#1 Nannu

Nannu

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

Hi,

Has anyone ever come across any reason/allergy/intolerence etc. other than gluten intolerence which results in anti TTG IGA levels highly positive?

Please do take a sec to reply to this question if you have the answer. I am not getting into details of my long story here, but i guess any answers to this would really open path for me in some positive direction.

Thanks in advance
Nannu

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pain*in*my*gut

pain*in*my*gut

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

Hi,

Has anyone ever come across any reason/allergy/intolerence etc. other than gluten intolerence which results in anti TTG IGA levels highly positive?

Please do take a sec to reply to this question if you have the answer. I am not getting into details of my long story here, but i guess any answers to this would really open path for me in some positive direction.

Thanks in advance
Nannu

From American Celiac.org......

One negative aspect of the TTG antibody is that it can be falsely positive in a patient who has another autoimmune condition. TTG false positivity has been described in patients with both type I diabetes and autoimmune hepatitis. Theoretically, it can also be falsely positive in other autoimmune disease.

http://americancelia...ease/diagnosis/
Celiac DX 9/2011 ~ Gluten free ever since
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 10/2011
Premature Ovarian Failure 11/2010
Rheumatoid Arthritis 10/2011
Sjogren's Disease 10/2011

"The best way out is always through" ~Robert Frost

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

From American Celiac.org......

One negative aspect of the TTG antibody is that it can be falsely positive in a patient who has another autoimmune condition. TTG false positivity has been described in patients with both type I diabetes and autoimmune hepatitis. Theoretically, it can also be falsely positive in
other autoimmune disease.

http://americancelia...ease/diagnosis/

I found the same thing - on Wikipedia, whatever that's worth.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 Nannu

Nannu

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

I found the same thing - on Wikipedia, whatever that's worth.

Thanks a ton to both of you. I feel this other reason is irrelavant in our case. Lets see. Awaiting a repeat test report today. Will update how it goes?

Thanks
Nannu

#5 Nannu

Nannu

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi again,

The repeat tests for us also have come out highly positive. So, no good news. But, my question here is

How do TTG levels increase or decrease in a person with a GFD. Has anyone had an experience of delayed healing with multiple anti TTG IGA tests before they could get final normal range results. More and more replies to this post will help us get better clarity in understanding our case. A brief about the case is below:

Diagnosed 7 months back with celiac with high positive antibodies and positive biopsy. All the symptoms have been taken care since on GFD like growth, vitamin D deficiency and iron deficiency anemia. Thyroid and blood sugar were normal at the time of diagnosis only. Stomach is doing pretty well and even able to take enough dairy so as to meet daily calcium needs for a 5 1/2 year old. But, anti TTG test after 7 months came almost the same as 7 months back. This is contradictory and hence we are confused. We are trying to take utmost care and are more strict now. If you all are able to share your TTG levels at specific intervals, it would really help.

Thanks again
Nannu

#6 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:21 AM

Have you replaced any worn non stick pans, wooden spoons, cutting boards, pasta strainer, toaster, waffle iron, baking ingredients/spices & herbs etc. that may have cross contamination? These things can slow down progress if you are using them, since they can't be cleaned of all trace gluten. Also is your makeup, lipstick, lib balm, lotion and other toiletries gluten free?

My initial tTG level was around 78 with > 10 positive. Six months later it was down to 4 ref. range > 19 positive. Different labs but negative result regardless. The last one I had done was last year and it was I think it was around 4 also(same ref. range as 6 mon. test).

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#7 Nannu

Nannu

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hi Roda,

Thanks for the inputs. I feel i had taken care of all the things that you have mentioned. Regarding cosmetics, its my 5 1/2 yr old who is a celiac so that option is for now best avoided. We'll need to look into that aspect also as she grows. My levels were at 297 and now at 291 after 7 months. What do you think would be a good time to test again?

Expecting more replies to my post. Thanks in advance.

Nannu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: