This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Guys Get Your Gluten Symptoms For Other Intolerances, Or Different Symptoms?

AzizaRivers

AzizaRivers Apprentice

I'm wondering if those of you with other intolerances tend to get the same symptoms you get from gluten, or if you have a whole different set of symptoms for other things.

I have lately had a lot of canker sores (I have 4 right now) and I don't usually get those without it being food-related. I've been having mild stomach issues similar to my gluten ones, but on a much smaller scale. I'm not incapacitated like I would be if I was eating regular gluten food or anything, but I am uncomfortable. I do live in a mixed house (like with my partner's family so it's out of the question to ask everyone to change) but I am extremely careful. So it's possible I'm having CC, but I also wonder if maybe it's another intolerance. I've been gluten-free for almost a year now and I know it's common for new ones to show up 6-12 months after diagnosis and diet change.

I started a food diary this past week to log my symptoms along with whatever I ate. I guess if it's another intolerance that will help me figure it out. But if it's just CC from cookie sheets/pans (I don't have my own), crumbs, etc. then I won't know from that. If it is CC, I'm almost totally sure it's not from a product but rather from sharing the pots and pans, getting gluten crumbs near my food, and perhaps things like eating rice someone else has made, in which they used butter from the non-gluten-free butter dish.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

I will get glutened symptoms from high fructose.

mushroom Proficient

Corn is the only intolerance that gives me gluten-type symptoms. The others are always rashes, hives, mostly skin-type things.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I haven't been doing this long enough to be certain, but strong salicylates (food preservatives, colors) give me "acid flashback" reactions, as well as my DH popping up. Then again, how can I be certain I didn't get glutened, too??

It's tough to figure out.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Soy makes me fatigued and brain foggy in a similar way that gluten does but it doesn't give me any stomach issues or other neurological issues that I get with gluten so that is how I tell the difference.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I think that I get different seeming symptoms from low level cc than I do from higher level cc. If I continue with that low level cc for longer, days or weeks, they symptoms develop into the high level cc ones.

I am also intolerant to oats and I can't tell my oat intolerance from my wheat intolerance, from the barley or rye one. Of course I don't know what is contaminated with what so how would I know?

bartfull Rising Star

Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat - still trying to figure it all out. I'M not even sure I HAVE symptoms from gluten yet. I know that corn, and now almonds, make my psoriasis kick up. I know corn gives me insomnia. And although I didn't have much for digestive symptoms before starting the diet, SOMETHING is now bothering me that way too. It's going to take time, maybe a year or two, but I WILL get to the bottom of this. I WILL find a way to stay healthy. At this point, I really don't care WHAT I eat, as long as I don't go hungry. If they told me living on nothing but cardboard will heal what's wrong with me, I'd be happy to eat cardboard for the rest of my life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AzizaRivers Apprentice

Hmm. Yeah, it sounds like many of us are in the same boat as me, or were and still don't have everything figured out. Thanks for sharing though, everyone. :)

missmellie Newbie

I'm wondering if those of you with other intolerances tend to get the same symptoms you get from gluten, or if you have a whole different set of symptoms for other things.

I have lately had a lot of canker sores (I have 4 right now) and I don't usually get those without it being food-related. I've been having mild stomach issues similar to my gluten ones, but on a much smaller scale. I'm not incapacitated like I would be if I was eating regular gluten food or anything, but I am uncomfortable. I do live in a mixed house (like with my partner's family so it's out of the question to ask everyone to change) but I am extremely careful. So it's possible I'm having CC, but I also wonder if maybe it's another intolerance. I've been gluten-free for almost a year now and I know it's common for new ones to show up 6-12 months after diagnosis and diet change.

I started a food diary this past week to log my symptoms along with whatever I ate. I guess if it's another intolerance that will help me figure it out. But if it's just CC from cookie sheets/pans (I don't have my own), crumbs, etc. then I won't know from that. If it is CC, I'm almost totally sure it's not from a product but rather from sharing the pots and pans, getting gluten crumbs near my food, and perhaps things like eating rice someone else has made, in which they used butter from the non-gluten-free butter dish.

My reaction is pretty much the same from everything on the "gotta avoid it" list. For me that includes gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, yeast, several spices, and turkey, and other things to a lesser extent. Even a hint of those things and it's a must to be close to a bathroom for several painful hours. So, it's not easy, but it's a must to be ever vigilant. Do you have GERD or other stomach acid issues? Those can cause canker sores, as can hormone imbalances. It does sound, though, like you have real CC problems.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

My reaction to fructose is totally different than my reaction to gluten.

My noticable reactions to gluten are minor... my reactions to fructose are more noticeable, and more immedate (hours, where as my one main gluten reaction-- cold sores-- usually takes 1-4 days to appear)

Roda Rising Star

I get the same reaction from gluten free oats as I do gluten. I do believe it caused the gastritis and ulcer I had last year. I react to gluten free oat contamination in products also. I'm with dilettantsteph, I have slightly different reactions to low CC over time than if I overtly get a big dose of gluten all at once. Eventually the low level CC will add up and feel like a big gluten reaction.

BeFree Contributor

"If they told me living on nothing but cardboard will heal what's wrong with me, I'd be happy to eat cardboard for the rest of my life."

LOL that's how I feel...I just want to get better!

• 2 weeks later...
Familytradition Rookie

Same boat here too! I need to post my numbers for my known food intolerances. I DO suspect tha I have others but havent been able to distinguish between them yet. It will be a long road. Does anyone else recommend igG testing to help identify food intolerances?

• 2 weeks later...
Lori2 Contributor

I have lately had a lot of canker sores (I have 4 right now) and I don't usually get those without it being food-related.

My daughter had very bad canker sores, so bad, in fact, that her physician finally sent her to Mayo Clinic for a diagnosis. They were caused by iron mal-absorption. She has great difficulty getting her levels up. Her celiac panel was negative at that time--she should probably be retested.

Since iron mal-absorption is another celiac symptom, it may improve as you heal. However, I would get tested and add a supplement if needed.

Archived