#1 pondy

pondy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:50 AM

Hello,

Last night I was awake 4 times due to deep bone pain in my hands & forearms.
The pain comes & goes. It doesn't last more than a minute, but it really hurts.
It's strange - sometimes it's in my palms & sometimes on the top outer aspect of the hands. This all started yesterday afternoon.

This morning the bone pain is still present - but it seems localized to my rib cage. That intermittent hand/forearm pain is still here also.

Did not ingest gluten - far as I know.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if you know what might help.

I do not take any pain relievers (they tend to upset my GI system) so I'm looking for a more holistic approach to whatever this is.

Any ideas will be appreciated! Thanks so much.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 glutout

glutout

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:24 AM

I get bone pain in my hips and shoulders. It comes and goes, too. Not sure if it is some sort of vitamin deficiency or accidentally got cc'd. Going to my GI doc to see what he says. Good luck to you!

#3 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:05 AM

Get your Vitamin levels checked... Let us know if they were low...
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

#4 gfreelady

gfreelady

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:07 AM

I too have had bone pain. Pain relievers dont work and make me ill. Excercise. If you choose holistic ways to improve your pain, eat anti inflamatory foods. Fresh pineapple is a good one. Increase your excercise. Walking and strength training will only help. Good luck.

#5 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:09 AM

Get your Vitamin levels checked... Let us know if they were low...

Hi,

I am low on vitamins D and B. I currently take 4000 IU of D3 and a B12 supplement daily.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change"
- Charles Darwin

#6 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:11 AM

I have had bone pain in my left hand and foot, and then I had shooting pains radiate from my elbows, thought to have been nerve pain. For the bone pain I have found heat helps. I have hot packed my foot with wet towels, out it in a plastic bag and then put it under a blanket for a half hour and it does make a difference for me. Just placing my hand in hot water for about 5 minutes and then moving it and keeping it in a towel until it cools on its own has helped.

At one point I thought it may have been corn that was giving me this issue but with more consistancy in my diet and trying to get more nutrients into my system it has stopped.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#7 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

I get bone pain in my hips and shoulders. It comes and goes, too. Not sure if it is some sort of vitamin deficiency or accidentally got cc'd. Going to my GI doc to see what he says. Good luck to you!

Sorry to hear you get that pain also. This morning it hurts so bad that I feel like wrapping my ribcage in an Ace bandage... I do have vitamin deficiencies but I take supplements. Maybe it's not enough.

Good luck with your GI!
- Charles Darwin

#8 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:15 AM

I have had bone pain in my left hand and foot, and then I had shooting pains radiate from my elbows, thought to have been nerve pain. For the bone pain I have found heat helps. I have hot packed my foot with wet towels, out it in a plastic bag and then put it under a blanket for a half hour and it does make a difference for me. Just placing my hand in hot water for about 5 minutes and then moving it and keeping it in a towel until it cools on its own has helped.

At one point I thought it may have been corn that was giving me this issue but with more consistancy in my diet and trying to get more nutrients into my system it has stopped.

Thank you - I have a couple heating pads that I can wrap myself up in! I'll give it a go.

By the way, was it nerve pain or bone pain? Mine feels like it's way down deep inside my bones.
- Charles Darwin

#9 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

I too have had bone pain. Pain relievers dont work and make me ill. Excercise. If you choose holistic ways to improve your pain, eat anti inflamatory foods. Fresh pineapple is a good one. Increase your excercise. Walking and strength training will only help. Good luck.

Thank you - you make good sense. I'm paying a YMCA membership that I haven't used in months because I've always had an "I don't feel good" excuse. I know you're right though. I do recall learning that strength training helps build bone mass.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll get some pineapple today. I'll walk today & plan to head to the gym tomorrow - pain or no pain.

I needed to hear all that you said.

Thanks again.
- Charles Darwin

#10 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:29 AM

Hi,

I am low on vitamins D and B. I currently take 4000 IU of D3 and a B12 supplement daily.

How low is your D level ??
IMO, Your low level of D may well be the issue.. I would start having issues after Christmas, after my stored D was used up.. The pains increased till spring and stopped in mid summer... My D was down to 14.8 at one time, but as it went up the pains left... I needed 50,000 units of D once a week(script required dose)..

#11 pondy

pondy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:33 AM

How low is your D level ??
IMO, Your low level of D may well be the issue.. I would start having issues after Christmas, after my stored D was used up.. The pains increased till spring and stopped in mid summer... My D was down to 14.8 at one time, but as it went up the pains left... I needed 50,000 units of D once a week(script required dose)..

My D level was somewhere in the low teens a few months back. However, I believe that my last check up was in the high 20's. My memory is poor - I need to keep better track of this info.

Plus, I live in Wisconsin - not much sun to begin with. And, it's been overcast & rainy for the past 8 days.
- Charles Darwin

#12 gfreelady

gfreelady

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:46 AM

The trick to getting enough excercise is fun. Go to the gym with friends. Go hiking at some amazing parks or bring a bike. If you live near water, go kyaking. The key is to get outside, be as active as you can, with or without the pain and illness. I have spent my fair share of time in out houses and public bathrooms but the alternative is never leaving my house. We all need to be happy and you will be surprised at how much better life will be if you get out and live it.

#13 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:06 AM

My D level was somewhere in the low teens a few months back. However, I believe that my last check up was in the high 20's. My memory is poor - I need to keep better track of this info.

Plus, I live in Wisconsin - not much sun to begin with. And, it's been overcast & rainy for the past 8 days.

Sounds like you need more D in your life...

#14 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

Me too...I was wondering if any of you also get swelling with that? One of my biggest complaints are from my forearms to the tips of my fingers! don't get me wrong...I get it all over my body...but my arms and hands are the worse.Do any of you feel like your hand or entire arm is literally caught in a bear trap!!! it hurts so much some times ...straight to the BONE!!! I also get goose egg sized lumps right above my wrist,fore arm..and /or behind my elbow!the bones in my fingers just ACHE so much (its NOT arthritis),also the little bone that sticks up on your wrist hurts just to touch!elbow bone as well. It's so weird...because it comes and goes.I'm still detoxing...
as I am newly diagnosed....so fustrating!!!some times I get shooting pains through my hands just from flexing! :blink: :(
I'd like it if anyone has a comment on this. :)
I need to exercise my arms (and body) as I am losing muscle mass...but it incapasitates me for days...it hurts so much...sort of a catch 22!!!
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#15 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

Thank you - I have a couple heating pads that I can wrap myself up in! I'll give it a go.

By the way, was it nerve pain or bone pain? Mine feels like it's way down deep inside my bones.

The pain I have had in my foot and in my hand is bone pain. The one I felt was nerve pain was the one that felt like the pain was shattering from elbow. In that situation I think I had too much pressure on the elbow joint, I tend to have problems with my nerves. Something I do get joint pain from is putting too much stress on the joint like carrying something heavy in my hand will give me pain in my fingers and/or wrist.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: