This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No More Gluten Or Dairy And Now I Am Always So Hungry

noglutenforme

noglutenforme Newbie

Im 19 and i don't have celiac disease but i stopped eating gluten and dairy because of many bad reviews about the stuff an everything, only been around 1 1/2 - 2 days since i stopped dairy and gluten but i have to say that now i am always so hungry im by no means fat or overweight i had a six pack since as far back as i can remember just saying that to prove a point anyway just for instance since i woke up around 3 1/2 hours ago i since have eaten all of this!, 4 small fish fillets a steak a plate of rice a bunch of dates and some almonds can you believe that? lol and still even now i am hungry, my reason tells me that because gluten or celiac disease whatever you wanna call it makes it much more difficult to absorb nutrients and all that so maybe my body is telling me that it needs a heck of allot more vitamins and minerals and it wants them now!, Question is anyone else have a really big appetite since the switch? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Im 19 and i don't have celiac disease but i stopped eating gluten and dairy because of many bad reviews about the stuff an everything, only been around 1 1/2 - 2 days since i stopped dairy and gluten

You need to go back on gluten and get tested for celiac disease first. This is not a fad diet, or one based on "reviews" of foods. It is a medical diet and once you go on it you can not be tested for celiac because the tests will return to normal. It is very important to know if you have celiac disease because it raises your risk of other autoimmunity, plus you have to be extremely strict with the diet.

I would strongly suggest you start eating gluten again, call your doctor, explain your symptoms, and arrange to get a celiac panel.

Your hunger after only a few days is probably because you have eliminated some rich foods that you used to eat. That's not long enough for any malabsorption to change significantly.

AzizaRivers Apprentice

I'm a little confused. You said you don't have celiac disease and just went gluten-free because of "reviews," but then you said you wondered if you are extra hungry because celiac disease makes it hard to absorb nutrients. So are you saying that you think you may have celiac? You didn't mention any symptoms.

I was very hungry when I first gluten free because my body was starved for nutrients. I agree with skylark that you probably are hungry because you are not eating the rich foods you used to eat. If you just went gluten-free for fun and you don't have any health issues or celiac symptoms, I'd advise you to go back to eating gluten. In moderation, of course. If you went gluten-free because you are trying to resolve a health issue, then you should resume eating gluten and go to see your doctor to be tested for celiac. You would need to be eating gluten to have accurate test results.

As said above, it's not a fad diet and there's no reason for it to be.

noglutenforme Newbie

You need to go back on gluten and get tested for celiac disease first. This is not a fad diet, or one based on "reviews" of foods. It is a medical diet and once you go on it you can not be tested for celiac because the tests will return to normal. It is very important to know if you have celiac disease because it raises your risk of other autoimmunity, plus you have to be extremely strict with the diet.

I would strongly suggest you start eating gluten again, call your doctor, explain your symptoms, and arrange to get a celiac panel.

Your hunger after only a few days is probably because you have eliminated some rich foods that you used to eat. That's not long enough for any malabsorption to change significantly.

Hey listen, whether you do or do not have celiac disease gluten is a poison! I am very strict with my diet i eat these things only steak,fish,chicken,rice,potatoes,fruit and vegetables from natural sources no cans or anything, thats as simple as it comes my friend. People are deluded when they think you should stop eating gluten only if they have celiac disease. Gluten causes brain damage to every single thing that ingests it it blocks hormonal activity causes a billion and one negative effects on our bodies and mind and your gonna tell me to wait and see if i have celiac disease? I think not. Sorry if i offended you but really do more research. Have you ever wondered why now that men are so feminine compared to say 100 years ago? Its all that damn gluten and dairy that they are eating, and not only that now 1 in 4 couples in the west seek fertility treatment such a thing never existed 100-200 years ago what a coincidence when dairy and gluten consumption was far less than today and even just to look in nature when no other animal eats gluten or dairy unless domesticated not a single case unless its a birth defect or something like that. Pardon my language but the world is getting fd by gluten and dairy, anyway my appetite is still quite high but has calmed a little since yesterday. I could keep typing forever about the negative effects of gluten causing schizophenia, adhd, obesity, etc but i hope now you have got my point :).

kareng Grand Master

Why did you come on a Celiac website to be rude and dismissive to people giving you honest & caring advice about Celiac Disease?

Lisa Mentor

noglutenforme:

You threw out some outrageous claims. In order to support your post, you need to post substantiated studies to support your claims....might help your argument. :)

psawyer Proficient
I could keep typing forever about the negative effects of gluten causing schizophenia, adhd, obesity, etc but i hope now you have got my point :).

No, I haven't. To make your point, whatever it is, you will need to post some evidence to support your claims. Otherwise, all I see is the angry ranting of a teenager who is long on emotion and short on facts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Hey listen, whether you do or do not have celiac disease gluten is a poison! I am very strict with my diet i eat these things only steak,fish,chicken,rice,potatoes,fruit and vegetables from natural sources no cans or anything, thats as simple as it comes my friend. People are deluded when they think you should stop eating gluten only if they have celiac disease. Gluten causes brain damage to every single thing that ingests it it blocks hormonal activity causes a billion and one negative effects on our bodies and mind and your gonna tell me to wait and see if i have celiac disease? I think not. Sorry if i offended you but really do more research. Have you ever wondered why now that men are so feminine compared to say 100 years ago? Its all that damn gluten and dairy that they are eating, and not only that now 1 in 4 couples in the west seek fertility treatment such a thing never existed 100-200 years ago what a coincidence when dairy and gluten consumption was far less than today and even just to look in nature when no other animal eats gluten or dairy unless domesticated not a single case unless its a birth defect or something like that. Pardon my language but the world is getting fd by gluten and dairy, anyway my appetite is still quite high but has calmed a little since yesterday. I could keep typing forever about the negative effects of gluten causing schizophenia, adhd, obesity, etc but i hope now you have got my point :).

I am at a loss for words. :blink: If you want to get into some sort of activism you need to learn some science and get your facts straight. I am not "offended" but I am awfully disappointed that you think you can come here as a new member, spout a lot of disconnected pseudoscience, and expect to be taken seriously.

noglutenforme Newbie

I am at a loss for words. :blink: If you want to get into some sort of activism you need to learn some science and get your facts straight. I am not "offended" but I am awfully disappointed that you think you can come here as a new member, spout a lot of disconnected pseudoscience, and expect to be taken seriously.

Well sure maybe i was a little aggresive but i am telling the honest truth, if you look around there is a hundred and one diseases and most doctors and scientists and all go about finding a cure not prevention the prevention is simple if you just look back into history what is different now to then? DIET, no cavemen had diabetes schizophenia and all that. Instead of me saying the same things as last time maybe i can give a little evidence no? Well number 1, Famous doctor mark hyman he is adamante that gluten and dairy is causing a hell of allot of problems to humanity, number 2(and by the way since i already know all of this crap its a little annoying having to explain it all to everyone so they can catch on but if it can make a difference then damn right i will do :)) Take a look at this about gluten and schizophenia Open Original Shared Link Even this from your OWN site https://www.celiac.com/articles/1085/1/Gluten-Causes-Brain-Disease-By-Prof-Rodney-Ford-MB-BS-MD-FRACP/Page1.html about gluten causing brain damage and greatly disrupting hormonal levels and functions even still your igorants pervades you, here is another one about gluten and infertility Open Original Shared Link , Lets just put it this way even if a person does not have diabetes does that mean its ok to eat all the sugar in the world? NO, it is just the same with gluten my friends, and people everywhere around us say yeah we know all of that and this but what the hell are they doing about it? Not one damn thing.

kareng Grand Master

Why are you arguing with us? We all know that we can't eat gluten. No one disagreeing with that. That is why we are here. We all know gluten causes multiple problems for us. Your article is from the Celiac Center in Chicago.

If you want to go gluten free because it makes you feel better, great! But there is no need to try to start a fight or be rude.

noglutenforme Newbie

Why are you arguing with us? We all know that we can't eat gluten. No one disagreeing with that. That is why we are here. We all know gluten causes multiple problems for us. Your article is from the Celiac Center in Chicago.

If you want to go gluten free because it makes you feel better, great! But there is no need to try to start a fight or be rude.

Its because skylark said it is not a fad diet and you should wait to see if you have celiac disease but i was telling her that it is much more serious then that, whether you have celiac disease or not it best to not have any gluten, You know what i mean?

Jestgar Rising Star

Its because skylark said it is not a fad diet and you should wait to see if you have celiac disease but i was telling her that it is much more serious then that, whether you have celiac disease or not it best to not have any gluten, You know what i mean?

well, don't eat gluten then. No one here has a problem with that. Sky was just trying to tell you that if you should want the tests for celiac disease, you should do them before you go gluten-free.

Skylark Collaborator

No, it is not best to avoid gluten if you're not sensitive. Whole wheat has a much better glycemic index than most of the starches they put in gluten free baked goods. There are a lot of people running around who think they're doing themselves favors by going off whole wheat bread and eating rice flour and potato starch instead. They're not.

If you can't digest grains well and want to go paleo, fine. Humans are very genetically diverse and individuals do require different diets. Just get off your soapbox becasue you're dead wrong about most of what you've posted and YouTube is NOT a legitimate reference. Again, all you are providing is evidence that you slept through all your science classes. I mourn for this country's educational system. You are basically saying "gluten is bad for some people therefore it is bad for all people." Philosophers call this a fallacy of hasty generalization.

