36 replies to this topic

#1 maximoo

maximoo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

My DD asked me an interesting q today to which I couldn't answer. So I will ask you all here. If someone with celiac goes to jail or prison will they be given gluten-free foods or do they get what everyone gets? And if they are given gluten-free foods, are precautions taken to avoid cc?
Eager to read any answers.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:57 AM

Something I have often wondered myself. My personal feeling is that the bread and water trick would not be allowed :ph34r:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

I don't know about over there but here the hospital wouldn't allow for gluten free :/
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:20 AM

No, I was in hospital in the US and the kitchen staff didn't even know what gluten was. They had special diets for everything but gluten. So they put me on a cardiac diet which meant I couldn't eat anything :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:37 AM

I could be wrong but since the diet is a medical need, like insulin for a diabetic, they would have to make an attempt to feed the diagnosed inmate gluten free. The food would likely be very boring and I doubt most places would be very knowledgeable about CC.
Interestingly in one country, sorry I don't recall which one, they did an experiement with a prison feeding inmates the diet. They found that there was less violence but dropped the experiment because too many prisoners families snuck in gluten food and compromised the experiment.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:06 AM

From what I have heard about prisons, from people who have worked in them, you likely would be given what everyone
else eats. It would depend on the actual prison and even what you are in for. The food served in most prisons is not a nutritionally balance diet. Its cheap & easy. Even with medical documentation of illnesses that require treatment, you may not get medical care for your condition.

I'm sure someone will come on & say the prison they work at does a nice job, but I don't think that is the majority.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

I could be wrong but since the diet is a medical need, like insulin for a diabetic, they would have to make an attempt to feed the diagnosed inmate gluten free. The food would likely be very boring and I doubt most places would be very knowledgeable about CC.

I have a friend who worked as a prison psychiatrist. Prisoners in the US do NOT get adequate medical care by any stretch of the imagination. There is barely money to feed them, let alone try to get medications or special food. There isn't a chance a prisoner would get a celiac diet unless they got so sick they required regular ER visits. Even then you would be dealing with an understaffed kitchen and a cook who probably doesn't care enough to keep from CC'ing the food.

#8 swindlogg

swindlogg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

I really doubt that a prisoner wouldn't be accommodated given that his/her condition is officially diagnosed. Prisoners are still protected by the American Disabilities Act, I'm sure
gluten free June 2008
dairy free July 2008
soy free September 2008
grain free/paleo July 2011

also allergic to eggs, sunflower, potatoes, cashews, peanuts, tree nuts, yeast, shellfish, fish, sesame

#9 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

http://www.fox8.com/...0,3075863.story

This was in the local paper today. Not specific to Celiac but does touch on the fact that Kosher and Halal meals ARE provided. I would think medical necessity would also be covered but could be totally wrong.

Guess your DD just needs to keep out of prison so she doesn't have to find out ;)

#10 srall

srall

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

Note to self: "Stay out of prison."

#11 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-muslim-inmate-law-suit,0,3075863.story

This was in the local paper today. Not specific to Celiac but does touch on the fact that Kosher and Halal meals ARE provided. I would think medical necessity would also be covered but could be totally wrong.

Guess your DD just needs to keep out of prison so she doesn't have to find out ;)

I would bet that most of the "kosher, halal, vegetarian" wouldn't pass any test for actually meeting a religious standard. There may be a few systems that do a nice job.

Just because you are diagnosed with a medical illness before or during a prison term, does not mean you will get treatment for it. If you are convicted of something nasty - your chances decrease. I say this because I have known people working in several prisons.

Celiac, even diagnosed, would be considered a scam in many systems. Perhaps, keeping you from getting out early on good behavior. Just like chest pain and hypoglycemia related dizziness, etc.

The moral of the story is - Don't go to jail!

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#12 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Note to self: "Stay out of prison."

Yeah exactly.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#13 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

Interesting replies! Most of you say gluten-free would not be offered & you are probably right. What prompted DD to ask was that we were watching "Beyond scared straight" where teenagers are take to prison for a day in an attempt to set them on a good path in life. It made her think if celiacs would get proper food in jail? DD is a very good girl & would never go to prison but it cld happen--wrong place wrong time, you know anything can happen to anybody at any time.

On a slightly different tangeant recently in the news there was a man who robbed a bank so he cld get arrested in order to get medical care in jail. I guess the crappy medical care in jail is better than n nothing at all. Ironically he only stole $1 & never stayed in jail long enough to get an aspirin!

#14 Jenniferxgfx

Jenniferxgfx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

My dad used to be a prison guard and there weren't any special diet accommodations. Diabetics were expected to work with what was given (don't eat the dessert unless you want to go to the ER, which they did often)... Then a college classmate was a women's prison guard and they had a salad bar and a very carb heavy hot lunch. They purposely fed the women lots of pasta and potatoes to fatten them up and slow them down. I cringe thinking about it now that I know of celiac :(

Prisoners are NOT treated well in the US, in general. It's pretty bleak.

glutenfree since 6/2011. sick for 30 years.

borderline blood test, negative biopsy.

SEVERELY sensitive celiac with DH. sensitive to contact and ingestion.

asthma (was severe; improved exponentially after 6/11)

spina bifida & childhood SCI at L4/L5 (possibly complicated by weak bones)

countless fractures and infections.

i once listed over 100 symptoms or conditions that improved or were eliminated after 6/11.

very vegan. and, of course, i've also discovered some other food allergies.

#15 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:47 AM

Let me get this straight--women are give heavy carbs to fatten them up?! IN mens prison they have a gym & weights to make them stronger--what's wrong with this picture??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: