Simona19

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

Gluten and casein free Tiramisu
(Birthday cake)

Ingredients: 9 eggs, 2 and 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, 2/3 cup of boiling water, 3 Tbsp. of cocoa powder, 1 1/2 cup of Bob's gluten free Bread mix, 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. of baking powder, 2 Tbsp. of oil (I used measuring spoons and cups).

Filling:
1. 6 Tbsp. of decaffeinated coffee, 2 cups of boiling water, 2 tbsp. of sugar, rum or different liquor-optional (amount? How much you like or want to use).

2. One 16 oz. and one 8 oz. box of RICH's whip cream -gluten and casein free (you can find them with the Jewish frozen foods - they have them in my ShopRite, or online).

3. 2 cups of ZenSoy banana pudding, or cook this: In a medium saucepan combine 2 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch, ¼ cup sugar, 1/8 tsp. salt, 1 cup rice milk, l egg yolk (optional). Stirring constantly bring to a boil over medium heat and boil l minute. Add ½ tsp. vanilla for flavor. Cool it down and mix occasionally to prevent a crust on top of pudding.
I was busy and that is why I used already made ZenSoy pudding.

4. Cocoa

Directions:
l. Preheat oven to 385F.

2. Divide eggs to separate bowls- yolks and whites. Add powdered sugar, cocoa and boiling water into bowl with yolks (pure boiling water over cocoa, it will make the cake darker). Mix everything with a hand mixer on high for 3-5 minutes. Add oil and mix for 30 seconds. The mix must change the texture. It should double or triple in size and it will be lighter in color. Set it aside, but you need to work with egg whites very quickly.

3. Mix egg whites in the other bowl with the hand mixer for 4-5 minutes. Mix until they will turn to “snow” (one tip: turn your bowl upside down and if the whites are sticking to the bowl, the snow is perfectly done).

4. Mix Bob's bread mix and backing powder with egg yolks mixture. Mix it together very good, but use only spatula!!!! (I tried with mixer, but the cake wasn't good).

5. Add the snow made from the egg whites in the other bowl and very slowly mix together. You need to fold, or mix only into one direction - try to cover the egg snow with the flour mix. DO NOT MIX everything very fast! You need to preserve the fluffiness of the cake mix.

6. I used waxed paper inside my pan instead of butter and flour. You don't need to scrape nothing later and the cake is perfectly done. The waxed paper is small. Use two slices. Cover one with another 2-3 inches in the middle of pan. Place waxed paper on top of pan and leave 4 inches of paper all over the pan. Make little hall in middle of pan before you put dough inside. Spread the dough in every corner. Fix the corner with one hand and with help of spatula push dough inside. Repeat with every corner. Even the dough and bake in 16x12 pan for 30-35 minutes.

7. When the cake is done, let it cool down, take it out of pan and peal of the waxed paper from sides. Turn it upside down on clean surface (clean waxed paper on table, working area, or dish) and peal rest of the paper of. Turn the cake one more time upside down and cut it in middle all around with a long knife. Now you will have two sheets of cake. This way you will save time and money.

8. Make two cups of very strong coffee and add 2 Tbsp. of sugar.

9. Place the bottom half of the cake on a tray. Sprinkle with half of coffee and any alcoholic drink, if you desire.

10. Make whip cream from one 8oz. box Rich’s whip cream . Mix pudding into whip cream,1-2 Tbsp. at the time and spread it on top of cake.
11. Cover the whip cream mixture with other half of cake. Sprinkle with other half of coffee (alcoholic drink).
12. Make whip cream from bigger box (or two 8 oz. boxes) of Rich’s whip cream. Cover all cake with whip cream. Use a long knife to even up all sides of cake.
13. Put cocoa in a small wire strainer and sprinkle all sides with cocoa. Tip: Lift the one side of the cake (with the tray), proximately 2-3 inches to cover the side. Repeat with every side.
14. Make design, or cover all cake with cocoa. Cool it down for 1 hour before serving. Enjoy!

#3 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

Happy belated Birthday to you! The cake is beautiful! You realy should write a cookbook or something.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

OMG, Tiramisu, the one dessert I miss (not a big dessert eater but love this stuff). That looks wonderful. When I am feeling ambitious I will have to try. I always have problems with folding in beaten egg whites though in gluten free baking. Things usually sink. I never know how far to go, I guess. Do you keep folding until you can no longer see any egg white or does that take all the fluffiness out of them?
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Happy belated Birthday to you! The cake is beautiful! You realy should write a cookbook or something.

Thank you.

I was thinking about writing a gluten, casein, and nuts free cookbook for a few months now. Even my mom is encouraging me in this, but I don't know....
Who will publish it? Where I need to start? I have a recipes and special techniques to make it, but how?
Who knows, maybe one day...

#6 Simona19

Simona19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

OMG, Tiramisu, the one dessert I miss (not a big dessert eater but love this stuff). That looks wonderful. When I am feeling ambitious I will have to try. I always have problems with folding in beaten egg whites though in gluten free baking. Things usually sink. I never know how far to go, I guess. Do you keep folding until you can no longer see any egg white or does that take all the fluffiness out of them?

How to fold egg whites into egg mixture when you making a cake:

This is how I do folding:

Other option:

To prevent sinking of the cake after you take it out, you must leave it into oven longer.
My tip: The recipe calls for “ bake a cake for 30 minutes” . Put the cake inside and don’t open the oven for 25 minutes. I will open the oven for 10 seconds and touch the cake with fingers to see, how long it must be inside. If I feel under my fingers that it’s very spongy, soft, then it must be inside at least 5 more minutes. Sometimes 8 minutes. If the top of cake is harder, then I will wait 2-3 minutes, and I will pull it out.
Another sign is that the cake will shrink and pull at least ¼ inch from sides of pan. If you see this, the cake is perfectly done.
Every cake will shrink little, but if you pull it early, it will sink much more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: