Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Sciatic Nerve Pain

14 posts in this topic

Last week, I bought a "gluten-free" chicken sausage out of a full service meatcase. The next day, I was glutened beyond belief! Low and behold, I dug through the garbage and found the parchment paper wrapper... and there were bread crumbs in it. Shortly thereafter, I got Sciatic Nerve pain from my glute all the way down to my toe. It progressively got worse over the past 5 days. In fact, I just came from the doctor (it was THAT bad)

One of my near and dear friends (also a Celiac) just called me and asked how I was doing. When I "fessed up" about my ailment, he said that when he gets glutened he immediately gets sciatic issues that lasts for a week.

Does this happen to any of you? In the past, I just had the usually gluten symptoms (diarrhea, fatigue, etc.) NEVER pain. And, this is the most pain I have ever had in my life.

Ads by Google:

UPDATE: Thank goodness for my health insurance, as I have already been referred to a physical therapist at 9a.m. tomorrow. I told her about my "theory" and she substantiated it... even elaborated about how we Celiacs get so much more inflamed when we are glutened.

Just one more thing we Celiacs have to look forward to when we get glutened. :(

In my late teens/ 20's I would get lower back pain. To the point I couldn't lay flat. This coincides with when I had GI symptoms (probably from gluten).

I found a very good masseuse that worked me over, pressure points, stretching, etc. Felt like I'd been caned but it worked. She said my nerves were tangled in muscles, and there were giant knots (this is my best recall after 10+ years).

Good luck, I know it's terrible.

I have chronic knee pain from years of playing competitive soccer. With physio and strengthening exercises, the pain is greatly decreased, however if I get glutened the pain comes back in full force. I hope you called the place where you got the not-so-gluten-free sausage! Feel better soon

Physically, I feel terrible right now. But, I feel GOOD knowing that there was a direct correlation between being glutened and the muscle pain.

And talk about a double whammy... trying to go to the bathroom with a leg that doesn't work. It isn't pretty. LOL.

I had my first physical therapy session in my life this morning. My therapist was remarkable and her mother-in-law was a Celiac as well. The stories that she told of other Celiacs making a visit right after a gluten encounter! Just when I thought I saw the last of the side effects related to gluten, another issue rears its ugly head.

If you have the same issue, you can most likely related it back to being glutened.

I also experience joint pain after getting glutened. It always affects the knuckles in my left hand the worst and lasts about 10 days. It makes working really unpleasant since I'm a massage therapist. I haven't dared eat out since the last time a few months back, it's just way too iffy.

I have learned SO much from this past gluten-ing experience. (As has my doctor, physical therapist, and massage therapist.)

All of this joint, nerve, and muscle pain can be directly related to gluten. And the more I look back at history, I remember sciatic pain just shortly after being glutened.

At least the above professionals, will be able to make un-diagnosed people aware that they might have a gluten intolerance.

UPDATE: For the first time in my life, I went to an acupuncturist this morning for the pain. Literally, 80% of the pain is gone after just one 90 minutes session.

I have a follow up session on Monday. If you have ANY type of pain, you really should consider acupuncture as an option. I'm a believer.

Before I was diagnosed (which was recently), I always battled with sciatic pain and I saw a chiropractor for YEARS with little relief. I couldn't make long drives and had a hard time sitting through college classes. Since going gluten free, I haven't noticed any sciatic pain. Since swelling is a normal reaction for us when we get glutened, it doesn't sound far fetched that there could be some swelling in that area that could put pressure on the sciatic nerve - its a pretty large nerve after all!!

P.S. I am a HUGE fan of acupuncture - I had it done a couple of times and I never slept better in my life! If I wasn't on such a tight budget, that would be the first thing I'd be making appointments for again!!

Best of luck on your recovery from that unfortunate glutening experience...

I had really bad sciatic pain that coincided with a glutening last winter/spring. Lasted for about a week. Only time I've had that symptom, so I don't know for sure if it was gluten or something else that just occurred at the same time. Glad the acupuncture is working and hope you're feeling better soon!

Yep, my sciatica always gets worse when I get glutened. It's already pretty crappy on a regular basis, but it sure as hell gets about 10 times worse when I get contaminated. Glad to see you got into an acupuncturist and are feeling better :}

Last week, I bought a "gluten-free" chicken sausage out of a full service meatcase. The next day, I was glutened beyond belief! Low and behold, I dug through the garbage and found the parchment paper wrapper... and there were bread crumbs in it. Shortly thereafter, I got Sciatic Nerve pain from my glute all the way down to my toe. It progressively got worse over the past 5 days. In fact, I just came from the doctor (it was THAT bad)

One of my near and dear friends (also a Celiac) just called me and asked how I was doing. When I "fessed up" about my ailment, he said that when he gets glutened he immediately gets sciatic issues that lasts for a week.

Does this happen to any of you? In the past, I just had the usually gluten symptoms (diarrhea, fatigue, etc.) NEVER pain. And, this is the most pain I have ever had in my life.

I've got celiac and am a licensed massage therapist for 6+ years with scoliosis. From your first post I can say muscles are affected by glutn reactins (spasms, cramps, locing up especially after work outs due to the lack of absorption of necessary nutrients, minerals and water absorption). Sometimes the stress (mentral and physical) of having a gluten reaction can trigger severe muscle cramps which obviously cramp nerve and blood flow. Gentle maasage/excersises (which ever you feel comfortable with) and tons of water (like 4x 32 oz.) will help flush the muscles and your body can begin recovery. This is based on my experience and clients experience, hope its helpful.

I know this is an old thread, but this is very helpful to me. I've been having all kinds of bad joint pains (Sciatica and shoulder/arm pain) that are even worse than the D.

My physical therapist looked at me like I was looney tunes when I mentioned I'd been diagnosed by my MD as gluten intolerant and I thought there might be a connection!

Sigh...Glad to hear I wasn't imagining it.