6 replies to this topic

#1 kristine1973

kristine1973

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:08 PM

Anyone else up almost everynight not able to sleep for hours at a time? Will get up at midnight and have some gluten-free oatmeal and a peach. Then still can't sleep. I am tired. But sleep eludes me...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

How long have you been gluten free? And did this start AFTER you started the diet?

My insomnia was unbearable before the diet. Much like yours, I would usually go to bed between nine and ten, but by midnight I was so wide awake there was no point in lying there, so I'd get up and start my day. If I was lucky, around dawn I could go take a short nap, but often I couldn't get back to sleep even then.

You might just be going through gluten withdrawal. Give it a couple more weeks. If it doesn't clear up by then, I would start looking for hidden gluten that might be sneaking into your diet - or posiibly other food intolerances that can cause similar symptoms.

I sleep like a baby for eight hours straight almost every night since I gave up gluten and corn. I hope yours improves soon too.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

Definitely. My insomnia has been raging for many years and has become severe the last four (lots has to do with constant chronic pain and trying desperately to find a position in which to sleep). Last night I was up about eight times to walk around. Have been strictly gluten free for six months with zero improvement with insomnia. Those who can sleep are incredibly blessed.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

I find it very hard to fall asleep and constantly wake up. I've been off of gluten for over a year, so I'm not sure if it's some other food or if I'm just a light sleeper.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#5 RL2011

RL2011

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

I have not slept consistently well any time throughout my life. I have learned to not let it bother me or slow m down. Probably the wrong way to handle my poor sleep habits but that is the way it is. I have found that most foods interfere with my getting to sleep so I try not to eat anything for 2 to 3 hours or longer before bedtime.

Not sure if my sleep issues are celiac disease related or if I am just wacky.
Richard

#6 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:58 PM

You may be deficient in calcium? That effects sleep, as does being low on B6. Suppliment! ;)
Try a gluten-free melatonin suppliment an hour before bedtime. It has helped me a lot!

I also had the habit of using a high intensity lamp for doing needlework or reading in the evening. I found it best to turn it off and have the room darker for about an hour before bedtime. It tells my brain to settle down.
Be sure you're not drinking/eating anything with caffeine after 3:00pm. It could interfere with sleeping too.

Going without sleep is miserable! I hope you can sort out your cause.

#7 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

You may be deficient in calcium? That effects sleep, as does being low on B6. Suppliment! ;)
Try a gluten-free melatonin suppliment an hour before bedtime. It has helped me a lot!

I also had the habit of using a high intensity lamp for doing needlework or reading in the evening. I found it best to turn it off and have the room darker for about an hour before bedtime. It tells my brain to settle down.
Be sure you're not drinking/eating anything with caffeine after 3:00pm. It could interfere with sleeping too.

Going without sleep is miserable! I hope you can sort out your cause.

Good advice I'll try that too! :D
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: