#1 Albion

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

Hi Everyone!

I have found this forum so helpful, and I need to turn to you for advice about this. My dentist fitted me with a bite guard last summer. I love it. It's like a pacifier for me. But I know I've eaten gluten foods and put it in without brushing....My question--can I clean the dental appliance fully and continue to use it? Or do I need to have another one made?

My dentist, who says the dental plastic is not porous like kitchen utensils, says as long as I brush the bite guard with a gluten free toothpaste I should be fine.

Thoughs?

Thanks so much!
diagnosed IgG gluten intolerant October, 2011
diagnosed IgG casein intolerant December, 2011
diagnosed IgE allergic to eggs & bananas, January, 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

I have found that white vinegar dissolves flour. What if you soaked this thing for hours in 1/2 white vinegar 1/2 water? Then rinse and brush the heck out of it? Then rinse, rinse, rinse. Scrub with a tooth brush. If it still tastes like vinegar, you haven't rinsed enough!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Wenmin

Wenmin

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

I have been using the same night guard for about 5 years now. I used it pre gluten free and usually brush when I take it out of my mouth in the morning. I never changed mine when I went gluten free. The only time I've had to change mine in when I bite right through it. (This has happened several times in the last 26 years.) I brushed and rinsed it thouroughly the first few weeks of gluten free. I figured I was still getting some traces of gluten, but my body was still adjusting to the change so it did not affect me. I started to feel better about 2-3 days after going gluten free. However, there were many unintentional slip-ups in the first month and the night guard was not the biggest concern at that time.

Wenmin

#4 Albion

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

I have been using the same night guard for about 5 years now. I used it pre gluten free and usually brush when I take it out of my mouth in the morning. I never changed mine when I went gluten free. The only time I've had to change mine in when I bite right through it. (This has happened several times in the last 26 years.) I brushed and rinsed it thouroughly the first few weeks of gluten free. I figured I was still getting some traces of gluten, but my body was still adjusting to the change so it did not affect me. I started to feel better about 2-3 days after going gluten free. However, there were many unintentional slip-ups in the first month and the night guard was not the biggest concern at that time.

Wenmin

Thanks so much for the quick feedback! I truly appreciate it.

#5 Albion

Albion

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

I have found that white vinegar dissolves flour. What if you soaked this thing for hours in 1/2 white vinegar 1/2 water? Then rinse and brush the heck out of it? Then rinse, rinse, rinse. Scrub with a tooth brush. If it still tastes like vinegar, you haven't rinsed enough!

This was great advice! I tried it last night and slept hard, knowing that I could use my "pacifier" without fear. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: