20 replies to this topic

#1 Wenmin

Wenmin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

Has anyone eaten at PF Chang's? How was the Gluten Free Service? Were there any effects from eating there? Which dishes would you reccommend?

Wenmin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:13 PM

check out this thread from just a few months ago that was aobut them: http://www.celiac.co...__1#entry718539
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#3 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,696 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:31 PM

I have had great luck eating there. I have eaten at 3 different ones around the country. One thing I noticed, even the bus boy & the hostess has heard of gluten free. Sure, mistakes can be made. But PF Changs has put into place corporate policies that really minimize the mistakes. This appears to be a well run company. They check-up on the resturaunts and are very picky about procedures.

I went to the one in SLC and she brought the whole bottle of tamari for me rather than a little red bowl of tamari. She said that the local customers want to see the bottle, so that's what they do.

Pick a time when it isn't busy like 10:30 am or 2:30 pm and call or walk in and ask about the policies if you would feel better.

Its the one place I feel safe eating in, even when its busy.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

Someone told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.

fantasy-unicorn-15.gif

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Gluten free lettuce wraps and the gluten-free Singapore street noodles are my favorites!

#5 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

We love the Gluten Free menu at PFChangs! We have eaten at PFChangs at several locations throughout different states. It is out go-to resturant if we are traveling (because my daughter and I are very sensitive to cross contamination) and I don't want to be sick when traveling! We enjoy the entire gluten free menu. Everything from the lettuce wraps, to egg drop soup, to ginger chicken, singapore noodles and more! And the chocolate dome! Yum! They have a mini triple chocolate mousse desert also. Enjoy!!

#6 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:34 PM

Getting ready to go there now. Never had a problem, and I've been to many locations in different states. My only quibble is that the last I checked, they had discontinued my favorite--Phillips Better Lemon Chicken......
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#7 Coolclimates

Coolclimates

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Good experiences. I've eaten at one in Chicago and one in Knoxville, TN and both were really good. I had Mongolian beef. The lemon chicken is also very good. However, I don't get sick if I get glutened, so I can't really be of help for that.

#8 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

I am super sensitive and I have eaten at several different P.F. Chang's around the country (Boston, Chicago, Cleveland) without getting sick. Enjoy!

#9 cassP

cassP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

i got glutened there once.... i still havent talked to the manager yet- but i will... because i want to continue eating there- its SO YUM... ive even gotten take out since the glutening and was fine.. it was a busy sunday- so maybe someone made a mistake, but normally they're very aware and helpful and delish!!! i agree- the Singapore Street Noodles are A-Mazing.. and the lettuce wraps, and the fried rice!!!
1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens
2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.
no biopsy (insurance denied)
6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:
HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302
HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302
HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)
7/2010- 100% Gluten Free
8/2010- DH
10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

#10 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

I eat there often: Anaheim, Long Beach and San Diego...no problems. I also eat at Pei Wei, which is their take-out chain...so good. I eat there at least once a week in Newport Beach or Seal Beacg and never have had a problem. Other locations of Pei Wei are not as trust worthy, I have found.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

Just got back from dinner--had a lot of wine so hopefully this will make sense but I asked the waitress if they could make me the Phillips Chicken since it's not on the menu anymore, and she said they could! In fact they get lots of requests for it. :D

Finished it off with a chocolate dome and more wine--love Changs. :rolleyes:
Patti

#12 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:26 AM

I've eaten there twice and thought they were great. I love getting my meals on a separate plate - I know that way that they are correct.

It's not chinese food like I used to be able to eat (from small family run places here in Sydney) but better than no chinese food at all :-)

#13 anastasia1230

anastasia1230

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:42 AM

I always get the street noodles - yummy! I don't remember seeing Phillips Better Lemon Chicken. Can you describe that dish pls?

#14 Darissa

Darissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

Getting ready to go there now. Never had a problem, and I've been to many locations in different states. My only quibble is that the last I checked, they had discontinued my favorite--Phillips Better Lemon Chicken......

Patti - Phillips Lemon Chicken is my daughters favorite. Our local PFChangs will still make it for her. You might ask if yours will too. I was sad they took some dishes off the gluten free menu. I hope they bring more of them back. We were there just a few weeks ago, and they still made the lemon chicken! Good luck!

#15 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:30 AM

I always get the street noodles - yummy! I don't remember seeing Phillips Better Lemon Chicken. Can you describe that dish pls?

It's chunks of chicken breast dredged in cornstarch and fried in the wok. They serve it in a thick, tangy lemon sauce with actual pieces of lemon in it. Really good!

Patti - Phillips Lemon Chicken is my daughters favorite. Our local PFChangs will still make it for her. You might ask if yours will too. I was sad they took some dishes off the gluten free menu. I hope they bring more of them back. We were there just a few weeks ago, and they still made the lemon chicken! Good luck!

Thanks! I did just that and it was delicious. I thought about trying the gluten-free Moo Goo Gi Pan if it didn't work out.....we also had the gluten-free lettuce wraps--yum :D
Patti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: