Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

P.f. Chang's

21 posts in this topic

Has anyone eaten at PF Chang's? How was the Gluten Free Service? Were there any effects from eating there? Which dishes would you reccommend?

Wenmin

Ads by Google:

check out this thread from just a few months ago that was aobut them:

I have had great luck eating there. I have eaten at 3 different ones around the country. One thing I noticed, even the bus boy & the hostess has heard of gluten free. Sure, mistakes can be made. But PF Changs has put into place corporate policies that really minimize the mistakes. This appears to be a well run company. They check-up on the resturaunts and are very picky about procedures.

I went to the one in SLC and she brought the whole bottle of tamari for me rather than a little red bowl of tamari. She said that the local customers want to see the bottle, so that's what they do.

Pick a time when it isn't busy like 10:30 am or 2:30 pm and call or walk in and ask about the policies if you would feel better.

Its the one place I feel safe eating in, even when its busy.

Gluten free lettuce wraps and the gluten-free Singapore street noodles are my favorites!

We love the Gluten Free menu at PFChangs! We have eaten at PFChangs at several locations throughout different states. It is out go-to resturant if we are traveling (because my daughter and I are very sensitive to cross contamination) and I don't want to be sick when traveling! We enjoy the entire gluten free menu. Everything from the lettuce wraps, to egg drop soup, to ginger chicken, singapore noodles and more! And the chocolate dome! Yum! They have a mini triple chocolate mousse desert also. Enjoy!!

Getting ready to go there now. Never had a problem, and I've been to many locations in different states. My only quibble is that the last I checked, they had discontinued my favorite--Phillips Better Lemon Chicken......

Good experiences. I've eaten at one in Chicago and one in Knoxville, TN and both were really good. I had Mongolian beef. The lemon chicken is also very good. However, I don't get sick if I get glutened, so I can't really be of help for that.

I am super sensitive and I have eaten at several different P.F. Chang's around the country (Boston, Chicago, Cleveland) without getting sick. Enjoy!

i got glutened there once.... i still havent talked to the manager yet- but i will... because i want to continue eating there- its SO YUM... ive even gotten take out since the glutening and was fine.. it was a busy sunday- so maybe someone made a mistake, but normally they're very aware and helpful and delish!!! i agree- the Singapore Street Noodles are A-Mazing.. and the lettuce wraps, and the fried rice!!!

I eat there often: Anaheim, Long Beach and San Diego...no problems. I also eat at Pei Wei, which is their take-out chain...so good. I eat there at least once a week in Newport Beach or Seal Beacg and never have had a problem. Other locations of Pei Wei are not as trust worthy, I have found.

Just got back from dinner--had a lot of wine so hopefully this will make sense but I asked the waitress if they could make me the Phillips Chicken since it's not on the menu anymore, and she said they could! In fact they get lots of requests for it. :D

Finished it off with a chocolate dome and more wine--love Changs. :rolleyes:

I've eaten there twice and thought they were great. I love getting my meals on a separate plate - I know that way that they are correct.

It's not chinese food like I used to be able to eat (from small family run places here in Sydney) but better than no chinese food at all :-)

I always get the street noodles - yummy! I don't remember seeing Phillips Better Lemon Chicken. Can you describe that dish pls?

Getting ready to go there now. Never had a problem, and I've been to many locations in different states. My only quibble is that the last I checked, they had discontinued my favorite--Phillips Better Lemon Chicken......

Patti - Phillips Lemon Chicken is my daughters favorite. Our local PFChangs will still make it for her. You might ask if yours will too. I was sad they took some dishes off the gluten free menu. I hope they bring more of them back. We were there just a few weeks ago, and they still made the lemon chicken! Good luck!

I always get the street noodles - yummy! I don't remember seeing Phillips Better Lemon Chicken. Can you describe that dish pls?

It's chunks of chicken breast dredged in cornstarch and fried in the wok. They serve it in a thick, tangy lemon sauce with actual pieces of lemon in it. Really good!

Patti - Phillips Lemon Chicken is my daughters favorite. Our local PFChangs will still make it for her. You might ask if yours will too. I was sad they took some dishes off the gluten free menu. I hope they bring more of them back. We were there just a few weeks ago, and they still made the lemon chicken! Good luck!

Thanks! I did just that and it was delicious. I thought about trying the gluten-free Moo Goo Gi Pan if it didn't work out.....we also had the gluten-free lettuce wraps--yum :D

Here's are favorites:

Oldest, J will only eat the pepper beef. He doesn't share well, either!

Hub & M like everything but prefer the Spicy Chicken and the Dali Chicken (very spicy). Or M likes to get the chicken fried rice. I love the egg drop soup & the snap peas & the lettuce wraps & the desserts. Really, we ave liked everything. I don't see the Dali chicken on the on line menu, so maybe they have changed it?

for whoever asked about the PF Chang's gluten-free menu:

The Lemon Chicken was like the Spicy Chicken, only very intensely lemony. It is chicken chunks that are coated in a gluten-free flour and fried, then topped off with a sweet/tangy sauce. The Spicy Chicken is their gluten free version of General Tsao's, which is chicken chunks with the same treatment and topped off with a Gen. Tsao type intensely sweet/sour/red pepper spicy sauce.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the spicy chicken and the beef with broccoli . . . and the chocolate dome :wub:

A word of caution though . . . first time we ate there, my daughter was feeling miserable and we were concerned it was a reaction but upon review and lack of developing symptoms, we decided that she TOTALLY over did it. We now get the chocolate dome to go so she can have it later.

Also, for those with kids . . . you can ask for those chicken dishes with the sauce "on the side" and the kids think they are just eating chicken nuggets and rice. We go ahead and get the sauce because my daughter is only eating about half the dish and then my husband and/or I have the remaining. We have not tried it, but you may be able to get gluten free chicken (no sauce) in a kid-sized serving and pay the kid's menu price. Something that I think I will look into.

I have often thought that some gluten free clients indulge in the sauce mixture that they combine at the table. I have never, because I always assumed that it was gluten soy sauce they used.

I ask specifically for gluten-free Soy and they are always happy to bring it. Just love Changs :D It's a treat because we have to drive 1 1/2 hours to enjoy.

They mix the gluten-free soy sauce and leave out one of the mix in things. We do the whole table gluten-free and share, so it makes that easier. I always ask because I never remember which one is wrong. I rarely use the soy sauce.

The first time I went, we had a coupon for free gluten-free lettuce wraps. 2 of us had the lettuce wraps, 2 main dishes ( I was sooo happy I ate my full share) then dessert, pluss 2 glasses of wine. I felt horrible after but it was too much food awful! And it's very salty so you wake up for a drink. Now I like to take my 15 year old because he eats a lot! I can have some of everything without over eating and few bites of dessert.

I ate at the one in Miami and was sooo impressed with the staff and manager. I would recommend the lettuce chicken wraps, the fried rice with chicken and beef and also the mongolian beef. YUM! I actually wrote to the company to see if they would be coming out with a gluten free line for their frozen groceries meals and they said they've had a lot of requests and will consider it if they continue to get more so write to the company!