10 replies to this topic

#1 organicmama

organicmama

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

I am perusing "The Gluten-Free Bible" and it indicates that a gluten-free person cannot have "alcoholic beverages made from cereal grains such as whiskey, vodka, gin ..." Is that accurate?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

I am perusing "The Gluten-Free Bible" and it indicates that a gluten-free person cannot have "alcoholic beverages made from cereal grains such as whiskey, vodka, gin ..." Is that accurate?

NOPE! One of the many inaccuracies in that book.

All distilled alcohol beverages are considered gluten free, regardless of the source.

(although there are some here that may be sensitive to the grains in the alcohol - but generally it's accepted to be safe for most Celiac)

http://www.celiac.co...ages/Page1.html
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:29 PM

I have heard there are problems with that book.

" Real" Vodka should be made from potatoes. That's what I always thought. Gluten is a big molecule, so, in distilling, it should be too big and heavy to rise up in the steam. A few of the more sensitive folks have a problem with it. But the majority, are fine.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:06 AM

When I was originally diagnosed I thought that I would have to give up malt whisky. Thankfully, the distillation does indeed work and I have no issues with it. My favourite is Highland Park from Orkney.

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

Good heavens no! I'd be flat on my back if that were the case! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :P
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

I have heard there are problems with that book.

" Real" Vodka should be made from potatoes. That's what I always thought. Gluten is a big molecule, so, in distilling, it should be too big and heavy to rise up in the steam. A few of the more sensitive folks have a problem with it. But the majority, are fine.

I like Tito's - made from corn from TX. There's one from Hawaii made from sugar cane and I want to try it.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

Smirnoff is made from corn, or it was in the past. Haven't checked in a long time.

richard

#8 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

I have given up enough... first I quit smoking, then had to go gluten free. I refuse to give up my whiskey. Thank goodness I don't have to!

#9 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

I like Tito's - made from corn from TX. There's one from Hawaii made from sugar cane and I want to try it.

Are you thinking of Koloa Rum? It's made from sugar cane from the island of Kauai. It is amazing, I bought some when I was on my honeymoon their last july. I need to find out if they sell in on the mainland or if I have to get it shipped. Or is there a sugar cane vodka I don't know about?

The website is here http://www.koloarum.com/

#10 organicmama

organicmama

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

NOPE! One of the many inaccuracies in that book.

I only spent another five or ten minutes looking at that book before I was offended at the misinformation. The typos were bad enough, but telling people that rice can be dangerous? There were a whole handful of things in that arena that I dismissed immediately and don't even recall now. Plus, the classic fallacies like caramel color having gluten were mentioned as well. I think it's harmful for that book to still be published.

#11 kdonov2

kdonov2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:14 PM

I react to gluten-distilled alcohols. I don't know about whiskey or gin, but Smirnoff, Chopin, Ciroc, Pinnacle vodkas are gluten free. If you like rum as well, most are gluten free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: