Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Gfresh404

Gfresh404

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:24 AM

Could you elaborate a bit on the question?

Are you implying that we don't need as much as other people?

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,684 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:15 AM

Your body repairs itself when you are sleeping so some of us will sleep more during the healing process. A full nights sleep is also important for anyones mental health.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

For me, finally getting a good night's sleep has been the biggest blessing! After years of horrendous insomnia, going gluten and corn free has allowed me to sleep like a normal person. Overrated? Far from it!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#5 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:14 AM

I love sleep! It's so nice to sleep restfully again!

I may not need as much as I used to, but my 8 hours now is way more restful than the 12-14 I used to get.

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#6 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:01 PM

Could you elaborate a bit on the question?

Are you implying that we don't need as much as other people?

I mean...it seems fatigue is a common occurrence among people with celiac. I seem to always feel tired and not have a lot of energy (I was just diagnosed a month ago). But then again, I have things I need to get done!! Does it help in the healing process? Or do I just ignore my need for sleep altogether?

Hope that makes more sense!

#7 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

For me, finally getting a good night's sleep has been the biggest blessing! After years of horrendous insomnia, going gluten and corn free has allowed me to sleep like a normal person. Overrated? Far from it!

Corn free too? Is there a way doctors can check to "corn intolerance"?

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

NCM, I have never been tested because I don't have insurance. From what I hear though, a lot of the tests they give are notoriously innaccurate anyway. I found out the hard way - went gluten free and started eating just whole foods - meat and vegetables and brown rice. When I ate corn I got sick. Got better, tried corn again, and got sick again. Now I am so sensitive to corn I can't even eat xanthan gum.

It's OK though. I feel good. Just last week I was having to take ibuprophen for an unrelated condition, and it made me sick and miserable, even after just one tablet. Advil uses corn fillers. Most other brands use wheat (or corn). I FINALLY found some corn and gluten free asperin powder, so next time I need pain relief I won't have to poison myself to get it.

Now it's been three or four days since my last Advil, and already I feel better and am sleeping agian. I feel like celebrating!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

Yep, corn has the same effect on me as gluten = sleepless nights.

Sleep can never be overrated :ph34r: .... only if it gets in the way of living, like Rip Van Winkel.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

I became sensitive to corn shortly after going gluten-free. It didn't turn up in allergy testing, even though other foods did. Corn doesn't bother everyone who can't tolerate gluten, but it's one to watch out for.

I haven't tried reintroducing it yet. Corn tortillias are handy, but, dang, corn smacked me.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#11 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:45 PM

I believe eliminating corn may be my next step. Have been very ill again lately - have eliminated dairy and soy as well as gluten and am feeling more sick than ever. :( It is so rare for me to sleep that I I can literally count my best sleeps on one hand in the last several years. Hope to get to the bottom of this soon! :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: