13 replies to this topic

#1 New Community Member

New Community Member

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

I'm thinking I may have to resort to an elimination diet...What did you eliminate and did it speed up the healing process?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:10 PM

An elimination diet really involves going right down to the basics of eating; say eating ground lamb patties sauteed in a little olive oil, some rice, some vegetable you know you tolerate, some apple sauce, something that will provide you with basic nutrition that you can stabilize on, basically eliminating everything except the essentials needed to nourish you. THEN: you add foods back in one at a time, every 3-4 days and see if you tolerate them. Keep a food and symptom diary. If a food bothers you cross it off the list and don't try it again for six months. Foods tend to run in families, i.e., dairy, legumes, nightshades, citrus, grains. So for example, if one of the nightshade family members ( potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) bothers you, don't try any other nightshades right away. This is the way you expland your tolerated diet. If cheese bothers you, don't try milk or yogurt until you have tried all the other foods options. With time, foods that bother you now may no longer bother you once you have healed, but your immune system is hyperactive and reaction set right now, so you have to soothe it and calm it down -- rather like petting a cat. Stroke it and treat it well and it should respond :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

I eliminated all boxed, canned, frozen, mixed anything, and dairy. Anything that had a long list of perservatives like candies, soda, etc. I took chips out of my diet, and ate no fast food. Too much junk in all of that. Because I had bone loss I went to a low acidic diet which you can google and find easy enough. Basically I went natural as much as possible. I was also deficient in vitamins and and minerals which I added with supplements and tried to incorporate as much foods into my diet that had the vitamins my body was needing. And yes, it very much did help me heal.
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#4 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

When I did my elimination diet I cut out all grains, all sugars, all yeast, all processed food, all legumes, all fruit (except for berries) and the top 8 allergens. I ate mainly organic free-range chicken, bison, lamb and beef plus any vegetables and sweet potatoes for my source of carbs. Most people do this for only a week or two and then add new things in. I was so sick and desperate when I did my elimination diet however I wanted to be sure any recovery was really food related. I stayed on the strict elimination diet for an entire month. Then when I had began to feel better I added one new food (in whole food form, not processed) a week.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#5 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:16 PM

I did lamb, rice, and lettuce for two weeks. It was tedious but I figured out all the GI problems I'd been having were food sensitivity.

#6 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. I don't know if I have the willpower yet to eliminate everything from my diet. I greatly commend ya'll who have done the elimination diet...You are strong people! Tomorrow I go for a check-up. We'll see from there....I may just have to do more than just gluten/lactose free diet. Thank you again!!

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

Strong, no. Desperate, yes. :P

#8 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:15 PM

Like Skylark and GlutenFreeManna - desperation was a great fuel for a really strict elimination diet.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#9 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:39 PM

Like Skylark and GlutenFreeManna - desperation was a great fuel for a really strict elimination diet.

To true

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#10 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:45 PM

When I did my elimination diet I cut out all grains, all sugars, all yeast, all processed food, all legumes, all fruit (except for berries) and the top 8 allergens. I ate mainly organic free-range chicken, bison, lamb and beef plus any vegetables and sweet potatoes for my source of carbs. Most people do this for only a week or two and then add new things in. I was so sick and desperate when I did my elimination diet however I wanted to be sure any recovery was really food related. I stayed on the strict elimination diet for an entire month. Then when I had began to feel better I added one new food (in whole food form, not processed) a week.

The first 3 weeks of my elimination diet I ate ground lamb,sweet potatos,peas,peaches and plain white rice and drank only plain water.Then I very slowly started adding foods one at a time in whole form and would wait at least a week before adding a new food to judge for a reaction (or not). A very slow tedious process but so VERY worth it.

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#11 AVR1962

AVR1962

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. I don't know if I have the willpower yet to eliminate everything from my diet. I greatly commend ya'll who have done the elimination diet...You are strong people! Tomorrow I go for a check-up. We'll see from there....I may just have to do more than just gluten/lactose free diet. Thank you again!!

I know this sounds very tasking but really it is not. You actually open the door to much healthier eating and it opens your eyes to new ideas. Go back to the basics and it really is quite simple. I made a pot roast last night, no gravy, cooked in it's own juices with water, loaded with veggies. Homemade soups are so simple and can hold so much nutrients. Thinks basic!
Yesterday is not ours to recover but today is ours to win or lose!

Miscarriage, Kidney stones, Anemia, Pneumonia, Migraines, Restless leg, Bone fractures, Blurred/Double vision, Extreme fatigue, Bone & Joint Pain, Thyroid nodule, Celiac diagnosed 2011, Spine and leg bone loss, GERD, Vitamin deficiencies, Malabsorbtion, Neuropathy issues, Ataxia, Raynaud's Syndrome. Currently on diet with limited grain and sugar.

#12 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for your responses. I don't feel "desperate" enough to resort to an elimination diet nor do I want to right now. My doctor recommended I go see a nutritionist/dietician. I've been gluten free for nearly 6 weeks. Still having some of the same digestive issues. I don't really think a nutritionist can do anything to help me out. I've been eat strictly gluten/lactose free. and am very cautious about CC. Would it be beneficial to go see a dietician? Any insight?

#13 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

I know this sounds very tasking but really it is not. You actually open the door to much healthier eating and it opens your eyes to new ideas. Go back to the basics and it really is quite simple. I made a pot roast last night, no gravy, cooked in it's own juices with water, loaded with veggies. Homemade soups are so simple and can hold so much nutrients. Thinks basic!

Hi there,

I remember reading some post and it seemed like you had posted something about Nivea (I recognized the picture from on here!). Is Nivea lip care gluten free, do you know?
I greatly appreciate all your helpful responses you contribute to this site! :)

#14 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for your responses. I don't feel "desperate" enough to resort to an elimination diet nor do I want to right now. My doctor recommended I go see a nutritionist/dietician. I've been gluten free for nearly 6 weeks. Still having some of the same digestive issues. I don't really think a nutritionist can do anything to help me out. I've been eat strictly gluten/lactose free. and am very cautious about CC. Would it be beneficial to go see a dietician? Any insight?

Some dieticians are worthless (will only tell you what you already know) and some can help guide you through an elimination diet or additional food intolerance/allergy testing. If your insurance covers it then I would go to one just to see if you can learn anything. If your insurance does not cover it I would not bother.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: