18 replies to this topic

#16 mamacat

mamacat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Some people have posted that being "cured" by SCD actually just means being symptom free and you still have to stay off gluten. Others make it sounds like you an go back to gluten or eat whatever you want after SCD. I have a hard time believing that people can go back to eating gluten after they've done the SCD.

My question is: Is there any evidence or personal experiences that people have not only gone back to gluten after SCD, but have had another endoscopy to prove there is no more damage caused by celiac from eating gluten after SCD? Even if people feel like they're being cured and eat gluten after SCD, that doesn't mean the gut damage still isn't happening. Any info to back up these claims would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hypothyroid - 2009
Hashimoto's dx - 2009
ThyCa & thyroidectomy - 2009
Celiac (blood test & biopsy pos) - June 2012
Gluten Free - July 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Some people have posted that being "cured" by SCD actually just means being symptom free and you still have to stay off gluten. Others make it sounds like you an go back to gluten or eat whatever you want after SCD. I have a hard time believing that people can go back to eating gluten after they've done the SCD.

My question is: Is there any evidence or personal experiences that people have not only gone back to gluten after SCD, but have had another endoscopy to prove there is no more damage caused by celiac from eating gluten after SCD? Even if people feel like they're being cured and eat gluten after SCD, that doesn't mean the gut damage still isn't happening. Any info to back up these claims would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think any of these posters said they are cured of Celiac. They are " symptom free" or the diet helped them heal. They aren't saying they can eat gluten with no issues.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#18 mamacat

mamacat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

I don't think any of these posters said they are cured of Celiac. They are " symptom free" or the diet helped them heal. They aren't saying they can eat gluten with no issues.

TimothyWelch said you could try to slowly reintroduce old foods after the diet but it didn't work for most people introducing it too fast. Glutengirl42 also mentioned she heard some claiming to eat anything after SCD. I've heard that too so thats why im questioning it b/c I have yet to see any evidence that shows you can go back to gluten. I want to know if that's true or just rumor.
Hypothyroid - 2009
Hashimoto's dx - 2009
ThyCa & thyroidectomy - 2009
Celiac (blood test & biopsy pos) - June 2012
Gluten Free - July 2012

#19 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

TimothyWelch said you could try to slowly reintroduce old foods after the diet but it didn't work for most people introducing it too fast. Glutengirl42 also mentioned she heard some claiming to eat anything after SCD. I've heard that too so thats why im questioning it b/c I have yet to see any evidence that shows you can go back to gluten. I want to know if that's true or just rumor.

I think Timothy does not have Celiac, he had colitis. I belive they also meant things like grains, dairy, whatever isn't on that diet but a Celiac can have.

I'm not going to argue with you. i don't think you can find any evidence that the SCD diet would cure an autoimmune disease. Not a reputable source, anyway..

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: