Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

What Tests Make A Complete Celiac Blood Panel?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 suziq0805

suziq0805

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

What lab tests should be ordered for a complete celiac panel? My 18 month old son reacted violently to we suspect wheat when introduced to solids. Genetic tests show 2 copies of DQ8 for my son. I've had tons of weird symptoms for years and am scheduled for a biopsy next week. My husband recently mentioned he's had loose stools for years, and he also is physically short stature and so skinny (I'm jealous!). He's considering getting tested to see if he could have celiac. His mom also mentioned she goes between consipation and loose stools and suffers from heartburn/acid reflux and is scheduled to have surgery for that (she mentioned my son's possible celiac to her GI doctor and when they did a endoscopy it doesn't sound like they looked for signs of celiac). Could heartburn/acid reflux go with celiac? If so it would maybe be nice to get my husband blood tested before his mom's surgery so getting into a family doctor would be quicker than a GI doctor. But our family clinic didn't run a complete celiac panel on my son so I don't know what one would involve and if we could find out what lab work we should ask for that would be wonderful!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

The following is usually considered to be a complete celiac panel:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA

The last test is a control to make sure that normal amounts of IgA are produced, otherwise the IgG versions of the tests need to be run also.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 glutengirl42

glutengirl42

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Which of these in the celiac panel determines your gluten level?

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

There is no one test that tells you a level of gluten you are eating. The deamidated gliadin peptide (DGP) is thought to be the quickest to react to gluten ingestion or removal, but does not indicate that a certain amount of gluten has been consumed. It would be an awesome test to have access to.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: