20 replies to this topic

#1 misskris

misskris

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:36 PM

Hubby and I made tacos with the Low Sodium Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix and I got sick as a dog. (Pretty sure it was the seasoning b/c I tried eating just the meat again and sure enough - sick for a second day.) !!! I had checked their website and some reviews of the product and everyone said it was gluten free. Tho when I searched *this* site, someone warned against the mix and said to use the bottle sauce - but didn't give a reason. Is there something I was missing in the ingredients?
Here they are for reference:
Maltodextrin, chili pepper, salt, onion powder, spice, MSG, modified corn starch, garlic powder, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide & ethoxyquin

Ewww...MSG and partially hydrogenated anything. I hate reading ingredients. Anyway, I'm a little confused. Maybe it's the MSG? But I've never noticed a problem with anything else... By the way, we used the bottle sauce this past weekend and were fine. YAY! Hubby makes GREAT steak tacos!

We're going to stick with the bottle sauce from now on, but I'd still like to know what it was that made me sick! Any thoughts?
Kris

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:58 PM

We use the bottle of Old El Paso taco sauce. It works great and tastes great. MSG is so bad for your body. It could have been that.
I believe in God.

#3 scaredparent

scaredparent

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:19 PM

My son has celiac disease and I make him stay away from MSG and maltodextrin. I think there are mixed opinions on the maltodextrin but I was told to stay away from it. Good luck

#4 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:50 PM

My son has  celiac disease and I make him stay away from MSG and maltodextrin.  I think there are mixed opinions on the maltodextrin but I was told to stay away from it.  Good luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maltodextrin in the U.S is fine unless stated otherwise on food labels. This is a law they MUST follow. That is only with food however, medications are different but with food it IS safe and will tell you if it is not.

Could have been MSG. Even though MSG is gluten free it is so bad for your body.Maybe there is some at a health food store to get without those ingredients.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#5 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:38 PM

I just had that tonight too! And I just had horrible diarhhea. Weird. <_<

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:09 AM

Alot of ppl have celiac disease like reactsions to MSG, so thats where I would put the blame. MSG is bad for everyone, but some ppl react and some ppl dont seem to. I have always avoided it, long before I ever heard of celiac disease.

- Vincent -

#7 uclangel422

uclangel422

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:14 PM

I react to that seasoning mix and have concluded that it was the MSG too.

It is hard to avoid this especially if you want to eat packaged food but it sure makes a difference. I first found out about it when i was 10 years old and ate a Hot Pocket every day after school for a week and went to bed everyday at around 6pm with a migraine.

Does anyone know if all packaged mixes contain MSG?

#8 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:51 PM

I've had the Old El Paso Taco Seasoning with no troubles and I am super ultra sensitive to gluten <_< .

You may have reacted to the MSG.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:08 PM

We use the regular (not low sodium) version regularly. I read the ingredients and it does not have MSG, which many people react to, nor does it have ethoxyquin, which is a chemical preservative. I'm in Canada, so the formula might be different here.

Old El Paso is on my list of "trusted" brands who will not hide gluten, so if you do not see Wheat, Rye, Oats or Barley mentioned, using that specific word, in the ingredients then the product is gluten-free.

My guess is the MSG, FWIW.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Sherri28

Sherri28

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

Hubby and I made tacos with the Low Sodium Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix and I got sick as a dog. (Pretty sure it was the seasoning b/c I tried eating just the meat again and sure enough - sick for a second day.) !!! I had checked their website and some reviews of the product and everyone said it was gluten free. Tho when I searched *this* site, someone warned against the mix and said to use the bottle sauce - but didn't give a reason. Is there something I was missing in the ingredients?
Here they are for reference:
Maltodextrin, chili pepper, salt, onion powder, spice, MSG, modified corn starch, garlic powder, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide & ethoxyquin

Ewww...MSG and partially hydrogenated anything. I hate reading ingredients. Anyway, I'm a little confused. Maybe it's the MSG? But I've never noticed a problem with anything else... By the way, we used the bottle sauce this past weekend and were fine. YAY! Hubby makes GREAT steak tacos!

We're going to stick with the bottle sauce from now on, but I'd still like to know what it was that made me sick! Any thoughts?

I have bben looking for a good taco seasoning too. Those ingredients you listed made me think it was the maltodextrin or the MSG that made you sick. Anything with MSG I think is not safe for Celiacs but I'm not 100% on that. I am knew at this diet and it's not fun. Good luck!

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

I have bben looking for a good taco seasoning too. Those ingredients you listed made me think it was the maltodextrin or the MSG that made you sick. Anything with MSG I think is not safe for Celiacs but I'm not 100% on that. I am knew at this diet and it's not fun. Good luck!

MSG is controversial, but is definitely gluten-free. It is not an issue with respect to celiac disease. Maltodextrin is also gluten-free.

Please note that this topic is more than four years old, so some information may be out of date.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 Redbirdgirl88

Redbirdgirl88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

We use the regular (not low sodium) version regularly. I read the ingredients and it does not have MSG, which many people react to, nor does it have ethoxyquin, which is a chemical preservative. I'm in Canada, so the formula might be different here.

Old El Paso is on my list of "trusted" brands who will not hide gluten, so if you do not see Wheat, Rye, Oats or Barley mentioned, using that specific word, in the ingredients then the product is gluten-free.

My guess is the MSG, FWIW.

I'm in canada as well, don't see any msg in it either..i'm having it tonight and dont see anything that might make me sick, well see i guess. Could be different in the states ingredients..

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:07 AM

Maybe I'm just adding on to the problem by commenting, but we really need people to not resurrect really, really old threads.

richard

#14 superbeansprout

superbeansprout

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

Maybe I'm just adding on to the problem by commenting, but we really need people to not resurrect really, really old threads.

richard

I think that sometimes bringing up old issues is actually useful, since ingredients change all the time, and something may have changed in the formulation of certain products that people are researching. I myself, just came across this because my boyfriend bought this seasoning mix and I didn't know if i could have it. have always steared clear because of uncertainty.
Maybe there's a way to weed out the old incorrect posts that may confuse people? like the ones that say MSG is not ok for Celiacs and maltodextrin...since we now know they are gluten free (but maybe just not "good" for anyone) :) just a thought. Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm really glad someone posted, because otherwise I'd be not having tacos tonight, and who wants that???

:P

superbeansprout
Boston, MA
Celiac since February 2007

#15 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

Could the difference be the "lite" form? I use the regular with no problems and MSG is not listed on the pkg. Maybe the MSG is to make up for whatever they leave out of the "lite."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: