4 replies to this topic

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Hi Everyone!

I have found this forum so helpful, and I need to turn to you for advice about this. My dentist fitted me with a bite guard last summer. I love it. It's like a pacifier for me. But I know I've eaten gluten foods and put it in without brushing....My question--can I clean the dental appliance fully and continue to use it? Or do I need to have another one made?

My dentist, who says the dental plastic is not porous like kitchen utensils, says as long as I brush the bite guard with a gluten free toothpaste I should be fine.

Thoughs?

Thanks so much!
diagnosed IgG gluten intolerant October, 2011
diagnosed IgG casein intolerant December, 2011
diagnosed IgE allergic to eggs & bananas, January, 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,557 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

I have found that white vinegar dissolves flour. What if you soaked this thing for hours in 1/2 white vinegar 1/2 water? Then rinse and brush the heck out of it? Then rinse, rinse, rinse. Scrub with a tooth brush. If it still tastes like vinegar, you haven't rinsed enough!

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

Wenmin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

I have been using the same night guard for about 5 years now. I used it pre gluten free and usually brush when I take it out of my mouth in the morning. I never changed mine when I went gluten free. The only time I've had to change mine in when I bite right through it. (This has happened several times in the last 26 years.) I brushed and rinsed it thouroughly the first few weeks of gluten free. I figured I was still getting some traces of gluten, but my body was still adjusting to the change so it did not affect me. I started to feel better about 2-3 days after going gluten free. However, there were many unintentional slip-ups in the first month and the night guard was not the biggest concern at that time.

Wenmin

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

I have been using the same night guard for about 5 years now. I used it pre gluten free and usually brush when I take it out of my mouth in the morning. I never changed mine when I went gluten free. The only time I've had to change mine in when I bite right through it. (This has happened several times in the last 26 years.) I brushed and rinsed it thouroughly the first few weeks of gluten free. I figured I was still getting some traces of gluten, but my body was still adjusting to the change so it did not affect me. I started to feel better about 2-3 days after going gluten free. However, there were many unintentional slip-ups in the first month and the night guard was not the biggest concern at that time.

Wenmin

Thanks so much for the quick feedback! I truly appreciate it.

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

I have found that white vinegar dissolves flour. What if you soaked this thing for hours in 1/2 white vinegar 1/2 water? Then rinse and brush the heck out of it? Then rinse, rinse, rinse. Scrub with a tooth brush. If it still tastes like vinegar, you haven't rinsed enough!

This was great advice! I tried it last night and slept hard, knowing that I could use my "pacifier" without fear. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: