a non-DH rash for over a year. Some of the locations, my thighs and stomach, would itch with no rash. A rash would develop after I itched. It started at the same time I went gluten free. 3 rounds of antibiotics (Doryx twice - that seemed the best) pretty much cured it. (My face is still very sensitive so I am using a cortisone cream as needed.) During that time I tried eliminating every food I could think of with no affect on my skin. So I've concluded that I must have either had an infection or been purging toxins. I've eliminated gluten, minimize dairy (milk in tea, occasional yoghurt) and foods which aggravate acidity.

You have my sympathies, I had no idea a rash could be so maddening until what I went through. I hope it goes away soon.

I had serious itching issues --drove me mad :blink: --and RED & burning skin (like a sunburn --my skin felt like it was on fire!) and red "wet" sores on my scalp before I was Dxed. I even had a red, raised "butterfly" rash on my face--which was suspected as lupus, but it was not, thank God. My itching/sores are NOT DH, I am sure --and it all resolved about 4-5 months after I was gluten-free.

One thing that I found would bring those red sores and itching back was (1) accidental gluten ingestion and (2) the shampoo I was using---before I became an expert label reader, I failed to notice "hydrolyzed wheat protein" in my shampoo and hair spray. :rolleyes:

Thanks to the people on here, I found the culprit pretty early on and now, about 9 months gluten-free, no more itching. It is maddening and uncomfortable and I hope it resolves soon for you!

Check labels and hang in there ;) --best wishes!!