Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Penzeys Spices - Yes Or No?

7 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to the gluten-free diet...diagnosed almost 8 weeks ago and still on a simple bland diet while I heal. I have a cabinet full of Penzeys spices and when I called the company they stated that all spices and blends were gluten-free. In fact, the rep said the only item they have that is not gluten-free was the soup bases which are produced by another company.

Does anyone use Penzeys? Good or bad experiences? Just curious. Not sure if I should reorder from Penzeys or stick with spices from McCormick -- I read that their pure spices are gluten-free. Or did I read that wrong?

Help!

Ads by Google:

I'm relatively new to the gluten-free diet...diagnosed almost 8 weeks ago and still on a simple bland diet while I heal. I have a cabinet full of Penzeys spices and when I called the company they stated that all spices and blends were gluten-free. In fact, the rep said the only item they have that is not gluten-free was the soup bases which are produced by another company.

Does anyone use Penzeys? Good or bad experiences? Just curious. Not sure if I should reorder from Penzeys or stick with spices from McCormick -- I read that their pure spices are gluten-free. Or did I read that wrong?

Help!

I use Penzey's and The Spice House (relatives of each other) and I have had no problems with any of them. I use a lot of spices in my cooking too. :)

Good Luck!

mcCormiks & Penzys plain spices & spice only mixes are great! I don't known if they make any thing like a taco seasoning mix with flour. Read the labels.

I use Penzy's for the " odd" spices the grocery doesn't carry.

If a place tells you that everything they make is gluten-free, that's about as good as it gets.

richard

I have never worried about plain old spices. I don't buy McCormick much because the spices are irradiated to kill bacteria and increase shelf life. Penzey's are really good and not irradiated. They've never given my any trouble.

Thanks everyone! I've been a Penzey's fan for years...am glad I can continue to use them.

...am glad I can continue to use them.

Just make sure to rub down any of the spice jars that you commonly used with your gluten dishes, if you usually held onto the jars with gluten-covered hands (like cinnamon if you made cinnamon rolls, that sort of thing).