Feminization is a result of PCBs and phthalates, and of hormones added to meat. Many of the problems people have with grains are because of GMO and selective breeding for fast growth and higher protein content, not gluten. People are malnourished and infertile because mega-agriculture has stripped all the trace elements and minerals out of the soil and therefore our food. We are drinking industrial waste products in our water disguised as "healthy fluoride" and breathing ozone and sulfur from burning too much fossil fuel. Our homes and all the plastic we surround ourselves with are out-gassing formaldehyde and other solvents. We eat toxic mercury on a regular basis becasue the whole marine food chain is contaminated with it. There IS a rise in the incidence of celaic disease in the US, but it parallels the rise in other autoimmunity like Type 1 diabetes. Gluten sensitivity and celiac is an unfortunate side effect of a toxic lifestyle, not the cause.

Go learn some science and some logic and read a LOT more before you come here and rant again. And by the way, you might try PubMed instead of YouTube.

Di2011 Enthusiast

schizophenia is perplexing and difficult to diagnose - cause and symptoms are still unknown and/or questioned/disbelieved.

I think Celiac and gluten sensitivity people like ourselves need to be as equally calm and understanding of those suffering other illness PARTICULARLY those that are yet to be well understood.

How far is " brain fog ", "depression", " suicide" and " anxiety " from schizophenia?

Do You know?

Does anyone know?

Glad to be enlightened...

lemontree1 Rookie

I can understand trying to make yourself healthier. I began this quest of finding out I have celiac disease because I physically felt awful. I figured it was related to diet and did a lot of research about diet in general. I found a lot of people spouting a lot of claims about what we eat. Even the diet I ultimately decided to follow had a lot of claims, that I believe are unfounded and not completely backed by science. But-- I followed the diet because it felt right to me. I switched to whole foods, mostly vegan diet. I was hungry for the first little while. Then I figured out that eating legumes was the only way to curb my hunger. Within a week I felt better, my hypoglycemic swings ceased. Still it wasn't enough for me, because I was still eating whole wheat. In fact, some things got a whole lot worse.

In summary, adding legumes could help curb your hunger, and nobody really knows all the mechanisms that make our bodies work. What is true for some does not always hold true for all. And-- there are a whole lot of generalizations and jumping to conclusions going on in the "health" world. Do what feels right to you, but also recognize that others will do what feels right to them. If you must preach, try a better tactic. State your belief once and then move on if your seed doesn't seem to be taking root. That statement tend to hold true through most things in life, and if you learn it now, your life later on will be that much better.

noglutenforme Newbie

I can understand trying to make yourself healthier. I began this quest of finding out I have celiac disease because I physically felt awful. I figured it was related to diet and did a lot of research about diet in general. I found a lot of people spouting a lot of claims about what we eat. Even the diet I ultimately decided to follow had a lot of claims, that I believe are unfounded and not completely backed by science. But-- I followed the diet because it felt right to me. I switched to whole foods, mostly vegan diet. I was hungry for the first little while. Then I figured out that eating legumes was the only way to curb my hunger. Within a week I felt better, my hypoglycemic swings ceased. Still it wasn't enough for me, because I was still eating whole wheat. In fact, some things got a whole lot worse.

In summary, adding legumes could help curb your hunger, and nobody really knows all the mechanisms that make our bodies work. What is true for some does not always hold true for all. And-- there are a whole lot of generalizations and jumping to conclusions going on in the "health" world. Do what feels right to you, but also recognize that others will do what feels right to them. If you must preach, try a better tactic. State your belief once and then move on if your seed doesn't seem to be taking root. That statement tend to hold true through most things in life, and if you learn it now, your life later on will be that much better.

Yeah there are some good points you made there, i suppose it doesnt matter whether there is science there is not if you feel it just do it, i do really feel allot better since i stopped eating dairy and gluten so i will continue, my appetite seems to have balanced itself now, good news. I think the main thing that i achieved from all my posts so far is a bad reputation haha. Good to see also that you have had some good results from the stuff your doing, keep it up :).

Lisa Mentor

Yeah there are some good points you made there, i suppose it doesnt matter whether there is science there is not if you feel it just do it, i do really feel allot better since i stopped eating dairy and gluten so i will continue, my appetite seems to have balanced itself now, good news. I think the main thing that i achieved from all my posts so far is a bad reputation haha. Good to see also that you have had some good results from the stuff your doing, keep it up :).

HEY! Keep an open mind...take time to walk around this site....and take it all in. Everyone can learn new things. :)

Archived