17 replies to this topic

#1 AMom2010

AMom2010

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

I know it's early to start thinking about Thanksgiving, but I can't help it! It must be the cooler weather :)

This Thanksgiving will be my first gluten free "food" holiday and I was interested in gathering all your tried and true recipes so I can start experimenting. I saw this thread earlier about pie crusts and will have to try the vinegar pie crust - http://www.celiac.co...5255-pie-crust/

The vegetable sides should be pretty easy to do gluten free. I'm more hesitant about traditional gluten-y foods. Does anyone have a good substitute for a graham cracker crust, dinner rolls (w/ yeast), pumpkin bread, cinnamon rolls, and stuffing (or dressing)? How about a vanilla wafer knock-off for banana pudding? If you have something else that is an absolute favorite I'd love to hear about that too!

Thanks!

Oops, I almost forgot about the gravy! How the heck do you make gluten-free gravy!?!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Reba32

Reba32

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

Canadian Thanksgiving is this coming weekend, so nope, it's not too early!

There are gluten free graham crackers and graham crumbs, I've seen them in health food stores, and gluten free stores. I made s'mores with them when I went camping this summer, they were yummy :)

I was thinking of trying to make some dinner rolls this year, but I dunno if I will have the energy. I will be making pumpkin pie, and rhubarb pie, with a coconut flour pastry crust. Turkey, roast beast, roast taters, and roast neeps and gravy. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! It's a shame we only do this once a year ;)

#3 CeliacMom2008

CeliacMom2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

I've used this recipe to make into dinner rolls: http://gingerlemongi...luten-free.html

Gravy is easy. Just add a slurry of corn starch and water to turkey juice/drippings.

I collect "ends" (heels and last slice or two when we aren't going to eat it before it looses its freshness) of bread throughout the year, cube and freeze them and then use them for stuffing. No one has noticed them being gluten-free yet!

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

Oops, I almost forgot about the gravy! How the heck do you make gluten-free gravy!?!

Gravy is the most easy...use corn starch (or rice flour if you have issues with corn) to thicken in the turkey drippings. Still just as good! :D

I usually prepare corn bread dressing, or use some other gluten free breads. Once you put all the seasoning and 'stuff' ...it's just as good (and no one will notice)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Gravy is the most easy...use corn starch (or rice flour if you have issues with corn) to thicken in the turkey drippings. Still just as good! :D

I usually prepare corn bread dressing, or use some other gluten free breads. Once you put all the seasoning and 'stuff' ...it's just as good (and no one will notice)

Do you have a moisture issue with your cornbread dressing? gluten-free breads tend to stay moister, IMO.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

I know it's early to start thinking about Thanksgiving, but I can't help it! It must be the cooler weather :)

This Thanksgiving will be my first gluten free "food" holiday and I was interested in gathering all your tried and true recipes so I can start experimenting. I saw this thread earlier about pie crusts and will have to try the vinegar pie crust - http://www.celiac.co...5255-pie-crust/

The vegetable sides should be pretty easy to do gluten free. I'm more hesitant about traditional gluten-y foods. Does anyone have a good substitute for a graham cracker crust, dinner rolls (w/ yeast), pumpkin bread, cinnamon rolls, and stuffing (or dressing)? How about a vanilla wafer knock-off for banana pudding? If you have something else that is an absolute favorite I'd love to hear about that too!

Thanks!

I found gluten-free Graham cracker crumbs, haven't used them yet. Before I found them I was thinking of using a lemon or shortbread gluten-free cookie for a crumb crust.

I also found gluten-free ladyfingers and plan on tryingan Italian style cheesecake this week.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

Do you have a moisture issue with your cornbread dressing? gluten-free breads tend to stay moister, IMO.

Yes, you need to make it pretty mushy with chicken broth or other liquids, before it goes into the bird or oven.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

Yes, you need to make it pretty mushy with chicken broth or other liquids, before it goes into the bird or oven.

So you don't use less liquid?

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#9 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:49 AM

I found gluten-free Graham cracker crumbs, haven't used them yet. Before I found them I was thinking of using a lemon or shortbread gluten-free cookie for a crumb crust.

I also found gluten-free ladyfingers and plan on tryingan Italian style cheesecake this week.

FYI on the gluten-free Smoreables (graham-like crackers) firstly they are 1/3 the size so you may need 2+ boxes and secondly they are much much sweeter than wheat grahams. Test one first. Lemon might contrast the sweet better.

#10 Menic

Menic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Last year my family made stuffing (or actually dressing, since it didn't get stuffed into the bird) with both regular bread and bread made from Pamela's Bread Mix. Because Pamela's bread is a bit denser, everyone agreed that the gluten free version was actually better than the original. This was using the regular family recipe for stuffing.
Male, born 1979.
Diagnosed via endoscopy/biopsy 09/2010.
Gluten-free 10/2010.

#11 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Everyone in the Celiac world hates EnerG breads but I find they make great stuffing/dressing. The texture holds up well and doesn't fall apart like some gluten-free breads do when they bake in that liquid.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#12 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

Try making a crumb crust from Midel's gluten-free ginger snaps. The bright ginger flavor is really good with lemon ice box or apple crumb pie.

#13 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

I make pumpkin pie with a pat-in-pan crust that contains pecans.

For the filling, I use the recipe on the Libby's can but substitute coconut milk for the evaporated milk. It tastes wonderful - the coconut can't be tasted but the pie tastes rich. However, it takes about an extra 1/2 hour to cook and set in the middle.

The crust I use is modified from the crust my mother used for years, made gluten-free and dairy free for my son. I got tired of rolling out gluten-free crusts so this is easier.

Pat-in pie crust:
1/2 cup sorghum
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 tsp xanthum gum (optional)
1 egg white
1/2 cup Earth Balance, softened(or butter if you don't need to be DF/CF)
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 confectioners sugar

Mix all ingredients with pastry blender or hands. Press gently against bottom and sides of pan. Do not press on rim.

No need to bake. Fill with pumpkin, pecan or other filling.

Oh, and the gluten free goddess has a vegan pumpkin pie that people rave about.
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#14 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

Everyone in the Celiac world hates EnerG breads but I find they make great stuffing/dressing. The texture holds up well and doesn't fall apart like some gluten-free breads do when they bake in that liquid.

I'd read about the great stuffing EnerG bread makes and bought a loaf of their tapioca bread last year. I cut it into cubes and set it on a sheet pan to get stale... and it smelled so strongly (and BAD), I ended up tossing it!! Is there another EnerG bread flavor that you use?
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#15 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

I'd read about the great stuffing EnerG bread makes and bought a loaf of their tapioca bread last year. I cut it into cubes and set it on a sheet pan to get stale... and it smelled so strongly (and BAD), I ended up tossing it!! Is there another EnerG bread flavor that you use?

When I made gluteny stuffing I would dry the bread but with the EnerG I don't. I just cube it fresh and pour over just enough broth to moisten without making it soupy or mushy. I bake mine in a casserole not the bird but it would be the same for the bird, maybe minus a bit more broth because the birds gives up it's own. I don't remember which EnerG but I like a mix of darker and whiter breads-looks nice. I use the EnerG tapioca(because it's cheaper than the others) all the time for bread crumbs. Again I don't dry them, just pulse in the food processor and store in a ziplock in the freezer and don't bother to defrost while I am breading chicken strips etc.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: