Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

No Sleep?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Anyone else up almost everynight not able to sleep for hours at a time? Will get up at midnight and have some gluten-free oatmeal and a peach. Then still can't sleep. I am tired. But sleep eludes me...

Ads by Google:

How long have you been gluten free? And did this start AFTER you started the diet?

My insomnia was unbearable before the diet. Much like yours, I would usually go to bed between nine and ten, but by midnight I was so wide awake there was no point in lying there, so I'd get up and start my day. If I was lucky, around dawn I could go take a short nap, but often I couldn't get back to sleep even then.

You might just be going through gluten withdrawal. Give it a couple more weeks. If it doesn't clear up by then, I would start looking for hidden gluten that might be sneaking into your diet - or posiibly other food intolerances that can cause similar symptoms.

I sleep like a baby for eight hours straight almost every night since I gave up gluten and corn. I hope yours improves soon too.

Definitely. My insomnia has been raging for many years and has become severe the last four (lots has to do with constant chronic pain and trying desperately to find a position in which to sleep). Last night I was up about eight times to walk around. Have been strictly gluten free for six months with zero improvement with insomnia. Those who can sleep are incredibly blessed.

I find it very hard to fall asleep and constantly wake up. I've been off of gluten for over a year, so I'm not sure if it's some other food or if I'm just a light sleeper.

I have not slept consistently well any time throughout my life. I have learned to not let it bother me or slow m down. Probably the wrong way to handle my poor sleep habits but that is the way it is. I have found that most foods interfere with my getting to sleep so I try not to eat anything for 2 to 3 hours or longer before bedtime.

Not sure if my sleep issues are celiac disease related or if I am just wacky.

You may be deficient in calcium? That effects sleep, as does being low on B6. Suppliment! ;)

Try a gluten-free melatonin suppliment an hour before bedtime. It has helped me a lot!

I also had the habit of using a high intensity lamp for doing needlework or reading in the evening. I found it best to turn it off and have the room darker for about an hour before bedtime. It tells my brain to settle down.

Be sure you're not drinking/eating anything with caffeine after 3:00pm. It could interfere with sleeping too.

Going without sleep is miserable! I hope you can sort out your cause.

You may be deficient in calcium? That effects sleep, as does being low on B6. Suppliment! ;)

Try a gluten-free melatonin suppliment an hour before bedtime. It has helped me a lot!

I also had the habit of using a high intensity lamp for doing needlework or reading in the evening. I found it best to turn it off and have the room darker for about an hour before bedtime. It tells my brain to settle down.

Be sure you're not drinking/eating anything with caffeine after 3:00pm. It could interfere with sleeping too.

Going without sleep is miserable! I hope you can sort out your cause.

Good advice I'll try that too! :D

I've been gluten free since May, 2015.  I slept very well until my adrenal supplements ran out (I was on a ton of supplements per my holistic nutritionist until I started having sensitivities to everything.  Then weaned myself off all but a few).  When I tried to start taking the adrenal supplement again, I had developed a sensitivity and couldn't take it any longer.  I made me very wakeful and felt like I was buzzing in my head and the core of my body.  I haven't slept well since sometime in September.  I don't know what's wrong, but it's awful.  I have an appt with an internist tomorrow and hopefully he can help me.

Have you taken tryptophan?  It helps me sleep. Just curious if that's one of the supplements your nutritionist recommended.

I haven't tried tryptophan.  I had a bad reaction to melatonin and it kept me awake so I haven't tried anything else.  I'm going to see what the internist says tomorrow and go from there.  But I may try it.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I"m no longer going to the nutritionist since I believe he's the one that caused a lot of this problem and when I tried to talk to him about it, he wasn't responsive.  He'd become a bit arrogant and seemed to think he didn't have to listen to me.

Some things that may help improve your sleep...

- No coffee or caffeine after 10am. 

- Magnesium oil applied to your skin before bed really helps relax your muscles!  I use it religiously.

- Epsom salt baths before bed

- Drinking a cup or two Chamomile/bedtime tea

- Rubbing coconut oil with a few drops of lavendar essential oil on your feet before bed

Any combination of these things really helps me get high-quality sleep.   :)

12 hours ago, kellibee said:

Some things that may help improve your sleep...

- No coffee or caffeine after 10am. 

- Magnesium oil applied to your skin before bed really helps relax your muscles!  I use it religiously.

- Epsom salt baths before bed

- Drinking a cup or two Chamomile/bedtime tea

- Rubbing coconut oil with a few drops of lavendar essential oil on your feet before bed

Any combination of these things really helps me get high-quality sleep.   :)

I don't do caffeine after morning.  I'm not sure about magnesium oil, I have so many sensitivities and magnesium capsules are one of them.  Likewise epsom salts.  I do drink Sleepytime, Tulsi Sleep or camomile tea and I diffuse lavendar oil and put it on my pillow which hasnt' done much.  Frankincense seems to be better.  I've also done guided imagery and all the "sleep hygiene" things.  When I'm reacting to something all of these things don't even make a dent.  I still feel like something in my core is vibrating and it makes it impossible to sleep.  The simple "hints" don't really touch it, thus the doctor's appt today to see if he can help me.

1 minute ago, cashs mom said:

I don't do caffeine after morning.  I'm not sure about magnesium oil, I have so many sensitivities and magnesium capsules are one of them likewise epsom salts.  I do drink Sleepytime, Tulsi Sleep or camomile tea and I'm diffuse lavendar oil and put it on my pillow which hasnt' done much.  Frankinsense seems to be better.  I've also done guided imagery and all the "sleep hygiene" things.  When I'm reacting to something all of these things don't even make a dent.  I still feel like something in my core is vibrating and it makes it impossible to sleep.  The simple "hints" don't really touch it, thus the doctor's appt today to see if he can help me.

Hyperthyroidism can affect sleep, along with other hormone deficiencies.  Not sure how old you are, but perimenopause can greatly affect sleep.  HRT helped me and my celiac disease diagnosis resolved my unstable thyroid (I have Hashimotos).  Things to have your doctor check if those tests have not been run lately.  😊. Just something to consider.  

15 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Hyperthyroidism can affect sleep, along with other hormone deficiencies.  Not sure how old you are, but perimenopause can greatly affect sleep.  HRT helped me and my celiac disease diagnosis resolved my unstable thyroid (I have Hashimotos).  Things to have your doctor check if those tests have not been run lately.  😊. Just something to consider.  

I'm going to have the doc check for thyroid problems as my mother had them at about the age I am now (63).  I'm really hoping to get some help or a referral to someone who can help me.  Wish me luck!