7 replies to this topic

#1 Katrala

Katrala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

I recently stumbled across information regarding "Gluten Defense" pills (and other similar pills) and my first thought was that if I did a Google search regarding them, I'd find plenty of information saying the whole thing was a scam of sorts.

I have several questions regarding these pills. Some background information, first: I have celiac and my symptoms from gluten still aren't completely predictable. Occasional brain fog, tinging, sometimes GI symptoms. While I sometimes feel a few symptoms (none that would cause me to miss work, for example, but I'm also one of those "I need to be on my death bed before I call in sick" people,) I do think my symptoms are more long-term (I lost excessive weight, felt bad, etc. before diagnosis.)

So..

1. Would these pills help a Celiac with non-GI symptoms (neuro symptoms, etc?) I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT thinking of this as a "go eat what you want or even in questionable restaurants" magic pill. I'm thinking, "What if I go to PF Chang's (the one here locally does a great job with gluten-free) and order off their gluten-free menu and take all precautions, but somewhere along the way the server, cook, etc. accidentally contaminates something?" Would the pills help then?

2. I know the pills help with digestion of gluten, but with the case of Celiac (not referring to any other type of gluten-sensitivity,) has any research been done to prove or disprove if the pills help control the damage that is done by accidental (again, taking precautions beforehand) CC?

Thanks in advance for any information!
Positive Celiac (Blood & Biopsy) - April 2011
Peanut Allergy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

Two words: snake oil.

There are NO treatments for preventing a gluten reaction except avoiding gluten.

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#3 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:07 PM

Although, there's some possibility that they might help with tiny amounts of CC, but only if you took them before you ate. After the fact won't help at all.

If you decide to try them as a preventative measure, please report back and tell us your experiences.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#4 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

Although, there's some possibility that they might help with tiny amounts of CC, but only if you took them before you ate. After the fact won't help at all.

If you decide to try them as a preventative measure, please report back and tell us your experiences.

Jesjar, Where can one get these Magic Pills???
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#5 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:53 PM

I just checked out these pills on the Enzymatic Therapy website (they are the manufacturer of "Gluten Defense"). The enzymes in these pills appear to be pancreatic enzymes. As long as one has a healthy pancreas, their own body makes all of these enzymes to start with. None of the enzymes in this pill specifically target gluten or gliadin, just proteins in general.

#6 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

Jesjar, Where can one get these Magic Pills???

I think one brand name is 'glutenease' but I'm not sure. I've never tried them and I'm dubious of their efficacy, but if any one on the board does decide to shell out a few bucks and test them, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

I just checked out these pills on the Enzymatic Therapy website (they are the manufacturer of "Gluten Defense"). The enzymes in these pills appear to be pancreatic enzymes. As long as one has a healthy pancreas, their own body makes all of these enzymes to start with. None of the enzymes in this pill specifically target gluten or gliadin, just proteins in general.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

The enzyme in all the so-called gluten pills is DPP-IV. It is NOT one of the enzymes in clinical trials and it will not detoxify gluten. It does not cleave internal di-prolines, which are what cause problems digesting gluten in the first place. DPP-IV only works on prolines at the ends of peptides. These companies are lying, using the FDA dietary supplement loopholes.

Most of the pills are enzyme mixes. Celiacs tend to have reduced pancreatic activity, so a lot of people find the "gluten defense" style pills help them feel better after a meal. This leads them to believe the pills are breaking down gluten. They're not helping with the gluten at all. What they're doing is adding some enzymes and if your pancreas isn't working well, you feel a little better.

Anyone who finds these pills helpful can save money with a less expensive digestive enzyme supplement. Once you've been gluten-free for a while and healed, your pancreas should crank out enough enzymes that you can stop using them.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Skylark in Skylark's Blog, on 25 September 2011 - 11:32 PM

The enzyme in all the so-called gluten pills is DPP-IV.  It is NOT one of the enzymes in clinical trials and it will not detoxify gluten.  It does not cleave internal di-prolines, which are what cause problems digesting gluten in the first place. DPP-IV only works on prolines at the ends of peptides.  These companies are lying, using the FDA dietary...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: