Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Safest Buckwheat Groats (Whole Buckwheat)

5 posts in this topic

Greetings! I'm new here. My husband (who has celiac disease) has become extremely sensitive to cross-contamination. After a bad experience with Bob's Red Mill buckwheat (we found **whole grains of wheat** in a package labeled gluten-free!) he is afraid to eat buckwheat. But we both really miss the yummy breads, pancakes, etc we used to make with it. Can anyone recommend other brands of whole buckwheat that you've found more reliable? Thanks!

Ads by Google:

I have not yet tried it, but Wolff's brand whole buckwheat groats has been recommended to me by multiple people. It's on my list of foods to try out soon. :-)

I believe this is the particular size/type that people have recommended.

http://thebirkettmills.com/shop/groats/wolffs-whole-buckwheat-groats

DilettanteSteph, is this the right one? I thought I recalled you were eating this safely, yes?

EDIT: oh, and jeesh, I almost forgot. Welcome to the forums!

That buckwheat is one of the few processed things I can eat. I go through it and I've never found wheat in it yet. I have found what seemed to be lentils and sorghum, though. It's the only "grain" I am eating at present.

Thanks! We'll try it. So I guess we're not the only ones who've had trouble with Bob's? They didn't even reply when we wrote to complain and sent them the actual grains of wheat...

So I guess we're not the only ones who've had trouble with Bob's?

Two in my family do seem to have trouble with BRM. But to be fair, we tend to have trouble with most processed flour mixes, too.